Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco in the Movies

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

The wife and I went to see Charlie Wilson's War tonight. Great movie. About 15+ minutes into it Charlie is entertaining a beatiful girl in his apartment. Above the bookcase is a Witco world map. It looks smaller than mine but it is witco or a clever hollywood copy. Scott

I don't know if it was ever made in a smaller size (like the Bongo Drummer and Male and Female Dancer), but it is not unlikely that mid-century savvy production designers use Witco nowadays. I saw the Wilrongo Fire dancers in a commercial a while back.

But what I have been really looking for, and was unable to come with for Tiki Mod, is 1960s/70s scenes that have Witco in them. I asked a couple of Blaxploitation experts because someone was sure to have seen it in an example of that genre, but no luck. Any sightings?

T

Hi Sven: well it looks real and since they show up on ebay regularly I doubt they made a copy. It is only on screen for a few seconds but even my wife said right away it looks smaller. It might have just been the shot or the big bookcase it is above. It is at the top of the screen and easy to miss unless you look for that stuff. I enjoy movies that Tom Hanks does. Especially ones he produces. He is very fussy with details. Just watch that thing you do or from earth to the moon. Very correct on the even smallest detailed stuff. Scott

[ Edited by: tikicar 2008-01-09 04:02 ]

there is a great movie called MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER aka THE EXOTIC ONES directed by ron ormand that has a witco tiki bar in it (at least i remember it that way, its been a few years since i've seen it).

its a great flick from the 60's that features some amazing burlesque and some amazing footage of new orleans from the time period...oh yeah, it also has a monster ripping a guy's arm off and then beating him with it!

On 2008-01-10 11:17, nimereht wrote:
there is a great movie called MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER aka THE EXOTIC ONES directed by ron ormand that has a witco tiki bar in it (at least i remember it that way, its been a few years since i've seen it).

its a great flick from the 60's that features some amazing burlesque and some amazing footage of new orleans from the time period...oh yeah, it also has a monster ripping a guy's arm off and then beating him with it!

If I am thinking of the same movie, and I assume we are since there can't be too many movies from the 60s set in New Orleans featuring burlesque and a monster ripping the arm off a guy, I wouldn't call it great. Well, change that, I'd call it great in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of way. I think you are right though. it may not have been actual Witco, but it sure had that feel.

1987 Frankie and Annette in 'Back to the Beach' had a Witco bar(pg 8 BOT)in it . it was in a scene on the beach. TD

N

On 2008-01-10 11:37, MNZombie wrote:

On 2008-01-10 11:17, nimereht wrote:

If I am thinking of the same movie, and I assume we are since there can't be too many movies from the 60s set in New Orleans featuring burlesque and a monster ripping the arm off a guy, I wouldn't call it great. Well, change that, I'd call it great in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of way. I think you are right though. it may not have been actual Witco, but it sure had that feel.

aw come on, its a fantastic movie! cat fights, rockabilly legend sleepy labeef biting the head off of a chicken, a guy getting the contents of a spittoon down his throat, a stripper drinking a glass of water upside down (!), what's not to like!?

yeah, granted, its not citizen kane or anything, but its a GREAT slice of new orleans scuzz from the 60's. if you dig exploitation movies this is an underrated gem that will leave you with your jaw hanging...

On 2008-01-14 09:01, nimereht wrote:

aw come on, its a fantastic movie! cat fights, rockabilly legend sleepy labeef biting the head off of a chicken, a guy getting the contents of a spittoon down his throat, a stripper drinking a glass of water upside down (!), what's not to like!?

I didn't say it was a bad movie, in fact it fits right in with my taste in films. After all my favorite movie is The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies. I was just trying to clarify what kind of flick it was. You cannot deny it would have made a great episode of MST3K.

[ Edited by: MNZombie 2008-01-14 10:54 ]

T

I saw the Witco Globe in the movie, Wonderland.

Tiki bar in the movie Midway.. Several good scenes w/a witco fountain in the background.

Ooooh, I love Hollywood WWII Movies (with alll the bad Nazis and Japs!), gotta see that one again!

I saw the Witco fire dancers on the Power Puff Girls cartoon a few years ago... I'm pretty sure they got it on ebay! Ha

I saw an old Law and Order rerun and Lenny Brisco was interviewing some guy at a flea market and he was holding a Witco.

not sure if witco and I know its not a movie but its something
Married with Children:

They are tiki like (the show was shot in the early 90s)
Note the leapord print pillows too!

I'm having trouble squinting enough to tell for sure... but toward the end of this trailer I swear I see a Witco (or very Witco-esque) bar.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/pineappleexpress/

This one?

Lonely Street-2009

Pages: 1 17 replies