Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Is Pepino Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I just watched Rock Around the Clock (1956) on TMC. Early in the movie Bill Haley and the Comets are preceded on stage by a Latin band headed by this guy named Tony Martinez playing some lively Cuban style stuff that caught my attention. Later, playing at a prom, Martinez and his band play some slow tempo stuff that was also very nice. Now some of you may be familiar with Tony Martinez but I had to look him up. And he ends up being Pepino, the farm hand from The Real McCoys! So now I'm hooked because I loved that show and Martinez' music (he sings and plays vibes) sounds a bit like Martin Denny. So ... is Pepino Tiki?

[ Edited by: mrtikibar 2008-01-11 21:30 ]

Judging from what you described, Pepino is obviously NOT Tiki....which by no means means :) that, if his music has a vintage tropical sound, it would not make a good soundtrack in your home Tiki lounge...if that is why you are asking.

The numbers he played certainly had a vintage tropical sound. What amazed me was seeing Martinez' performance from 1956 where he shared the front of a stage with a voluptuous mambo dancer, realizing that in 1957 he's in a barn with Walter Brennan counting chickens. By the way, Rock Around the Clock was on TCM not TMC as I mistakenly posted.

Pages: 1 2 replies