Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Haole'akamai & TofuJoe Jet to FL (MaiKai photos pg 2)

Pages: 1 23 replies

Of course, we're heading there to visit my Mum in St. Augustine, but...

We threw into the bargaining that, in order for us to jet all the way cross the good ol' U S of A, she'd have to submit a drive down to Ft. Lauderdale for a visit to the Mai Kai. So the plans so far are:

Wed 2/20: We're flying into Jacksonville late.

[Sometime between} Thurs 2/21 - Mon 2/25: visit Mum and take an overnight trip to Ft. Lauderdale.

Tues 2/26: Fly home.

So...

1. What day would be best for the Mai Kai?

2. Where should we book a room near the Mai Kai?

3. Anyone in the (forgive my born and bred California ignorance - Northern?) Florida area want to meet up whilst we're in St. Augustine?

Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-07 14:03 ]

On 2008-01-06 22:47, Haole'akamai wrote:

1. What day would be best for the Mai Kai?

2. Where should we book a room near the Mai Kai?

Any day is good for the Mai-Kai. Wednesdays are best for Happy Hour and Friday's will sometimes have a band playing in the Molokai. Basically, you pick a day and the local O'hana will make it the best for you.

And, there is a Best Western about two blocks away on Federal Highway that seems to make most everyone happy. It is within staggering distance of the bar which may be why....

G

Hmm. You are aware that it's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from St Augustine to Ft Lauderdale, right? Not that it's not worth it, cause it definitely is, but some people forget just how big Florida is. At least it's an easy drive straight down I-95.

As for hotels in Ft Lauderdale, we usually stay at the Best Western in Oakland Park. It is 1/2 mile down the street from the Mai-Kai. Here's the website. Nothing particularly special about it except its proximity to the Mai-Kai, although it does have a nice pool area and free breakfast (if you wake up early enough - we usually don't).

If you can spare a little time, and you haven't been there before, you must make a quick stop in Daytona to see the Aku Tiki Inn and the Hawaiian Inn! They are very close to each other. Better yet, it's only an hour's drive from St Augustine, so drive down for a night at Teauila's Hawaii Dinner Show at the Hawaiian Inn or dinner at Julian's. It's great fun! If you go to Julian's, let me know and maybe we can gather some local ohana together to join you.

Here's a Mai-Kai tip I learned from Chip and I've observed several times since then: the drinks are better in the dining rooms than they are in the Molokai. They are served by two diffferent service bars. Not that they're bad in the Molokai, but they are defintely better in the dining rooms. But that's no excuse to miss happy hour in the Molokai!

G

And, there is a Best Western about two blocks away on Federal Highway that seems to make most everyone happy.

except pablus :)

Thanks guys!

Yep, we realise 4 and 1/2 hours, but when you're from California and you find yourself ONLY 4.5 from the Mai Kai...

GatorRob, that jaunt over to the Orlando area sounds great. I'll try to wrangle The Mom into it. If we make it, we'll likely have my grandma, too, and she's a fierce hoot.

G

On 2008-01-07 07:53, Haole'akamai wrote:
GatorRob, that jaunt over to the Orlando area sounds great.

Actually, I was meaning the Daytona area, not Orlando. Orlando is an extra hour away from Daytona. But, if you happen to come to Orlando, do stop by my home bar for some cocktails.

On 2008-01-07 15:45, GatorRob wrote:

On 2008-01-07 07:53, Haole'akamai wrote:
GatorRob, that jaunt over to the Orlando area sounds great.

Actually, I was meaning the Daytona area, not Orlando. Orlando is an extra hour away from Daytona. But, if you happen to come to Orlando, do stop by my home bar for some cocktails.

heh....

Did I mention the whole CA-thing?

yes, of course....

P

I'm thinking we need to be in Ft. Lauderdale that weekend as well.

btw. Jax to Ft. Lauderdale and back may be cheaper by air than by gas.
I've gotten roundtrippers for 100 before.
Plus if you do the drive you're going to want to stop at a few places and that makes the trip longer - not that it's a bad thing - just sayin'.

Stay anywhere other than the.... well... never mind. Koka Nut said it was OK and he's a sissy. :wink:
Hey - see you in Feb. I hope. Tell Joe to tear me off a piece of Forbidden Island.

So cool, Pablus!! Looks like we'll be heading down Sunday (2/24) morning (great idea about the flights, but my grandma's thinking of getting in on the road trip, so driving four will likely end up cheaper..)checking in at the BW in Oakland Park and then heading over to the MaiKai in time for dinner (and drinks) and the 7pm show.

Additionally, we probably going to make the dinner show at the Hawaiian Inn, in Daytona, on Thursday (2/21).

Does anyone know if there are vegetarian items at the Teauila's Hawaii Dinner Show?

Okay, Mom (and family) has bowed out of the Mai Kai road trip, so it'll be just TofuJoe and I coming down. We want to make dinner show reservations for that Sunday.

Would anyone else want to be included at our table?

G

Yes, we want to, but unfortunately we can't. :( Saving our pennies for a possible trip to NY in a few months. Have a great time at the Mai-Kai! Is there such a thing as NOT having a great time at the Mai-Kai?

Oh, and the Mai-Kai mug situation has been resolved (and there was great rejoicing...), so order that Rum Barrel and then buy some to take home with you.

Okay, we're all set to see you guys in Ft. Lauderdale This Sunday! We've got 5:30 dinner reservations at The MaiKai, the 7pm show, then hanging with y'all until whenever in the Molokai Bar. We are sooooo looking forward to spending time with ya!

Our room at the Oakland Park BW is set. We'll head down early to check into the room. Question: Is there any reason to get down earlier then the 5pm-MaiKai-Open? Some other meet-up place, or anything?

Have a wonderful trip you guys!!
All this talk of the Mai Kai and Molokai bar has me soooo thirsty!! It's been too long...

CongaMike, you (and the Mrs.) will be missed. We had fun last time, huh? I'll have an S.O.S. in your honour.

Oh, and it turns out Teauila's will be closed (due to the roofers crashing through the roof while trying to fix it!)while we're in FL, so it looks like we won't be going there on Thursday. We entertained the thought to driving the (1.5? 2?) hours down to Orlando to visit The Adventurer's Club (our favorite part of WDW), but it's going to have a late opening (9pm) on Thursday. Anyone have suggestions for something closer to home (St. Augustine)?

Mahalo!

O-kay! We'll be on our plane in a couple of hours. So excited! See y'all soon. :)

~T

We had a fabu time at The MaiKai. The food was wonderful, the show was spectaular. The service, stellar as always.

When we were in St. Augustine, we stumbled upon an (as far as we can tell) undiscovered mid-century Tiki bar, The Trade Winds.

We've found no mention of it either here on TC or Critiki. As it stand now, it's not its former self, but still holds many remnants showing it must have been something special in its heyday. Worth a check-out by neighboring TC Ohana.

T

Yes, being in the Mai Kai again really recharges your Tiki vibe.

We drove 4 1/2 hours each way just to spend 4 hours there and I would totally do it again.

Everyone who lives close by should really feel fortunate.

Anyone who feels their Tiki Vibe slipping should find a way to get back.

Sorry this took so long. Here are some photos of our visit to The Mai Kai. Sigh, I love it so!

G

So were you two there all by yourselves? The place looks empty!

I love the first photo. Slayed (or seduced) by the Suffering Bastard! :D

Nice pics Thayer and Scott. I love the Mai Kai.
Can you name da' boys in this shot from Molokai Reef Bar Hukilau 2004? That drink on the far right is the remnants of "Black Magic" I believe, damn good.

Who's the happy guy?

On 2008-03-08 10:04, Jungle Trader wrote:
Who's the happy guy?

You mean the Freaked Out From the Hurricane guy?

Ah, the Hurricane, very tasty drink too.

Pages: 1 23 replies