Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

nett jr - Tiki Tour - 4/26/08

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

B

For those who havent seen the posting in the New England events, I'm putting together a mini tiki tour on April 26th.

22 seat bus, touring southern NE spots, the cape, etc.

These are spots that will most likey NOT be on the full fledged NETT in September.

This is also a "no-frills" trip. No real swag (just what I can dig up) and no raffle. Just a short-bus full of people who want to see a little more of New England tiki.

I'll bring a few gallons of something (spindrifts?) on board, and people are welcome to BYOB.

Likely stops are :

Ho Kong, Mon Kou, Chuck's China Inn, Tiki Hawaii, & Tiki Port

subject to change.

Cost is $40/person, and we'll prob start/end the day in Middleboro.

If there's enough interest, I can upgrade to the larger bus.

PM or email me to reserve your spot.

[ Edited by: bargoyle 2008-01-10 14:49 ]

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2008-01-17 05:15 ]

B

Had to change the date due to a Prior commitment. MS walk Maine is the 12th. C'mon out to that too!!!

SO the tour Jr is now on the 26th!!

SOrry!!

Yo Bargoyle. Sounds like a Tiki Blast. Let's do it. Any chance to have cocktails and pu-pu's with the Ohana is a good thing. So can you suggest a hotel/motel to finish up the day at. Don't want to ruin the day with a visit to the tiki lock-up.

B

The semi-official hotel will be the Days Inn.

http://www.daysinn-middleboro.com/

The bus will leave from there at noon on the 26th. I'd strongly suggest spending the night, or arranging some kind of sober transport home.

We should be returning to the hotel by 11:00pm.

Should be another tiki-filled day of fun!!

S

Are they giving us a break on group pricing for NETTjr?

Back by 11:00PM? That leaves us time for a room-crawl...

B

No break on rooms (I figure with 22 of us its only a dozen rooms or so) but the cost is only 60-70 bucks.

They've got a lot of 2 bed rooms avaiable, so you can split the cost with someone if needed.

Oh boy! Another tiki tour! Jr. sounds like a real good kid.
Let's corrupt him. Count us in.
Rapscallion

B

AT last count we've got 4 seats left.

If you want in, speak up quick!!

D and I are in! Put us down for two seats please!

M

Please post photos, for those of us who can only be there in spirit!

I never realized how lucky we are/were in New England to have so many cool tiki places, until I moved to a place where no one knows what I am talking about!

B

Ok, I think we're full right now.

That may change. We've had a few cancelations already (due to the date change).

I'll send out payment requests next week.

Thanks again for the support & interest!!!

Go Tour!!!!

B

Ok, the smaller bus is full, but we've got about a half-dozen on the waiting list. If we get 14 more, we are GO for the bigger bus.

ANyone else want in? talk some friends into going, etc etc.

I'll send out another email blast tonight.

I found this in the paper today, and it just happens to happen on the day of the NETT, Jr., in the same area.. Just something else we could do, after the first round of fun. I know it's Jimmy Buffett themed, just a thought..

Island Night 2008 - 4/26/2008, 6:30 pm

The Return of Island Night 2008!

Calling all Islanders, Parrotheads and Beachbums! Bring yourself and your friends for a taste of summer! Wear your best Island attire! Come ready to party!

Join us for a FUN raiser to benefit the Zeiterion!

Tropical Tailgate Tent Party 6:30 to 8:30ish (hey, it’s the islands, no one keeps time) then.. dance your way into “Z” party with legendary Buffett band “Changes in Latitude”!

Tickets are $75 which gets you into the Party-- great Island Jambalaya, 2 tropical drinks, a lei and “latitudes of Buffett attitudes” --Experience Island Night 2008 and support the Z!

I'm confused - is this the night before or the night of the tour?

Is it close to the hotel? Could be a challenge after a day of drinking.

But...I'm a little bit intrigued....is there a link or more info? 75 bones for a lei and 2 drinks? There must be food or something else I am missing.

In any event, I'll bet that our bus will have at least 40 better bartenders than that party...

Oh, and what the F is a Zeiterion and why do I want to support it?

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2008-03-13 13:37 ]

It's the night of the tour. The Zeiterion is in New Bedford about 15 minutes from the hotel. I've never been there, but just saw it in the paper.

http://www.zeiterion.org/

HC

Aloha! I'm SOOOOOOOO looking forward to the tour! the last was a blast and I'll have a week to recover from the Vermont Tiki train....or will the bus meet us at the station? we should be so lucky! I've got friends in the Plymouth Area but wouldn't miss a possible room crawl!

I dont know if we'll be back in time for that show the night of the tour. We prob wont land until around 10pm or later. Plenty of time for room crawl however....

Also, a reminder, to meet at the hotel EARLY!! We've got ALOT ground to cover, and just a day to do it in, so we need to get rocking early!

On 2008-03-13 13:49, Bogielocks wrote:
It's the night of the tour. The Zeiterion is in New Bedford about 15 minutes from the hotel. I've never been there, but just saw it in the paper.

http://www.zeiterion.org/

It's an old opera house. There actually used to be 9 (I think) such opera houses in the New Bedford area, but all got demolished, and what we now know as the Zeiterion is the only that remains. It's also supposedly the shittiest of all 9. It's not bad though -- I just can't imagine a Buffet show in there. Helenini and I play there every time we get contracted for the New Bedford Symphony Orchestra http://nbsymphony.org.

J

I saw Weird Al at the Z last year. It's not a bad venue at all. Am I going to Island night for $75? Negative.

Hey tour gang,

I found John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum in a liquor store in Brockton. Pretty cheap too, $14 a bottle. They also carry Orgeat, and Absinthe.

I can give you directions before the tour or I can pick some up if anyone needs something..

Cheers!

Rick

Hell Yeah! We want directions, name, phone#, hours!

Uhhh! Did you have to pay to see Weird Al or was that some sort of penance for some horrible deed?

Thought I would resurrect this thread.... any news to add Bargoyle? Is the event still on? Is it sold out? How many of you's guys are gonna stay overnight at the official hotel?

B

JPM,

We are indeed sold out.

I had a couple of seats recently become available, but I think they're being taken by waiting list members.

I believe that Leisure Master & a BUNCH of the NY/NJ crowd are planning on coming up Friday night & starting the party a day early!! Expect to hear from him shortly.

If you're NOT gonna be at the hotel the night before, please try to get there by 11AM. We want to leave by 11.30.

See ya for cocktails on the bus!

I know for certain that CaptainQuad and I are bringing the portabar! Feel free to drop by!

HEY! Don't have too much fun. I can't be at this one!!!!

:(

... oh alright, it's really one of these: :wink:

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-04-17 07:43 ]

Hey, Bogielocks! How 'bout that liquor store info!!!

K

On 2008-04-17 06:48, Bargoyle wrote:
f you're NOT gonna be at the hotel the night before, please try to get there by 11AM. We want to leave by 11.30.

Hey, no fair, the previous page of this thread said noon! A little sympathy for us driving down that morning... whine, whine.

It would be good to identify who/how many will be at the hotel on Friday. Room parties? Round Robins? Other ideas?

What's the best way to get a sense of how many are coming in on Friday? Could you diehards identify yourselves here with a post or if you're shy email or PM me?

birdgirl and I will be there for Friday night.

We're two more and take our portabar everywhere, anyway :blush:, so we'll be mixing!

OK, 4 people and 2 traveling bars is a great start.

We'll have the tunes, although only on ipod and not up to the Captain's hi-fi vinyl quality standards.

Field-ration Mai Tais and ipod exotica and surf. Man, we ARE roughing it...

Wait 'til you see the bus!

I love the way the bus looks like it's mowing stuff down.

We'll bring tunes as well...get the party started!

We'll also be heading up on Friday, tunes and makeshift porta-bar in tow. Can't wait!

J

Oh sure, save the good bus for the mini tour. Nice Pappy!

HC

I can see the motel in the background! .....isn't that the bus from that "Squint Eastwood" movie "The Gauntlet" ? ....Is the Tiki still on the mirror?

and all I get is a silly old train! Aloha!

On 2008-04-17 13:00, pappythesailor wrote:
Wait 'til you see the bus!

Are the windows smashed from Sully bonking his head against them? :lol:

Nope. That's the air conditioning. None of the side windows open.

S

Well I finally remembered to book a room at the motel, but only for Saturday night. I'll be sure to bring a bunch of rums for the room crawl - or room stagger by that point of the day.

S

Soooo.... Is there an itinerary posted anywhere? Does the bus leave from the motel in Middleboro?

--Suzanne

On 2008-04-22 09:16, suzanne wrote:
Soooo.... Is there an itinerary posted anywhere? Does the bus leave from the motel in Middleboro?

--Suzanne

Yes, the bus leaves from the Days Inn in Middleboro at 11:30 and we're supposed to be there by 11:00. See you soon!

S

Hurrrray!

:)

Sooooooo - any new news with the event. Ill be at the hotel - Friday night! arriving late afternoon.

Should be a good time! Looking forward to seeing everyone! :D :tiki: :drink: :D

On 2008-04-23 11:29, jpmartdog wrote:
Sooooooo - any new news with the event. Ill be at the hotel - Friday night! arriving late afternoon.

Should be a good time! Looking forward to seeing everyone! :D :tiki: :drink: :D

Glad to see you're going to make it, JPM. Depending on traffic, we'll probably be there at the same time as you (Friday afternoon), sans parrots, thank goodness.

The website still has the tentative stops listed --> Ho Kong, Mon Kou, Chuck's China Inn, Tiki Hawaii, & Tiki Port

I confirm the "likely stops" are THE stops.

Unless we see a place long the way that looks better. Then, we'll stop there.

On 2008-04-23 14:28, pappythesailor wrote:
I confirm the "likely stops" are THE stops.

Unless we see a place long the way that looks better. Then, we'll stop there.

Oh, you and your reckless abandon. Such wild disregard for itineraries and the folks who love them.
Heh heh. Just kidding. Sounds good! Thanks!

[ Edited by: Martiki-bird 2008-04-23 14:36 ]

S

What's this? Something about a possibility of changing the itinerary at the last moment? That sounds WAY too chaotic for me! You guys are a wild bunch, and I'm not so sure I handle handle this total abandon of a well-laid plan. I mean, what's next? Random U-turns? The unabashed ordering of a gin & tonic? Munching on Chinese meatballs? A helter-skelter tour of A-framed buildings?

Oooooohhhhh, somebody has got to promise to keep Pappy in control! For the love of mankind! We could wind up in Rhode Island or someplace totally unknown....

On 2008-04-23 16:51, Scottes wrote:
Oooooohhhhh, somebody has got to promise to keep Pappy in control! For the love of mankind! We could wind up in Rhode Island or someplace totally unknown....

Psssssst Scott. One of the stops IS in Rhode Island.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies