Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Secret Life of...Cocktails (FeaturingTrader Vic's Beverly Hills)

Pages: 1 2 replies

I was wondering if anybody else caught this...

I saw this episode the other night on the Food Network and they had about 8 minutes devoted to visiting the Beverly Hills Trader Vics (before they downsized things and closed the restaurant portion). Here's the blurb about the episode from The Food Network's website:

"From the Singapore Sling to the Whiskey Sour, there’s no doubt about it, America’s crazy about the cocktail. But when exactly was the first cocktail hour? And how many cocktail creations are really out there? Join host Jim O’Connor for a happy half-an-hour as he distills the mystery of mixology and spills the history of the cocktail."

Jim is a little goofy, but the segment's production value is pretty high. Jim talks with General Manager Chai Rojana and we see them make a Mai Tai, a Queen's Park Swizzle, and a couple of Stingers (served in Menehune Bowls with lit-up orange peels in the center).

I caught the episode on my DVR, but I'm not sure when or if it will air again.

G

Yes, I've seen that before and I used to have a digital copy of it on my hard drive, but at some point it disappeared. Actually, I recall that he made a Mai-Tai and a Tiki Puka Puka.

That's the one.

Chai mentioned that the Tiki Puka Puka was his favorite and Jim made fun of the name, but then they moved forward to talk about the strongest drink on the menu ...the Queen's Park Swizzle. That's the one they actually showed being made. It looked a little too strong for my taste.

Pages: 1 2 replies