Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

How to destroy beautiful and valuable funitre

Pages: 1 14 replies

TT

I saw this set at the local thrift store for $100 the other day, blue enamel paint and what can only be descrbed as vomit-print covers, the guy told me that it was delivered by the original owner that bought it in the fifties and had "done-her-up" a couple of years back... ouch!

I think I'm going to be sick.

But that could be stripped down and restained.

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-13 15:49 ]

Go ahead and throw up on those pillows, Unkle John; no one will notice.....

C

wow that is a 80's nightmare

They would go nicely in a "tiki" den surrounded by a few painted "clown" revisionist tikis and mugs from Party City.

Did you buy the set, anyway?

TT

no i left it behind, the cane tends to soak up the oil based paints and i sure as hell couldn't live with it like that... i did stop and look back at it though..then walked to the car.. sobbing..

Wow, I have a six piece set of the same vintage rattan. Fortunately the only refurb was a recovering of the cushions sometime in the early 60ties with a cool reddish, orange Naugahyde vinyl. I know it sounds weird but it works. What is interesting is that the back of these pieces have a very nice cane weave. Really sets them off on the lanai. Pity these were put to such a shameful non period redo. Afraid it would take more work than it would be worth to strip them. Reminds me of way too many other refinishing jobs I've seen were the priceless patina was striped and then poly coated over to give it a new look.

I've heard there are places that do a "dip" for a fee. It's some kind of chemical that strips paint off of wood or rattan, I need to look into it as i have a beautiful machine age/deco rattan desk, chair and round table that someone painted poo brown in the 70's. There's always the labor intensive citrusstrip method :(

that set is PAUL FRANKL, if there is a way to save it you must try.

Yeah I have a nice set of Paul Frankl, needs upholstery though. I'm sure the set at top of thread is long gone by now.

TT

I also got a set about a year ago with 2 two seaters and 2 single seats for $200.. so i really dont have room for another set though i would have bought em if they were not..errr..defaced.....
heres my other ones:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23139&forum=5

" The more Bands of Rattan"............$$$$$$! 6 is muey bueno!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 7:38 AM

repaint it? Okay, not as cool as normal bamboo, but paint the cane in a bamboo/beige colour, and retrim it in Hawaiian print, it would still be cool, and cheap :D

That's a good solution, Hewey! Now, what the shipping to California?

heh heh heh...

Pages: 1 14 replies