Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Wahine Steel Guitarists?

Pages: 1 3 replies

R

Can anyone name a bunch of wahine steel guitarists?

Other than the late Mikilani Fo;Annie Kerr;Ida Alicante;and now,Princess Owana
Salazar...they're as scarce as hen's teeth....

B

The only one I know is Elsie Jaggers. From The lp "Elsie and Gene Jaggers-Sacred and Hawaiian Melodies" the liners notes state "The Hawaiian side is in memory of the many times Elsie played these songs with her instructor, the late Sol Hoopii, both on his radio broadcast and in personal appearances". Elsie and the Rev. Gene (ukelele) were from Turlock, Ca.

I also saw an ebay auction a while back of a custom koa wood steel guitar that was from her estate. It was beautiful.

B

Felix Mendelssohn's Hawaiian Serenader's featured a couple of Wahini.

Here's one of them playing, her name was Cynthia Read :- Sleepy Lagoon

My version of the same tune :- Click Here

I found a bunch more:

Tapu Kaua-worked with Sam Makia & Johnny Pineapple. Longtime fixture at the Hawaiian Cottage in Merchantville, NJ. She also was a hula dancer & lead guitarist. "Tapu played the sweetest steel guitar this side os heaven" died in 1991

Sue Keli'i- Played with Rodney Harris, Waikiki in the 70s and was also with the Al Harrington show. In Vegas now?

Louise (Lui Conn) Lovey-Played at the Waikiki Tavern "Excellent female steel guitar player in Hawaii pre and post WWII era. Lived in Pearl Harbor area.

Nani Makekoa-Female steel guitarist had a quartet in Honolulu with 2 other ladies and Al Camacho on bass. 40s

Alice K. Namakelua-Steel & slack key guitarist + vocalist and composer of over 200 songs. Was director in the Honolulu Parks Dept. died in the 80s-born in 1892

Ululani Visser-From the big island. Hula dancer palys steel, bass, uke,spanish guitars and sings. HSGA scholarship student of Jerry Byrd.

That's all I got.

Pages: 1 3 replies