Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: El Duke from Tahiti Intercontinental Hotel

Pages: 1 3 replies

We just got back from a fabulous cruise of French Polynesia, and stopped at the Tiki - filled Tiki Bar at Papeete's Hotel Intercontinental. Their delectable creation, the "El Duke" won best new cocktail for 2007 from the French Polynesian Barmen's Assn.

The ingredients were printed on the drink menu, so I HAD to re-create it at home. After some trials and a number of errors, I came up with this:

EL DUKE
1 1/2 oz white rum (La Mauny from Martinique is used at the bars I visited in French Polynesia, I used Duty Free Havana Club)
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 oz defrosted Passion Fruit Pulp (I use Goya brand)
1/4 oz cinnamon syrup (Homemade Don's Spice from Surfin Safari)
3 oz Apple soda (Sonoma Sparkler Organic Apple has a nice, fruity flavor. Martinelli's is ok, but is more "cider-ey)

Shake with 1/2 cup crushed ice. Pour into tall glass with ice cubes. Garnish with orange slice & exotic flower & enjoy a fruity Polynesian cocktail.

The ingredients on the menu called for "cinnamon rum" and "passion fruit syrup". I don't know of any Cinnamon Rum, so I added the "Don's Spice". Passion Fruit syrup made the drink too sweet, so I went with the pulp. Defrost it in microwave for about 7 seconds, and mash it up in a shotglass so it'll break up & dissolve in the drink. (I'm now thinking I could maybe mix it with the lemon juice to make sure it's liquid) The shaker gets a little "expansive" when i make a double - because of the soda in the Apple juice - so I'm gonna try stirring that in later - Any suggestions from pro bartenders?

H

Any pictures of the Tiki Bar?

The drink looks very yummy, thanks for the pic! love that green color with the plumeria..

Hi, Hiltiki. Some photos of Tiki Bar at

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9527&forum=2&5

We have more photos I'll post as soon as I go through them!

Pages: 1 3 replies