Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Noh of Hawaii sauces & Marinades

Pages: 1 6 replies

I found a couple of packets at my tiny corner produce market.

Here's their website:
http://www.nohfoods.com/products.htm

Has anyone tried these?

Not sure about the packets, but I love the Hawaiian Hot Sauce on SPAM and eggs.

F
Fugu posted on Sat, Jan 5, 2008 9:10 AM

I think the Char siu is tasty. My mother in law uses it as a dry rub on ribs and they turn out delicious.

I agree. I've used the BBQ Rub (Char Siu) for years. It is especially great for making Chinese Pork Tenderloin (Pork Strips) and the left-over rub is great for boneless pork chops which I later cut up into small pieces for my Pork Fried Rice.
I have used dry and wet and have sometimes added some extra spice (ginger, five spice, etc.) to it for a bit different flavor.
It gives meats that nice cherry red outer coating that you just can't get from ordinary red food coloring.
I've not used any of the other selections but they are all readily available at a nearby Asian market.

Tried the Chinese Roast Chicken marinade: It's a winner!

I made the Haupia today. My thought (never having had made Haupia, from mix or otherwise, before):

The packet calls for mixing with 1 cup water. I swapped out the water for unsweetened almond milk. It was really, really tasty. Next time, though, I would either add a second packet or use a smaller pan for it to set up in (I used a 9 x 9 pan and the pudding was less than a quarter inch thick).

I'm not fond of the Chinese Chicken mix(too much cilantro flavor), but the Chinese Duck mix is delicious. TofuJoe thought it a little sweet, but I really liked it.

Instead of using the tablespoon of water, I mixed it up this 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, 1 TBS vegetable oil, 2 TBS of mushroom flavoured soy sauce and added 2 cloves of chopped garlic. I used Veat and just popped it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes (adding a little extra broth while it cooked). Superb!

Pages: 1 6 replies