Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Original Kona Kai Artifact's for sale! Asking $3,500.00 for the Lot....

Pages: 1 19 replies

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:19 ]

Kinna like this? Groovy huh. Some Mods traveled to the Tonga Hut in NoHo for a Art Show a few mo. back to see some Great Tiki Art & hear DJ Lee spin some smooth tunes all with the coolest wheels! Good luck Tim, let us know when ya acquire the Vespa!

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:20 ]

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:21 ]

Wish I could put a bid in on that bird, truly a piece of Tiki history. Would make a nice addition to the house.

But I have to sit on my money I just made on the Africa job because no follow up gig has surfaced so far, and winter is the no shooting season in my territory. Also, the (understandable) "pick up only" condition makes it kinda hard. :)

My wife Naomi used to operate a Vespa repair shop in Burbank, and still has two old clunkers in her garage...they NEED restoring though...and are are on the wrong coast.

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:21 ]

Nomad,

I can probably scrounge up a couple hundred bucks to blow your way on a smaller item. What have you got in that range? I am just up the road so when the weather breaks I can get down there easy enough.

Matt

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:22 ]

To further drive home the historical significance of this offer (and help TN to get at least a decent, even if not desired, price for the artifacts), here is some material from my archives:

Here is the bird in situ, as seen on page 140 of the BOT:

...and here is the blueprint of the bird and the entrance A-frame art:

I also remembered that a while back I had promised Tikinomad some more blueprint pics from the Kona Kai, here they are:

...I used this one in Tiki Modern,

and part of this one in the BOT...

...from where it was turned into rock poster which now hangs in my bathroom. :)

Conclusion: Kona Kai stuff rocks!

...and here, by the way, is another classic Tiki temple application of the Papua New Guinea bird totem concept:

This one at Aloha Jhoe's in Palm Springs (also see BOT p. 28/29, and Tiki Mod p. 27)

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:24 ]

Geez Big Bro,

You have a lot of crap in your bathroom.

:)

I have a lot of crap in EVERY room of my house! That there is one half of my Tiki pendant collection. But back to the scheduled programming: Is that bird going to find a new home among the TC Ohana?

Excellent! Thanks for the blueprints and pics bigbro. I LOVE looking at stuff like that. And I do hope the bird goes to a good home. Or should I say, goes on a good home?

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:25 ]

On 2007-12-19 13:47, Tikinomad wrote:
Still available big bro!

It's not gonna fly itself to California now...is it? :) Hey, maybe if we consult a PNG witchdoctor?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-12-19 15:46 ]

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2008-07-11 14:19 ]

If I were a rich man, instead of such a biddy biddy biddy biddy biddy biddy bum, I'd jump on that "making me weep fabulous" bird.

That was the first BIG tiki resturant I remember going to with my folks. I grew up in Philly. Made such an impact I've got the entrance to that resturant tattooed on my left leg! I've always wondered what became of those amazing artifacts. Thanks for showing them to me and making me curse my decision to become a genuine beach trader and not a wealthy morgage banker. woulda coulda shoulda.

Pages: 1 19 replies