Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NY area: King Yum or Jade Island trips in Jan.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

A miracle has happened and I actually have my work schedules in advance.
Wanted to see if any of these dates worked for people and/or which place
they'd like to journey with us. By the way, David's new tiki name is Fang!

dinner at King Yum, Queens or Jade Island, Staten Island?
possible dates for us:

Sun. 1/13,
Fri, Sat 1/18 or 1/19
Sun 1/20

P.S. You are also all invited pre-Fisherman Band on Jan. 7
Monday, 6pm for a bite to eat at our place. Fisherman's
last free show at Otto's Shrunken Head that night around 9pm.

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2007-12-29 12:55 ]

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2007-12-30 06:59 ]

The weekends you've suggested are all good for CaptainQuad and myself. Thanks for starting this thread!

Thank you also for opening your home to us before the Fisherman show! :)

The 19th will work for me, Saturday's are always easier for NYC adventures. Would people be interested in a shuttle bus to move us around that day? I was hoping we could hit King Yum since it's the only one I haven't been too yet.

MH

Okonkuluku!

I will be in town on the 13th! ooh pleeze let mr. ho try for a 2th time to come out! what is jade island? approved containers? bartenders got a clue?

mr ho

On 2007-12-29 14:50, Mr. Ho wrote:
Okonkuluku!

I will be in town on the 13th! ooh pleeze let mr. ho try for a 2th time to come out! what is jade island? approved containers? bartenders got a clue?

mr ho

Definitely approved containers. However, it's a Chinese restaurant, so think that way when imagining the drinks. I doubt very seriously they've heard of the Grog Log. That said, we had a blast there.

mr ho

Jade Island is of course the only remaining old school joint in NYC. It's located, unlikely enough, in the Kmart plaza on Staten Island, and takes some gumption to get to. However, the food is good, the decor is on target and the drinks are good--not Tropical Bistro good but on par with, say, the Bali Hai. Their containers are approved--by Dynasty Wholesale--and they'll happily sell them as well. Personally, I can't see visiting NYC without hitting the joint.

Jade Island is of course the only remaining old school joint in NYC.

Well, along with King Yum...:wink:

Apparently Tikilicious and Steve aka The Newlyweds just went
to King Yum. They say we must go when they have karaoke night
which is Wed or Fri. and even the 90 year plus owner likes to sing!

K

What about a trip for LUNCH at Jade Island on Sunday the 13th, folks?
Then we could get home at a reasonable hour to recover for Monday.

On 2007-12-29 14:50, Mr. Ho wrote:
Okonkuluku!

mr ho

On 2007-12-30 07:00, KikiTiki wrote:

Sounds great to us!

T

On 2007-12-30 08:34, velveteenlounge wrote:

On 2007-12-30 07:00, KikiTiki wrote:

Sounds great to us!

I like this idea. ount me in.

Jack

K

Could those who have traversed to Jade Island let us know how difficult
it was to get cabs/car service to and from the ferry? It seems to me
that the boat ride could be fun- but I'd like to know we have a way to
and from the restaurant. My friend says there are a lot of weddings in
Staten Island and van services to/from the ferry could be available-
hopefully soon we'll have a count of people.

We have a vehicle that holds a total of 5- but Fang may enjoy not driving
that day....

If you're taking the ferry I would recommend a cab from the ferry station. We took car service from the restaurant to the ferry station and it was around $20 or $25, which could obviously be split among the passengers. We took a bus the first time, going to the restaurant from the ferry station, but it was crowded and took a little over an hour. Personally I think a cab or car service is worth the extra money.

I seem to remember there were cabs lined up outside the ferry station.

If the weather is clear we might drive. Otherwise we'll join you on the ferry!

[ Edited by: velveteenlounge 2007-12-30 10:40 ]

MH

okonkuluku! this sounds fun although would Yum's be easier? I think we'd prefer that...not to mention I've been waitin a year to try it! but prob up for anything...

mr. ho

Here is Jade Island photos and link:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19003&forum=4&hilite=jade%20island

I drove there - but I'm told ferry to cab is the best way to go from lower Manhattan - last I heard the ferry was still free and a cab split by 4 people can't be too much.

I'd be into going not sure what weekend fits - but MLK weekend is one that was mentioned.

King yum is subway or cab or car service - able -
I drove here too!

Karaoke is a must here are some pics... With Jimmy / Owner singing
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11818&forum=2&hilite=king%20yum

Let me know see you at ottos for Jan 9th.

On 2007-12-30 15:16, sneakyjack wrote:

I drove there - but I'm told ferry to cab is the best way to go from lower Manhattan - last I heard the ferry was still free and a cab split by 4 people can't be too much.

Yes, the ferry is still free and it is a fun start to the journey. The cab ride isn't all that long--certainly a lot quicker than the bus!

T

On 2007-12-30 15:16, sneakyjack wrote:
Here is Jade Island photos and link:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19003&forum=4&hilite=jade%20island

I'd be into going not sure what weekend fits - but MLK weekend is one that was mentioned.

King yum is subway or cab or car service - able - I drove here too!

Karaoke is a must here are some pics... With Jimmy

I visited Jade Island about 10 years ago and loved it. I drove though, and got lost. The idea of a ferry to a cab sounds ideal and if it works, should become a really great regular excursion for the NYC contingent.

King Yum looks good too.

Well, crap, I guess we have to do them both, no?

Seeing these photos inspired me to make a mai tai!

Thanks and Cheers!(and Happy New Year!)

Jack

Mary and I are up for either or both.

On 2007-12-29 12:40, KikiTiki wrote:
A miracle has happened and I actually have my work schedules in advance.
Wanted to see if any of these dates worked for people and/or which place
they'd like to journey with us. By the way, David's new tiki name is Fang!

dinner at King Yum, Queens or Jade Island, Staten Island?
possible dates for us:

Sun. 1/13,
Fri, Sat 1/18 or 1/19
Sun 1/20

P.S. You are also all invited pre-Fisherman Band on Jan. 7
Monday, 6pm for a bite to eat at our place. Fisherman's
last free show at Otto's Shrunken Head that night around 9pm.

Kiki - thanks for starting this thread. Nicole and I are around for the 7th and would love to come by and I guess we will have to suck it up for the late Monday night Fisherman show since it is the last one for a while.

Sounds like lots of other things are being kicked around too. For those other dates, we can't do the 13th, but we are available for any excursions "off the island" on the other days.

K

I guess I should have phrased it AND/OR King yum and Jade Island
Sounds like there is interest in both.

When I hear from everyone I'll try to tally up responses....

Oh, and by the way, Happy New Year!

Fang with tiki Xmas gift from family friend.

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2007-12-31 17:11 ]

On 2007-12-31 16:30, KikiTiki wrote:

Fang with tiki Xmas gift from family friend.

Fabulous! Happy New Year to all!

CaptainQuad and I are up for both Jade Island and King Yum and both of those weekends work for us.

R

Saturday the 19th is best for me and we could make a whole day out of it and hit both, one for lunch the other for dinner.

K

I propose a Friday night trip to King Yum in Queens on 1/18 when they have the karaoke.

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2008-01-12 21:56 ]

UT

I'll take the baton and run with it from here Kiki- no need to stress. I think Friday the 18th would be good for King Yum, and I think Sunday the 20th for lunch, would be good for Jade Island. Who is up for those dates?

On 2008-01-02 05:52, Urban Tiki wrote:
I think Friday the 18th would be good for King Yum, and I think Sunday the 20th for lunch, would be good for Jade Island. Who is up for those dates?

Those dates work fine for us. :)

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 9:48 PM

Okonkuluku!

Tabuzak and I, and my lady, will be at Jade Island on 1/13 either for lunch or early dinner probably. Time is not TBD. We have our own transportation lined up probably but if folks want to meet us there, feel free to email me at [email protected] for my cell and we can meet up. I'd love to meet any TC NYC ohana who would like to come, esp those who trekked out to Shun lee's this last week who I missed due to multiple polynesian paradises in midtown!

Also, as an fyi - the google maps location for King Yums is WRONG. you need to map 181st and Union Turnpike , 11366 to get the right location. Closed at 11pm ; we made it at 1022pm last night and had enough for a couple drinks and grub and we had to get booted!

On 2008-01-02 05:52, Urban Tiki wrote:
I think Friday the 18th would be good for King Yum, and I think Sunday the 20th for lunch, would be good for Jade Island. Who is up for those dates?

Me. and Fisherman on the 7th too.

Happy New Year All!

UT

Okay, so Jade Island on 13th, and King Yum on the 18th.

R

I can do King Yum on the 18th but not Jade Island on the 13th. So I'll see everyone on Friday the 18th. I'll take the afternoon off work so I can get into the city in time.

On 2008-01-03 13:33, Urban Tiki wrote:
Okay, so Jade Island on 13th, and King Yum on the 18th.

Works for us!

I know I've been the flakiest NY TCer lately, but both dates are good for me.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2008 2:34 PM

Hi

FYI - all are welcome to this.

1/13/08 - Jade Island with Mr. Ho and Tabuzak and two of our friends. (party of 4 so far...)
Arrive 8pm.

If you want to go, please call Jade directly, and add your numbers to the 8pm Brian-for-4 reservation. Please arrange your own transportation (we're covered/full already). I'll bring some vinyl and CDs if anyone is interested.

Okonkuluku!

CaptainQuad and I are still up for doing this at lunchtime, but unfortunately 8:00 is a bit late for us, since we're facing a long drive home and he has to work early Monday AM.

Is anyone still up for lunch? We got the feeling last night most weren't...

K

While we originally wanted to do it at lunchtime,
we now need the daytime hours to apartment hunt.

We are going to add ourselves to the 8pm reservation
that Mr. Ho/Tabuzak arranged and join them at that time.
I realize it is a bit late for some folks.
But we will need a couple of stiff drinks in the eve
after a weekend of apartment hunting!

On 2008-01-10 20:40, KikiTiki wrote:
While we originally wanted to do it at lunchtime,
we now need the daytime hours to apartment hunt.

Then we'll plan on seeing everyone on the 18th at King Yum. Best of luck with the apartment hunting, Kiki and Fang!

K

Sad news about King Yum- the 87 year old owner, Jimmy Eng passed away on
New Year's Eve. The funeral is Sunday, January 14.

We will have to drink a toast to him on our journey there next Friday Jan. 18
and hope his surviving family keeps the restaurant running into the future.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nyeng075529046jan07,0,5658033.story

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/01/king_yum_patriarch_jimmy_eng_dies_at_87.html

On 2008-01-12 21:54, KikiTiki wrote:
Sad news about King Yum- the 87 year old owner, Jimmy Eng passed away on
New Year's Eve. The funeral is Sunday, January 14.

We will have to drink a toast to him on our journey there next Friday Jan. 18
and hope his surviving family keeps the restaurant running into the future.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.

K

I heard the news about King Yum's owner last night from Brother Cleve.
He had seen the obituary. I'm glad Tikilicious'and Steve's Mom got
to see Jimmy Eng at Christmas time. He remembered her from her
childhood visits to the restaurant.

A weird note is on local am (yes am ) radio King Yum throws on ads about coming out to see Jimmy. And for New Years they had a Price Fixed New Years Eve celebration going "with noise makers and food" - just an odd note to share.

I hope to make it by on Friday eve later than Dinner (so drinks for sure) - we'll see! -

If you are wondering about why I listen to AM -its for traffic reports driving in and out of NYC.

BOING
"we have to keep meeting like this"

K

What time are people supposed to meet at King Yum this Friday?
Do we need to make a big reservation for dinner?

Just to complicate things more - Nicole and I may actually be in town on Friday night after all and would like to join the fun.

We have to go up to New England, but we are starting to think we should go Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon - after all, when will have the chance again to meet up at the Yum with such a respectable group? And with Kareoke in the house? Very dangerous indeed.

On 2008-01-15 05:27, leisure master wrote:
Just to complicate things more - Nicole and I may actually be in town on Friday night after all and would like to join the fun.

We have to go up to New England, but we are starting to think we should go Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon - after all, when will have the chance again to meet up at the Yum with such a respectable group? And with Kareoke in the house? Very dangerous indeed.

Respectable group? I thought you were going with us!
Would 6:30 work for a starting time?

On 2008-01-14 21:26, KikiTiki wrote:

What time are people supposed to meet at King Yum this Friday?
Do we need to make a big reservation for dinner?

Count me in for King Yum. Will there be a meet up point in Manhattan for the trip out? cabs? (preferred), time?

Paul and I are definitely in and 6:30 works well for us.

K

Fang and I are in for 6:30.

Soooooo.....

anything to report from sunday's visit to Jade Island?

Pages: 1 2 64 replies