Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pisco Moai

Pages: 1 6 replies

Ok, while out on the jet city junket I inquired about the pisco moai bottle. I went to the booze store and I bought one. Then just before Christmas I bought another bottle of it. I do not know why. Beadtiki and I and our parents decided to try it. My dad made the pisco sour for us. OMG yeeeeeukoz. That is a nasty drink. My mother was the only one who loved it. It was disgusting. We used the recipe that is hanging on the bottle. So, she gets the booze out of it. Unless there are some really good recipes out there. The bottle however is very neat. In WA they cost $26.75.

Well, Haole'akamai recently unearthed Duncan Nichol's (Bank Exchange) recipe for Pisco Punch. Nichols is credited with inventing the punch by that name, but I think it must have been something he dragged in from South America where there are versions of Pisco Punch all throughout PerĂº, Ecuador, Colombia, and I would guess Bolivia as well.

The bottles make great holiday decorations also!

I love how you decorated with the bottles. My bil said why not put a small strand of lights inside the bottle. Keep giving me the ideas. I appreciate it. Including the punch which I will try.

There are tons of old threads on these bottles (and some ideas ideas for uses).

The trick with Pisco Sours is that actually, the Peruvian Pisco is far better than the Chilean (the cool bottles, of which I happily have 2). Since it was the Peruvian consulate in my city who first told this to me, I was of course skeptical (Chileans and Peruvians hate each other like Chinese and Japanese, Brits/French, etc.).

So he set me up a taste test. Sure enough, the Chilean is metallic and bitter compared to the Peruvian. Pisco is, after all, in Peru. These guys did invent it. (And Yma Sumac is Peruvian - further proof of Peruvian grooviness.)

So what to do with the contents of the Chilean if you're sold on the Peruvian? Sounds like a nice punch is a good idea after all. :wink:
F

CJ

i just bought mine at the local Jons (weird ethnic market). I agree, the stuff is vile.

On 2007-12-26 08:34, The Gnomon wrote:
Well, Haole'akamai recently unearthed Duncan Nichol's (Bank Exchange) recipe for Pisco Punch. Nichols is credited with inventing the punch by that name, but I think it must have been something he dragged in from South America where there are versions of Pisco Punch all throughout PerĂº, Ecuador, Colombia, and I would guess Bolivia as well.

I ended up actually creating my own Pisco drink, although I realise that the ingredient list isn't the most convenient. :/ :

The Pisco Cooler
2 pisco
1 falernum
.25 St. George pear brandy
1 OJ
.5 peach nectar
dash fresh lemon juice
dash green Tabasco

quick blend, serve in a chimney glass with granish of an orange wedge & mint sprig

Pages: 1 6 replies