Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Another lamp score - is it OA as well?

Pages: 1 3 replies

So I found another lamp (or hanging shade) - missing the insides and since it was generally in the same area as my past lamp find I am assuming its an Oceanic Arts lamp. any clues?

• I also wonder whats best to put inside this as far as bulb wattage, hanging apparatus etc.
    any help would be great
  • Mahalo

top looking down in

close up of inside

bottom

for size comparison

UT

Great find. I think most hardware stores carry "swag" kits. A kit that has the guts and chain. I would go with a black chain and wire. Maybe a 25 watt yellow bulb. Start out with the low wattage and see how it looks. I don't think you would want to go above 40 watts, but that's just MHO. Or you could buy the parts separate and enough chain to hang the light in it's chosen spot and enough wire to get to the power source. They sell plugs that attach easily on the end of the wire. Hope this helps out. Post some pics when you get it hung.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-01-03 19:00 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-01-03 19:00 ]

T
Tattoo posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 4:05 PM

Awesome Score! I'm jealous. I was recently at OA and it looks like a lamp from them although I'm not thee expert. It look like it's pre-drilled for some sort of socket. Take the exact measurement to home depot and.... good luck. Go with the wattage rating of the socket you buy. My guess is that a lamp like that is made for at least a 75W bulb and that would be more than safe. After all, it was made for restaurants. It might be nice to use a small Halogen Wide Par globe. Halogen gives you more light for the wattage and the Par is more like a projection (like those small recessed indoor kitchen light with a reflector in them). That way you focus the light on the Tapa Cloth Bottom when it's hanging. An idea. Also, if you put the light on some sort of dimmer circuit, you can buy a higher Wattage lamp and dim it down. When the voltage drops the light becomes a lot warmer and gives you that cozy bar feel.

Just make sure the physical light bulb is not touching anything and that there's some sort of ventilation on top.

Good luck!

Hey Jack! Great score!!!! adding more cool tiki decor, I see. looks like the lower right one at the bottom. and also looks really nice infront of that witco.

HOme DEPOT, OSH, any hardware store will work, they have good swag light kits, then buy a socket and wire it up. It's not that hard to do, just follow the directions and double check your work if you're nervous about it. Or, if you have an ikea near you, buy one of their hanging lamp kits for $10 and you don't have to wire squat. and while you're there you can purchase one of their many different colored low wattage compact flourescent bulbs. with a compact flourescent, you'll (almost) never have to change the bulb and you save energy in the process! Ikea is the only place I've found that has colored compact flourescent in extremely low wattage outputs.

unless you want to read by this light (???) I wouldn't go above an output of 25 watts. Even that is too high for my taste. you want a nice glow to add to the ambience (and those other awesome lights you have) so go low low low. 15w, 10w or those nifty ikea ones put out around 7w - which is a perfect glow. (I think i put a 7w ikea compact flourescent in the fish float???) don't do those x-mas light bulbs, they heat up too much.

I could be wrong on this, but I think OA used to rig these for regular sized light bulbs, not candleobra, but that doesnt mean that you couldn't use a candleobra socket.

Have fun with this light! be sure to post any ???'s if ya got 'em!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2008-01-04 18:48 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies