Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

MS Walk 2008 - Now with FOM!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

Aloha!
For the last couple of years, I have been asking for support from TC members for the MS Walk. The response has been phenomenal! Last year we raised almost $2500, and much of that came from TC Ohana and in particular I would like to thank dibroc for getting a tiki auction going here to raise money, and for all the others who donated items (and bought them) for the cause.

This year, a couple things are different. One, the Fraternal Order of Moai, Queequeg Chapter is the team sponsor! I am a member of the Queequegs, and I want to encourage any and all TC folk from New England to join our team and perhaps you will be inspired to join our little secret society.

Secondly, we are going to continue the tradition of having items to auction to support the cause, but I don't have anything to announce just yet. On top of the auction, we are working on a special mug to raise money for it. But these things are still in the works and we don't know yet how it will all fall out.

The first thing I would ask you to do is to read the text below from my solicitation email for team members. If you live in New England and can join the walk team (which more means you help raise money than actually walk), please follow the link for that. If you want to just donate, the link is below as well. And I thank you very much for doing either or both!

This thread can act as the point of entry for further news about auctions and mugs. Stay tuned!

Mahalo!

--sb (Jon)

I just set up the team webpage for the 2008 MS Walk in Portland.
In the last two years, this has been explicitly about my wife Traci having MS, but this year the team is sponsored by the Fraternal Order of Moai, Queequeg Chapter.

What the hell is that, you ask? Well, it's a bunch of good people who like tiki stuff who all live in New England and want to support the cause.

I want you to join my MS Walk team even if you know nothing about tiki! It's still about helping the MS Society for all they do for Traci. However, maybe we can enlighten you about the wonders of Polynesian pop. :)

Speaking of, now Traci actually works at the MS Society! She is helping other people deal with having MS on a daily basis, and she loves her job. But because of that, and the fact that not all her clients know she has MS, we want to keep her name and photo off the team webpage for confidentiality reasons.

The MS Society is a fantastic organization helping thousands of Mainers like Traci deal with living with this disease. I really hope you can walk with me as part of the team, and if you can't make it, you can donate what you can.

I left the pre-written text the MS Society wrote below, because it has decent rhetoric about why you should participate. If you want to recruit others to walk with us, some of that text might be useful.

Thank you and I hope you can join me on April 12th!

Mahalo!

--Jon

I just recently decided to participate in the walk MS and I'm inviting you to join my team!

By joining my team, you will be signing up not just for a day of fun, but also for a celebration of the great things we can achieve when working together for a common cause. Each step we take brings us one step closer to a cure - and closer to a world without multiple sclerosis. So what are you waiting for? Join my team today or make a donation on my behalf.

P.S. If you would like more information about the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, how proceeds from the walk MS are used, or the other ways you can get involved in the fight against MS, please visit nationalmssociety.org.

Click here to visit my personal page.
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Walk/MEMWalkEvents?px=2136887&pg=personal&fr_id=8343&s_tafId=70164

Click here to view the team page for Fraternal Order of Moai - Queequeg Chapter
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Walk/MEMWalkEvents?team_id=103812&pg=team&fr_id=8343&s_tafId=70164

Traci with Mr. Bali Hai -

D

The TC auction was great last year and I an working on something this year as well. I should have details in the next couple of weeks. Keep your eyes open for more info. Thanks to everyone who helped out last year with the auction.

Easy link for donating or joining the team...

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/goto/queequeg

..sb

WooHoo! Best of Luck to you in your walk. I just made my donation :)

Received! mahalo!!!

..sb

T

If it will help the auction I will donate a pair of tiki speakers. I was the lead theme designer for the winning team in the Inland Empire (So. Cal) for nine or ten years for the March Of Dimes. Haven't done anything for a while. Let me know what I can do to help.

Rick

On 2008-01-24 21:26, TikiRick wrote:
If it will help the auction I will donate a pair of tiki speakers. I was the lead theme designer for the winning team in the Inland Empire (So. Cal) for nine or ten years for the March Of Dimes. Haven't done anything for a while. Let me know what I can do to help.

Rick

thanks Rick!
i would suggest sending a PM to dibroc (see second post on this thread) as he will coordinate the auction.

--sb

T

I will have some Tiki Speakers at the Bahooka for Saturday night.

D

For info on the Bahooka dinner show follow the link.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27177&forum=17&0

This is awesome. I live in richmond VA and we participated in the ms walk last year. I would like to help if posible and if anyone is in the richmond area and would like some info please e-mail me. One of our best friends got diagnosed with ms a year and a half ago. Please keep me posted on the auction also.
BHTiki
Richmond VA

On 2008-01-29 07:12, dibroc wrote:
For info on the Bahooka dinner show follow the link.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27177&forum=17&0

This Saturday, 3/8, is the Bahooka fundraising event :) I hope to see everyone there.

Here's some news..... We were in over this past weekend and the Bahooka Tiki Mugs were only $10!!! Both in green and brown. So come down this Saturday for the fundraiser AND get a deal on some cool mugs!

SD

GOOD LUCK

WELL BE AT THE BAHOOKA EVENT DROPIN SOME COIN !!!

D
dibroc posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 7:27 AM

Can't Make the Bahooka ? No worries. The TC online auction will start on Monday 3/10/08. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27635&forum=12&start=last&1

[ Edited by: dibroc 2008-03-10 09:03 ]

Well, the Walk was today.
It was cold and rainy.
We lost several walkers due to illness.

But Johnman, Missy and I represented.

We raised over $5700 all told!! Thank you so much!
Especially Dibroc for pulling together the Lala Bahooka event!

..sb

Pages: 1 14 replies