Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Forbidden Island Vintage Mug Auction

Pages: 1 19 replies

M

Aloha, everyone!

For a long time now, I've been cooking up an idea, and I want to get feedback from TC and readers of this forum.

I want to put on a one-day auction of just vintage/collectible mugs at Forbidden Island. My idea is that it could be a huge gathering of buyers and sellers. Enough buyers to make it fun & worthwhile to the sellers, and enough sellers to offer a huge assortment and provide the incentive to buyers to save their pennies and travel out to FI. I'd like to attract people from all over, to really make this a big event- MugCon! Mugapalooza!

Here's my thoughts:

-Just mugs. They would have to be vintage or current mugs that were limited runs and are sold out.

-This would save you ebay fees, shipping drama, etc.

-Flat fee to sell at the event, not based on percentage of sales.

-I imagine a situation where there are zillions of mugs, so I think most would be sold via silent auction. Tables would be set out with the mugs on display and volunteers on hand for security, with sign up sheets for your bids. But, it would be fun to have several select pieces be sold via traditional live auction.

-Buyers would register at the door and would be given a number to use. This number is how they would identify themselves on the silent auction sheets. You would also get a sign with the number to hold up during the live auction. This would keep it anonymous(ish).

-I think registering buyers would have to provide name, contact info, and a credit card to ensure that no deadbeats skip out on bids. Just like eBay, a bid would be an ironclad commitment to buy.

I think this would be a blast. But I want to hear back from people before moving forward with this. Thoughts? Ideas? Does this sound like something you'd come out to FI for? Could I lure eBay lurkers out from hiding to something like this?

PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Mahalo all!

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll glaze up a special Kapulapu mug for the occasion.

M

FI mug events are always crowd pleasers. It would probably draw enough samples to basically be a mug art show, which would be great.

This sounds fun !!

TWO

That does sound fun, but it's not like we need much pursuading. MMMMMmmm Monkey Pod, TC Ohana, and vintage mugs???? You had me at Monkey Pod.

Fingers crossed it's on a day we can get there!

T

Mug only sale ... hmmmm !
At least the 'KoolKids will show up !!!!

M

Hi again everyone,

I'm bumping this thread to see if I can generate a little more traction in this idea before I move forward with the work involved to make it happen.

I want to know if people would come and if they would be interested in buying, selling, or both. Would you travel to Alameda for this?

Please post to this thread if you'd be interested- I need to gauge the interest level. Personally, if this moves forward, I'm planning on selling about 50 mugs from my collection. That should be a good start.

Mahalo everyone!

-martin

J

I would definitely be interested and I would be buying. Don't really have anything I'd be willing to sell right now. This is a great idea Martiki!

MA

Aloha Martiki.

I agree this is a great idea and I would likely come as a buyer as I am new to the Tiki Mug collecting. Let me know the tiki date and tiki time and I will bring my $$$. ;>)

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2008 12:29 PM

I think an auction is a great idea - we convinced Otto to do it at the last Oasis and it was really fun. We didn't end up making much money, but it was great seeing the actual people who want the mugs bidding on it right in front of you. We did mugs, Tiki sculptures, books and even some Witco stuff. It was great. Here's my suggestions.

• Don't do a silent auction. It's just no fun. Live auctions with a good talker and a beautiful gal are the way to go daddy go!

• Keep it small. Don't plan on one huge event; rather, do it often, in the winter and in the spring, summer etc.

• No fee for anybody concerned. FI is making cash by having a crowd there. The seller is making moolah. The buyer gets the mug they want. Why have a fee????

• Have a few donated mugs if you can with cash that goes to a worthy charity.

• Post all mugs to be sold on TC and other forums, way in advance of the event. Number them.

• Alert the collecting community; post ads in antique shops, local papers about the auction.

Keep in mind, a live auction is way fun and exciting, it's long overdue in the TC community and a great way of meeting folks. Get somebody who's had a bit of experience with auctions, but not TOO much. Tiki Lee from Vegas did ours and he & his wife were amazing.

M

martiki wrote:
Hi again everyone,

Hello to you, it's been too long.

*I want to know if people would come and if they would be interested in buying, selling, or both. *

I may sell a little.

I'd likely buy a bit more than I'd sell.

I'm definitely drinking more than I am buying or selling, or both.

Would you travel to Alameda for this?

No problemo. Rain, sleet, snow if that were possible...shall not keep me from my appointed rounds. Three rounds actually, after three I am in trouble.

Make mine a Nui Nui, a Captain's Grog, and a Jet Pilot (from the book, not the card)
Cheers,
Lonny

MT

I would go to such an event, and I would travel all the way to Alameda to attend. I don't have too much in the way of vintage stuff, my collection is mostly of newer things. So I would definitely attend as a buyer, and maybe I can scrounge something up amongst the small meager vintage things I do have to auction off. Oh, and I think that including "current mugs that were limited runs and are sold out" is a good idea too!

On 2008-01-09 12:47, midnite_tiki wrote:
martiki wrote:
[i]Would you travel to Alameda for this?

No problemo. Rain, sleet, snow if that were possible...shall not keep me from my appointed rounds.

Wow! No long journey complaints from Captain Odysseus, even about having to ride a train that goes underwater?

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2008-01-09 18:15 ]

J

On 2008-01-09 18:11, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2008-01-09 12:47, midnite_tiki wrote:
martiki wrote:
[i]Would you travel to Alameda for this?

No problemo. Rain, sleet, snow if that were possible...shall not keep me from my appointed rounds.

Wow! No long journey complaints from Captain Odysseus, even about having to ride a train that goes underwater?

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2008-01-09 18:15 ]

I believe he takes the bus that goes over and under the water now. Wow! A bridge and a tunnel! and no complaints!

P

I would probably be a buyer and drinker. I only have a couple I would want to sell, but I am not even sure about that.

I don't think I have a problem getting to Alameda either. HAHA

We could sell and bid and buy lots of those wonderful sweet potato fries and pina colada drinks. A great mix.

M

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've decided to move forward with this event!

Details are being worked out now, but expect an April event date. Certainly a Saturday or Sunday.

Start saving your pennies!!!

J

A couple things about April to keep in mind ... Viva Las Vegas, April 10-13, and the Tiki Farm Parking Lot sale is supposed to be some Saturday in April as well. I don't know how much VLV will draw from your audience, but I'm pretty sure at least a few of your regulars will be headed to San Clemente for the TF sale whenever that happens.

Also, are you planning to do this event inside the bar, or in the parking lot? Our weather is notoriously unpredictable in April.

M

The parking lot- but we have tents.

Will watch for those dates.

M

IT IS ON!

Come check out the details in Tiki Events:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27333&forum=17

Mahalo everyone for the feedback!

Pages: 1 19 replies