Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki mug situation at the Mai Kai. What's the deal?

Pages: 1 45 replies

D

I was at the Mai Kai last night and went into the gift shop before I left and noticed that they had no tiki mugs for sale. Let me rephrase that. With the exception of two Pink Panther tiki mugs, and a few tiki salt and pepper shakers, their were NO mugs for sale. I asked the shop dude what was going on, and I was told their was a 'problem' with Tiki Farm, and they were waiting for some new mugs to come from another company. Hmmmm...curious, I thought. Couldn't get much more info than that. Anybody got the inside angle?

Tell you what though, I hope the design by the 'new' distributor is better than what they've been carrying for the last couple of years. Ever since they stopped carrying the mugs with the embossed Mai Kai logo on the backs of them (don't know the name of the distributor) the quality of the mugs and souvenirs has kinda been bland. I wasn't real thrilled with the Tiki Farm (?) mugs they have been carrying with the Mai Kai name just printed on the base. I see those same exact mugs in Montauk with 'Moutauk, Long Island' printed on the same spot as the Mai Kai ones. BOring. They used to have some real cool stuff at the MK gift shop, but now it is more of a Florida-style gift shop. That's totally fine, I know they have to cast a pretty wide net, but let's see some goods that the legion of odd-ball Tikiphiles can appreciate and buy. Pastel colored fish statues are not what I expect to buy after having a real unique experience at the mighty Mai Kai.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2007-12-24 20:01 ]

S

The Mai Kai serves thousands a week. The tiki-phile looking for mugs in the gift shop is the rare bird. You can be sure they care, and do what they can. Its a big business.

P

RUM BARRELS!!!!

Perhaps a letter to encourage a little more variety in the wares is in order. Couldn't hurt.

I would recommend a re-phrasing of the above language. Turn it into a positive "wouldn't it be great" & all.

You're right, the Mai-Kai gift shop has to cast a very large net which translates into very little shelf-space for the stuff 'we' want.

And, specifically to the Mugs.... Tiki Farm can only make so many mugs at a go and the Mai-Kai sells them as fast as they get them. Most of the 'regulars' there have a sort of standing order to get first crack at whatever makes it in whenever it makes it in.

And, the Mai-Kai is working with two other distributors for the Rum Barrels and Mara-Amu (that is the one with the Mai-Kai on the back) mugs. The problem is both are made in China (or Japan, can't remember) and shipping is literally on 'the slow boat from China.' And, they get sold or used or broken as fast as they arrive. Add to that loss due to Field-Collection and you wind up with your Rum Barrel served in a large Brandy Snifter. That isn't a total loss since the Barrel is typically 18 ounces and the glass is 24 ounces which means more Rum Barrel for you.

Keep going to the Mai-Kai. Keep asking for stuff. Keep the Tiki Faith. Those three will make it all possible.

A healthy dose of patience helps too.

K

I wasn't real thrilled with the Tiki Farm (?) mugs they have been carrying with the Mai Kai name just printed on the base.

I'm pretty sure you mean the Chiki Tiki mugs (not Tiki Farm) printed with "Mai Kai Ft. Lauderdale" on them. Those are the cheap souvenir mugs you can get just about anywhere printed with anything. I even found them once in the gift shop of the USS North Carolina museum.

On 2007-12-25 07:39, Chip and Andy wrote:
You're right, the Mai-Kai gift shop has to cast a very large net which translates into very little shelf-space for the stuff 'we' want.

And, specifically to the Mugs.... Tiki Farm can only make so many mugs at a go and the Mai-Kai sells them as fast as they get them. Most of the 'regulars' there have a sort of standing order to get first crack at whatever makes it in whenever it makes it in.

And, the Mai-Kai is working with two other distributors for the Rum Barrels and Mara-Amu (that is the one with the Mai-Kai on the back) mugs. The problem is both are made in China (or Japan, can't remember) and shipping is literally on 'the slow boat from China.' And, they get sold or used or broken as fast as they arrive. Add to that loss due to Field-Collection and you wind up with your Rum Barrel served in a large Brandy Snifter. That isn't a total loss since the Barrel is typically 18 ounces and the glass is 24 ounces which means more Rum Barrel for you.

Keep going to the Mai-Kai. Keep asking for stuff. Keep the Tiki Faith. Those three will make it all possible.

A healthy dose of patience helps too.

This is all true, and good to hear as well. The night I went, (Dec. 23rd) around 6:30, the Molokai Lounge was pretty empty which made me a little concerned. I felt better when I saw that the main dining room was full for the show. I don't get to the Mai Kai often. Maybe twice a year when I come down to visit family. Believe me, wish it could be more. Alot of my old friends back in Ft. Lauderdale have moved away, and my Dad isn't a big fan of the Mai Kai, so I literally went this time...by MYSELF which was totally fine, had a good time anyway. Depending on the circumstances, I usually have people to go their with, but this time it had to be solo, and I wasn't going to leave the area without visiting. The only drawback was that I couldn't drink as much as I wanted because I was driving. I had one Mai Tai, and one virgin Mai Tai and that was it. I wouldn't want to get behind the wheel after drinking like five Mai Kai cocktails.

The last time I talked to Kern about it, he was anticipating Rum Barrel mugs by January from the Chinese company they're working with now. That was in October. Don't know if that slow boat literally from China is on schedule or not. I'll ask when I'm there next week.

Oh, where did I put my time machine? We would all just die to walk into the Mai-Kai gift shop circa 1960s. They sold tikis! And mugs! And cocktail glasses like the Deep Sea Diver glass and the Derby Daquiri glass! A lot of this stuff just isn't manufactured by anyone anymore.

But you can buy yourself a Basement Kahuna pendant or a Crazy Al pendant in the gift shop. You can't buy those just anywhere.

Never been to the Mai Kai...

What if a mug of, say..... only fifty or seventy five units were to arrive at the Mai Kai!? Would $50 or $60 be too much? And then a regular old brownish, greenish color of 300-500 units for maybe $15, drink included of course. Hmmm..? I'm just putzin it around for the Ohana.

I

When I was at the Mai Kai this Fall, I searched and searched for something to buy in the gift shop because I really wanted a souvenir. Badly. I couldn't find a single thing I wanted to own. Didn't see anyone else buying, either.

Did not see Basement Kahuna's or the other pendant! 8-( Missed it.

All I came away with was the free postcard.

D

On 2007-12-25 16:45, irishf wrote:
When I was at the Mai Kai this Fall, I searched and searched for something to buy in the gift shop because I really wanted a souvenir. Badly. I couldn't find a single thing I wanted to own. Didn't see anyone else buying, either.

Did not see Basement Kahuna's or the other pendant! 8-( Missed it.

All I came away with was the free postcard.

Not to get too negative, but even the free postcard is sort of unexciting.

The other thing I noticed the other night was that they had a 2007 calendar for sale behind the counter. It was cool, but a little late for that at this point. I asked if they had any 2008s, but got a lukewarm answer about when they 'might' be in. I did notice a few people in the giftshop buying the 'Florida-style' gifts so it looks like they have the right inventory.

I do see what they're up to with the kind of merchandise that they offer. Same goes for their website. Not the kind of web design I would've thought of for the Mai Kai, but I think they want to keep the diverse appeal and play it safe. If they get all retro they'd probably scare all of the families away.

Said a million times: that place is amazing. Glad I got to go the other night and hopefully will be back there in the next few months.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2007-12-25 17:16 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2007-12-25 17:17 ]

I

It is amazing. We went more than once on our trip. And took a taxi!!

If I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd be in their bar every weekend. Luckily I don't, or I'd balloon from the crab rangoon.

D

On 2007-12-25 17:56, irishf wrote:
It is amazing. We went more than once on our trip. And took a taxi!!

If I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd be in their bar every weekend. Luckily I don't, or I'd balloon from the crab rangoon.

If I lived in the area I'd probably be there all the time as well. Wonder if it would lose it's unique-ness though. Prolly not. Not exactly the type of place you'd wanna be if you watch what you eat and drink. That Pu Pu Platter they offer is great, but probably LOADED with fat and calories. Wonder how many calories a Mai Tai is. Probably the same as eating a Big Mac, excepting eating three Big Macs would make you either sick, depressed or both. 3 Mai Tais? How 'bout bringing on a fourth??!!

Sounds like you had a bad night ... 1ST. couldn't find a date in Ft. Laud. 2nd. couldn't get a 'Mug' ... Maybe you should of wound up Ft. Laud. finest 'TITTY BARS'

...If I lived in the area I'd probably be there all the time as well. Wonder if it would lose it's unique-ness though.....

Never looses it excitement. Every time we go we find or see something new or different. And the staff are always glad to see us.

But! My wallet says we go there far too often and it is the only reason we don't spend more time there.

Missed opps. for local ohana. What if you put in your extra mugs you have been looking to unload at 50/50 consignment deal? mia kia gets 'some' product, you get to unload extra mugs ,customers get to score tiki mugs. May or may no be an accounting nightmare ,but what isn't anymore? Just a thought. TD

Now there's a thought! Perhaps not just in the gift shop, but even in circulation. I can't believe the mug situation has gone on this long! It was in full mug drought when we were there for the Hukilau. A most unfortunate situation, indeed.

I had Rum Barrels, with no barrel. Shrunken Skulls with no skull mug; sometimes in a different sort of mug with a handle, about the right size, but just didn't look right.

This was back in early October. Most unfortunate indeed.

I was at the Mai Kai tonite with my parents. My dad ordered a rum barrel, no barrel, and my mom ordered a mara-amu, no tiki mugs to serve that in either. hopefully they still have mystery drink bowls =\

D

On 2007-12-28 19:53, hala_kahiki wrote:
I was at the Mai Kai tonite with my parents. My dad ordered a rum barrel, no barrel, and my mom ordered a mara-amu, no tiki mugs to serve that in either. hopefully they still have mystery drink bowls =

This is a little weird eh? The night I was there I didn't order any drinks that came in barrels or tiki mugs. Wasn't aware that they were having this 'drought'. Does anybody have any info on why this is going on? I'm almost tempted to call them and see what's going on.

G

It's my understanding that their business relationship with TikiFarm has ended. So they have sought out a new Chinese supplier. I'll pry Kern for an update tonight.

On 2007-12-28 19:53, hala_kahiki wrote:
... hopefully they still have mystery drink bowls....

As of last nite

Still good on Mystery Bowls...

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.