Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Give the gift of TIKI MODERN!

Pages: 1 31 replies

Folks, I decided to beat the sales drum for the season here, because, though I am happy how well my new tome has been received by the Ohana, I have had very little, better: close to NO reaction from the press or other media to it so far. That might have to do with the fact that Taschen is very frugal with PR budgets (in fact, my PR man who put on the Hollywood book signing event left two months ago), or that perhaps the media thinks it is "just another Tiki book", but be it as it may, I think it makes a damn good Christmas present, for the un-initiated as well as the already obsessed.

Let's push it into it's next printing, and also, please join the support demonstrated by my friends Jeff, Wendy and Malia by leaving more 5 star feedback on Amazon, to wipe out the heathen that complain about too much Witco content (not realizing that Witco was the main "raison d'etre" for the book!):

http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Modern-Sven-Kirsten/dp/3822847178/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2177967-7992626?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187109154&sr=1-1

Mahalo and Mele Kalimoku! :D

(...and no, there is no news about ever reprinting the "old testament" [BOT])

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-12-17 12:02 ]

C

GREAT book & would indeed be a great gift!!

My mom emailed me yesterday asking if I had it - she read about it in Met Home - so maybe a bit of press is starting to hit :)

May Santa buy up the remainder of the first printing!

I just got mine at Roqe La Rue Gallery in Seattle at the Shag opening

someone could send me one, since I havent gotten one yet. sniff sniff whimper whimper.

..sb

What a suffering bastid ! :D

LT

Borders has a 40% Off Any Book coupon (sent out via email). I plan to put mine to good use today.

Edit: It expires COB today.

LOL Tiki!

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2007-12-17 12:45 ]

On 2007-12-17 12:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
What a suffering bastid ! :D

it's true!!

:cry:

Thanks, y'all, there is motion on Amazon already:
Tiki Mod has moved to a sales rank under 6000, and there is one additional review. One more thing: Hit that "YES" button under "Was this review helpful to you?" on all the positive reviews, that way Mister "Excellent except too much Witco"'s blurb will not stay on the top of all reviews. That is ONLY if you honestly feel that way, of course! :)

Bumpety bump!

Ho hoh houh!

I know somebody who is getting "Tiki Modern" for x-mas. I can't tell you who cause they might be reading this post. Here is a hint: His name rhymes with "Skiptide".

I'd help you out Sven, but I already bought it and read it. So you already have my Ho Ho Dough.

Those of you who are procrastinating, you get a lump of coal in your stocking. This book is dripping with gorgeous vintage pictures! Maybe I'll take the downtown Orlando Waitiki restaurant approach and buy another copy to tear out the pictures to wallpaper my bathroom.

T

"Tiki Modern", is already on display in my tiki room, bought it when it came out @ Borders

Thortiki

B

I can truly say I am Thoroughly Enjoying this new Book and I Highly Recommend it to Anyone who has even the smallest interest in tiki. Physically it is a Beautiful book but the content will Blow you away. I think it is your Best Book Yet,
I really am a HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY Customer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks BigBro too for the great personalized inscription.

R

On 2007-12-21 10:43, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I know somebody who is getting "Tiki Modern" for x-mas. I can't tell you who cause they might be reading this post. Here is a hint: His name rhymes with "Skiptide".

Hey! My name rhymes with "Skiptide"! I guess my bro is the coolest ever. His name rhymes with "Perm Sale".

Ok tikiphiles, why is there only 9 reviews for this book on Amazon? There are 5,000 of us lazy tiki-asses on this group and we can only muster 9 reviews for Sven's tiki bible? Pathetic! We all love to talk tiki support, and we love to talk tiki community this and ohana tiki brethern that, but where is the support when it is truly needed? Am I missing something here because I don't get it? We should have this up to 200 positive reviews just from TC'ers and get the sales rank to 200,00 through our purchases alone. This group could do that. Come on, let's give a postive Amazon review today or there might not be any more books like Tiki Modern to purchase in the future! Oh, and don't forget, if you don't have the book, buy it! :) :)

On 2007-12-22 14:33, tikiriffic wrote:
Ok tikiphiles, why is there only 9 reviews for this book on Amazon? There are 5,000 of us lazy tiki-asses on this group and we can only muster 9 reviews for Sven's tiki bible? Pathetic! We all love to talk tiki support, and we love to talk tiki community this and ohana tiki brethern that, but where is the support when it is truly needed? Am I missing something here because I don't get it? We should have this up to 200 positive reviews just from TC'ers and get the sales rank to 200,00 through our purchases alone. This group could do that. Come on, let's give a postive Amazon review today or there might not be any more books like Tiki Modern to purchase in the future! Oh, and don't forget, if you don't have the book, buy it! :) :)

Wellll....I think I found me a sales rep in Canada, thank you my friend! I think the Book of Tiki ended up with 32 reviews on Amazon, I am sure we can reach that number on the Tiki Modern link in the future.

But just to politely clarify, (not to dampen your wish for support the least bit), but the sales rank is BETTER the LOWER the number is. I was briefly on 5895 or so, but now it has fallen to a lowly 14000 something, oh woe me....

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-12-22 18:11 ]

I was just sitting back looking through this great book again. Then I started thinking whats next? Good things come in threes right so Sven what can we look forward too in the future?

I was just sitting back looking through this great book again. Then I started thinking whats next? Good things come in threes right so Sven what can we look forward too in the future?

"The Look of Tiki" That one is gonna be smaller than the other two.

IF Tiki Modern ends up selling well, maybe I can convince Taschen to do "The Big Book of The Tiki Revival", now that should be a hefty volume!

T

On 2008-01-23 09:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
IF Tiki Modern ends up selling well, maybe I can convince Taschen to do "The Big Book of The Tiki Revival", now that should be a hefty volume!

Everyone, buy four copies for yourself and then for all the birthdays of people you know. Fingers crossed

I think The Big Book of The Tiki Revival could out sell Tiki Modern . As far as tiki books go, I think BigBro's books are really the only ones worth getting. The reasons to get anything else is just to tide over.

I gifted myself with a copy of Tiki Modern, and I also gifted myself with 2 copies of The Book of Tiki when it came out. I needed one for home and one for the studio.!

Tiki Revival sounds perfect, oh boy oh boy we have to have you do that one for sure, Wendy

I received a copy for Christmas, I LOVE IT.. Really didn't know much about Witco before the book, but now catch myself searching craiglist and ebay for it.. :0 and I thought collecting mugs was addicting.. Thanks for putting together such an EXCELLENT book..

Aloha

H

TM now in stock at Freaky Boutiki in San Diego!

When I heard Taschen was preparing to release a new Sven Kirsten title, frankly I was a little worried. I couldn't imagine how he could possibly equal his last offering, but beloved Tiki scholar Kirsten's newest release Tiki Modern is three hundred plus pages of artificial environments guaranteed to cheer any tiki lover's chilly winter soul. Lots of big beautiful vintage pics are accompanied as always by Kirsten's seemingly bottomless well of mid century insight. Rather than a sequel to BOT, Tiki Modern makes an excellent companion and the initial hardcover versions are sure to be cherished and sought after for years to come.

I still get dozens of sad tikiphiles shuffling into my shop each year to ask where-o-where they might obtain an original hardcover Book of Tiki.

Do yourself a big favor and don't wait till Taschen releases a truncated softcover version of Tiki Modern just to save a few bucks.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 2:30 PM

Nicely Displayed

T

Just received my three book 'bum" set, Tiki Modern should be here tomorrow. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Thank you for that nice write up, Hank, and for that cool display. I have that shirt, you know. :)

I just bought my copy of Tiki Modern today and stumbled upon this forum looking for critical reviews of the book! Boy, am I glad I found this place! Hi, I'm new at Tiki Central and am so happy to find a place where I can talk tiki and lounge. After my beloved Port Halcyon web site and forums closed, I was lost and disoriented, looking for a home where I can celebrate my appreciation for all things mid-century modern, in music, movies, and general design. I gather Tiki Central caters to the Polynesian side of that coin so I will limit the amount of posts that are unrelated to the topics at hand. At any rate, I'm glad to be here and I hope you'll welcome me with a salutory mai tai!

Currently celebrating Les Baxter's Ritual Of The Savage on the ol' hi-fi CD player!

I'm gonna do a write up and support ya!

Thanks for the Amazon write up, I'm glad the book hit the spot. :)

Couldn't find the other one in search so I'll put it here.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fur/628202771.html

I'd like to be gifted with a "Book of Tiki"... Long story :cry:

Pages: 1 31 replies