Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Some awesome Pacifica books on Aussie ebay

Pages: 1 3 replies

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 9:24 PM

I found these searching for tiki gear on Aussie ebay. Some great looking titles in there, hopefully they go to some good homes.

Here's the sellers list (pages 2,3 & 4 are basically Pacifica based books)
http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQsassZmotortrove

And some of the titles on offer:

H
harro posted on Thu, Jan 17, 2008 2:08 PM

some nice reading there.

did you pick any up Hewey?

Yes, many look interesting...especially this one, from 1961:

Raivavae was once the spiritual center of the Austral and Society islands. This book gave me some of the information (remember tiki-poto and tiki-roa?) for my "the definition of TIKI" in the BOT, (which was later censored for the Old Navy edition of Tiki Style).

It is interesting to see what a generic cover the above edition is using. The American pocket book edition still used "artsy" as opposed to pulp fiction nudity, but the back and front cover text was clearly sensationalist, designed to sell the book to the 1961 Tikiphiles:

...have we got your attention now? If not, there is more!:

...this is pure B-movie poster prose, Polynesian pop poetry at its best!

Since I know your interest must be piqued by now, I do not want to disappoint and am sharing an excerpt that could not be printed in the Book of Tiki.
WARNINK! IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED BY SEXUAL CONTENT, DO NOT CONTINUE TO READ THE TEXT BELOW!:

All in the interest of anthropological science, of course! Wonder why none of this showed up in any Tiki temple menu texts! :D

I have the 2 books from Bengt Danielsson and the book Raivavae, all are very interesting books.
But my Raivavae looks different.
Bengt Danielsson is as/was as you know from Sweden and many of his old books are quite easily available here in antique shops. There are 2 of his books i really recommend, "Raroia the happy island" and "Moruroa my love"

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-02-22 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-02-22 16:30 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies