Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Drinks based on TC folk

Pages: 1 30 replies

P

I'm going to create a drink called the KukuAhu.
It will have some bitters and a sour essence in it.

I'm also going to create one called The Lake Surfer.
It will be earthy. Maybe a cedar stick to stir it with or something.

I'll create these within the next few weeks.

I could go on but I think it would be fun to get some others in on this.

Each of us that use this forum could create a drink based on someone else's TC name and personality... so you need to be familiar with the person on whom you wish to base your drink.

Come on, this could be fun and could generate some killer drinks.
Or at least drinks that could kill.

I'm game, this sounds like fun!

I'll make a Pablus and it will have Fresh Mint. Or should I say FRESH MINT!

I'll make a Formikahine, it will be tall and easy on the eyes but will not let your liver get away with it.

G

I made a Humuhumu. I'd show it to you, but it's missing.

Okay, I'll make a TikiBree. It's an attractive looking drink and somewhat on the sweet side.

I will concoct a WILDSVILLE and it will contain CHEESE & STALE BREAD somehow...

S

And Bacardi, of course!!

S

I started working on the recipe for a Chip And Andy, but it tasted surprisingly like a Mai Tai...

Ingredients:

3 oz W&N White Overproof
1 oz Kahlua
2 oz light cream
1½ oz guanabana nectar (Goya or other)
1 oz soft soy bean curd
1 oz Aunty Lilikoi Passion fruit syrup (or other RED passion fruit syrup)
½ oz Coco López coconut cream (or similar)
½ oz rock candy syrup
1 Persian lime (or two Key limes)
1 tbs fresh lime zest
10 drops Ginkgo Biloba extract
10 drops of Korean Ginseng extract
3 drops orange flower water
2 drops rose water
1 cup shaved ice

Preparation:

Mix the lime zest into the passion fruit syrup and let sit for a couple of days.

Strain the zest from the syrup (discard the used zest) then blend syrup with ½ oz of the cream and 1 oz of the white overproof rum, then set aside.

Blend the Bean Curd, Kahlua, Ginkgo, and Ginseng until smooth and set aside.

Combine in a shaker the remaining 1½ oz of the light cream with the remaining 2 oz of white overproof rum along with the lime juice, guabanabana nectar, rock candy syrup, coconut cream, rose water, and shaved ice—shaking until the ice has all melted; then pour into a 23½ oz hurricane glass until it is ¾ full.

Next, using a large funnel if necessary, pour the bean curd blend down into the center of the first blend so that little, if any, of the liquid reaches the sides of the glass.

Layer the passion fruit blend on top to fill the glass.

Serve with a bendy straw and garnish with a plumeria or hibiscus blossom with the orange flower water sprinkled on it.

This drink has a tropical outside, an inside of bean curd and java, and a pretty reddish top. It contains ingredients that enhance one's mental and physical acuities.

I call this drink Haole'akamai.

Maybe I'll even make one myself one of these days. 8)

UPDATE 01-02-2008

As previously noted, I haven't actually made one of these yet. When I do, I will certainly be modifying the recipe. Right now I can already see a few modifications coming.

First off, there are several quantities that I think will need adjustment. This is starting to look like it will need another jigger of W&N WO for a total of 4½ oz. Hey, it's a tall, smooth, creamy drink with lots of complexity (two vertical layers and one horizontal), plus it's a drink that completely contains another drink.

Second, I'm out of Aunty Lilikoi PF syrup, so until I replenish my stock, I'll be using my standard homemade yellow PF syrup and adding pomegranate concentrate for color. But I really should be adding it for flavor as well, so even when my AL PFS arrives, I'll have a pomegranate component in Haole'akamai's red topping. The addition of pomegranate will assist in keeping the topping as red as possible in spite of the cream it contains.

Next, there is clearly not enough Ginkgo and Ginseng. I'll be doubling the quantities to 20 drops of each. Further, instead of mixing it all into the Tofu Joe core of the drink, I'll be mixing all of the Ginkgo in with the PFS before blending the red topping and mixing all of the Ginseng in with the Kahlua before blending the Tofu Joe. I'll be doubling the quantity of the Kahlua, a good hiding place for the Ginseng which is rather 'earthy' in flavor. The Ginseng in the Tofu Joe and the Ginkgo in the Red Topping have a nice Ying and Yang arrangement. I didn't mention Tofu Joe intially to see if anyone could figure out why the Haole'akamai had a core of soy bean curd (tofu) and coffee (joe).

Another probable modification is inserting the Tofu Joe into the core of the drink. I'm anticipating the need to use a turkey baster with the bulb removed to insert down to the bottom of the drink. Then, using the funnel, I'll fill the baster and remove slowly allowing the Tofu Joe to create a decent core without spreading in the drink or causing a pool at the top.

In case people haven't tried guanabana (one of my favorite fruits from South America), the fruit is white with big black seeds (even better for spitting than watermelon seeds). My intention for using light cream is to keep the drink as white as possible, but if the cream causes the drink to solidify too much when shaken with the shaved ice, I'll step that down to whole milk first, then go onto skim if absolutely necessary. The white guanabana outer layer should have a Smoothiesque consistency, but not that of a milk shake.

I don't have any hurricane glasses right now and have no plans to get any in the near future. I also don't have access right now to any plumeria or hibiscus blossoms. I should have also included orchid blossoms as equally suitable. When I make mine, it will be without garnish in my usual 15 oz Mai Tai glass.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-01-02 11:43 ]

i've been thinking of doing something for me up here either called the Suffering Acadian or the Acadian Bastard.

It would be reminiscent of the Suffering Bastard but would need to incorporate Screech and Moxie.

I'd use the more classic recipe with Gin and Bourbon, not the rum, rum and rum version. I'm thinking I would replace the bourbon with the Screech, and half of the ginger ale with Moxie.

..sb

I give you.....

The Pablus
aka The Kahiki Moon

• 3 oz Tangerine Juice
  • 2 1/2 oz Barbancourt 15 Year
  • 1 oz Lime
  • 1 oz Maraschino Liqueur

Build in a chimney glass full of crushed ice and stir hard. Carefully pour a small dash of Grenadine (or cherry juice, it just needs to be red) in the center. Garnish with fresh mint and a straw.

It size will make all the Wahines swoon. And after a couple you too will want to dance by the light of the Kahiki Moon.

(I hope it is tart enough for you Pablus....)

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-12-31 10:44 ]

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2007-12-31 12:33 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2007 11:01 AM

Is anyone going to make a GROG? Oh wait a minute.........

S

Don't know about actual recipes, but the hyperbole..

The Tiki Bong would be a drink you would swear off of over and over as it leaves a horrible after-taste, but, it is yet so strangley good you keep making it over and over again.

MT

I'm going to sit in the corner with Grog, and lament that there is no drink named after me.

On 2007-12-31 05:57, bb moondog wrote:
I will concoct a WILDSVILLE and it will contain CHEESE & STALE BREAD somehow...

Too funny! The stale bread could be blended with Bacardi and ice. The cheese can be cubed and skewered on a toothpick with a freaky tiki flag flying. Mmmm...

On 2007-12-31 11:14, Swanky wrote:
Don't know about actual recipes, but the hyperbole..

The Tiki Bong would be a drink you would swear off of over and over as it leaves a horrible after-taste, but, it is yet so strangley good you keep making it over and over again.

I'm workin' on a Drink Named "Tiki Daze" What a great name for a drink & a long time needed Calendar! Fantastic Job there Swanky!
This Bomb of a Cocktail will have 12 ingredients in it. Stay Tuned :wink:

If you didn't buy a Calendar do so! Come the Morning you will need it Happy New year!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-12-31 18:26 ]

Working on the LLT.

Some ingredients will be Absinthe, Red Bull, Mary Jane 420, Peroxide, Napalm, Paint Pens....etc.

MT

Ben, don't forget hair products, kwaffee, balloons, and crack!

O

I present "the Ojai"
4 OZ fresh squeezed Orange Juice ( Ojai Oranges of course)
2 OZ good rum (Except Bacardi)
1/2 OZ Galliano

shake with ice and serve in phony orange shell mug.

When I was a kid, I boarded at Khrisnamurti's school here in Ojai. He had long hair and robes and I thought he was the resident granny when he taught us.
He once said;

"If I had no where to go in the world, I would travel to Ojai, sit under an orange tree to shade me from the sun and I could live off it's fruit."

It was good advice then but I now add rum and Galliano to my oranges.
Happy New Year TCers

H

Nice post Tim.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Jan 1, 2008 3:13 PM

Thanks Chip - that looks awesome and I love the Luxardo as you well know.
I'll be making one of those this week.

The Haole'akamai has been updated.

Freakin' spelling! And in such a short post.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2008-01-02 11:47 ]

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jan 2, 2008 3:19 PM

Had some fresh tangerines delivered today straight from the grove.

So I thought to myself - it's time for a "pablus" - (that sounds a bit perverted but I'm willing to go there) - and just had my first one.

Delightful indeed. VERY tart and that's the way I like it. I did use Brugal - I'm certain that the Barbancourt would make it a tad sweeter and more robust. Looking forward to the original but this one is very nice.

Mahalo Chip.

By the way, The Amber Love Goddess made one and added about a 1/4 oz. of simple syrup to it and that was very nice too.

On 2008-01-02 15:19, pablus wrote:
... I did use Brugal - I'm certain that the Barbancourt would make it a tad sweeter and more robust. ....

We truly must be brothers-from-other_mothers because I used Brugal for the first draft of this drink. I switched to the Barbancourt 'cuz too many people I know say that you can only do one of two things when drinking Brugal.... F*&k or Fight.

On 2008-01-02 15:37, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-01-02 15:19, pablus wrote:
... I did use Brugal - I'm certain that the Barbancourt would make it a tad sweeter and more robust. ....

We truly must be brothers-from-other_mothers because I used Brugal for the first draft of this drink. I switched to the Barbancourt 'cuz too many people I know say that you can only do one of two things when drinking Brugal.... F*&k or Fight.

That's the Dominican way of life, especially in Rhode Island!

That's the Dominican way of life, especially in Rhode Island!

...or Fenway!

K

Heh heh..

Pab, you crack me up. When are you coming up north?

Make sure it is in the summer when I am less bitter and sour.

Ahu

P

The Swanky:

2 oz. Demerara Rum
3/4 oz. Applejack
3/4 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
3 oz. Fresh squeezed Tangelo Juice - or any orange juice

Shake with ice, strain over ice in an Old Fashioned glass.

Nice and sweet - just the way you like it.

S

On 2008-02-24 18:23, pablus wrote:
The Swanky:

2 oz. Demerara Rum
3/4 oz. Applejack
3/4 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
3 oz. Fresh squeezed Tangelo Juice - or any orange juice

Shake with ice, strain over ice in an Old Fashioned glass.

Nice and sweet - just the way you like it.

I have a stronger affinity for tart now that Ms. Swanky is my fellow imbiber. My taste is more for the balance between sweet and tart.

After much testing (and tasting) I offer....

The Formikahini
aka A Long Tall Texan

• 1 measure of Lime Juice, fresh squeezed of course
  • 2 measures of Parfait Amour (a wonderful Orange and Lavender blend, find this one and add it to your bar! Trust me)
  • 3 measures of Tequila. Use a nice blanco or silver agave like Milagro.

Build over crushed ice in a chimney or pilsner glass. Top with soda, stir, and garnish with an exotic flower.

If you like it a bit sweeter, top it with 7 up.

If you like it a bit stronger, float an additional shot of gold tequila on the finished drink.

Thinking of you Formikahini, and imagining you singing Bali-Hai with one of these in your hand. I hope to be able to make you a couple of these at Hukilau.

(pics soon. As soon a I can find the %^(!* camera cable again....)

Hmmm The Caber-Net...Wine based...hmmm...maybe red

Let's see. A Redheaded Mermaid -- needs to have a layer of Blue Curacao AND a layer of something red or orange in it somehow. Any of you great mixologists want to take a crack at it? I'm good at samplin' but not so good at inventin'... :D

On 2007-12-31 20:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Working on the LLT.

Some ingredients will be Absinthe, Red Bull, Mary Jane 420, Peroxide, Napalm, Paint Pens....etc.

Mai Tai added: hair products, kwaffee, balloons, and crack!

--

And Id like to throw in some of that popping candy, an Action-Man, a handful of peanuts and a dash of 'Naples' yellow..

Pour all ingredients into a paint can and have your local paint-supplier give it whizz in one of those mixing machines - serve in a large hookah-boat with a lit firecracker on top.

If that dont make you a Little Lost I dont know what will..

(awww, Id share one with you Kinny!) :D

T.

Pages: 1 30 replies