Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hey, look what my friend made!!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hey gang,

A while back I was searching for a Don The Beachcomber coaster to try and make a replicated sign for my Tiki room. Having found a great looking coaster, I turned to my friend for help.

My friend, Leo had just purchased a CNC routing machine; he wanted to make some signs with. Well, tonight we took it for a test ride with a scan of that Don The Beachcomber coaster. This was just a 4x6 recreated wooden coaster, but it came out sweet.

In a few days, Leo plans to machine a 24"x18" wooden sign and possibly a nice set of waterproof wooden drink coasters for me. Here's some pictures, tell me what you think. This was just a trial run of the machine. The coasters will be made out of 1/4" wood, the trial run was too tall. LOL!

Happy New Year!!!

Rick

[ Edited by: Bogielocks 2007-12-30 19:47 ]

T

very cool.

Sweet!!!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2007 3:33 PM

Looks sweet :D

That's cool. Nice work!

Thanks all!

It does looks really sweet. I can't wait to get the full size sign to put on my wall. I'm sure I should be able to come up with some other things for him to make, any suggestions?

Happy New Year!

Rick

Looking for coaster scans from defunct vintage Tiki establishments. I want to have my friend try and create other coasters, that will make up a nice bar set.

Thanks in advance...

Rick

Very groovy!

B

Looks great! I would love the same sign with Don The Beachcomber part changed to "Drifter's Reef" to hang on our new deck! Send me a PM if that is possible. Kia Orana

for the duplicator routing machine - does the original scan have to be paper 2d or can it be a flat 3d? (like a carved piece of wood?)

that wood coaster does look REALLY good!!!!

The coaster started with a scan of the Don the Beachcomber coaster. I know the machine could make ting from a 3D image, but it has to be a special 3D vector image file.

That's about all I know about the machine. I've just had time to see if work off of 2D images.

Cheers!

Rick

H
harro posted on Fri, Jan 11, 2008 2:57 PM

just what exactly is a CNC machine and how does it work?

looks like quite a handy little machine.

nice work on the coaster!

That coaster looks great!

As for suggestions for other things to try, I think the Mai Kai image below would look really cool. It's not a coaster, but it's about the same size and just needs a little filling in where the hole punch was. I'm sure somebody on TC has one they can scan for you or an image of the three cannibal tikis without the center missing. These guys were used on the last Hukilau mug.

On 2008-01-11 14:57, harro wrote:
just what exactly is a CNC machine and how does it work?

Hey Harro,

Maybe this can help..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC

Rick

Trader Tom,

That looks cool. If someone can scan that for me, maybe I can have my friend try it...

Thanks Tom for the suggestion..

Cheers!

Rick

G

Actually, Trader Tom, that is a coaster. The Derby Daiquiri would be served in a special stemmed cocktail glass and the bottom would slip into that circle so that the "coaster" would stay with your glass and keep the condensation off your suit pants or aloha dress!

Here are two pictures: one of the cannibals without the center missing (although it's a different drawing) and one of the man himself holding a Derby Daquiri with the coaster attached.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2008-01-11 18:06 ]

Thanks for the correction. The hole punch threw me off. Since it IS a coaster that makes it even more suitable for a "coaster series" of repros. I can't think of any other vintage coasters right off hand. Maybe a look through the website Arkiva Tropika would turn up more. It doesn't seem to be working right now though. I tried to get on and it was a jumble of images. I think there was a promising coaster from Sebastian's Hut with an image of the Goof, but I couldn't get to it easily. Good luck with the search!

On 2008-01-07 19:36, bongofury wrote:
Looks great! I would love the same sign with Don The Beachcomber part changed to "Drifter's Reef" to hang on our new deck!

Bongo,

Here's a 3D mock up my friend did...

Cheers!

Rick

Hey Folks,

My friend Leo whipped up this wonderful 14" x 22" Don the Beachcomber sign for my wall. As you can see, it was made from a scan of the coaster.

The highlights may look black, but it's actually espresso brown. All we did was seal it with some polyurethane. It looks really cool.

Love to hear some feedback...

Rick

Pages: 1 18 replies