Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Question for Les Baxter and Exotica experts

Pages: 1 4 replies

I have been trying to collect all of the tracks of The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter on vinyl. I've identified the LPs that they all are from except for Left Arm of Buddha, which I located as a 45 (it apparently was not on an LP). The only one I can't find is "Bacoa". I've searched Les Baxter discographies, and it's only listed on the Exotic Moods CD. It was also used in the movie The Woman Chaser in 2000.

Does anybody know if this what LP this is from, or if it was a 45? Is it perhaps on another album under another name?
Thanks

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-12-27 10:49 ]

If you're quick and/or lucky you can get it on this OOP lp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Baxter-Ritual-of-the-Savage-180g-vinyl-LP-SEALED_W0QQitemZ120200851615QQihZ002QQcategoryZ306QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to have been a 'Bonus Track' on this foreign reissue of Ritual Of The Savage.

Good Luck!

ch

On 2007-12-27 11:56, cheeky half wrote:
If you're quick and/or lucky you can get it on this OOP lp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Baxter-Ritual-of-the-Savage-180g-vinyl-LP-SEALED_W0QQitemZ120200851615QQihZ002QQcategoryZ306QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to have been a 'Bonus Track' on this foreign reissue of Ritual Of The Savage.

Good Luck!

ch

Thank you so much- I just bought it.

It had never been released before Exotic Moods. That's the original issue of the Les Baxter version.

The LP cited above came out several years after Exotic Moods.

HOWEVER, Martin Denny covered it back in the day on Exotica II. So, that's the original issue of this tune.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2007-12-27 19:18 ]

Onya Birri is correct. The song "Bacoa" as recorded by Les Baxter was previously unreleased until the double CD "Exotic Moods" came out in 1996. It also appears on the bootleg vinyl release of Ritual of the Savage, mentioned above. It was included as a bonus track. The sound quality isn't that bad but the CD version blows it away as far as sound quality.

It's amazing that this song was shelved for so many years. It was recorded in March of 1951 right before the Ritual of the Savage sessions.

It would have made more sense had it been released as the flip side to "Quiet Village. Maybe they thought it TOO exotic.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 4 replies