Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

February Chop!!Saturday the 16th @ Wheelers!!

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

Ok, guys!!! February Chop is coming up. Any suggestions?

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-02-12 17:17 ]

Wherever it ends up, can we get a squish in too?

B

Bill's again? That is, of course, if Bill's cool with that...

Still like the idea of Buzzy's...the view is killa over there!

Then again, if we did it over here, a few of you could glaze your clay pieces too...

The gun, babe id is all you Cruddy :-) Still on strike Birdman?

I talked to Bill last night and he was in favor of a chop this last weekend of January...the 26th since most missed the other Jan. chop....so I'm in....let the sign up list start...

I had to cancel my trip that I was planning, so I'm up for chopping at Bill's on the 26th.

B

So would this next Chop be lucky number 13, or has there been more than that?

Still on strike! Count me in as long as there is no rain, still cant find wiper problem.

id be down for a chop at buzzys. mostly because he lives like 5 minutes away from me. but where ever/ when ever in feb is good with me

I love Bills place, but I've never been to The House of Buzz.
I'm pretty open February, but if I had to choose the 23rd is a good date.

B

HEY GUYS THIS IS BOB,MEIKO GOT ME FINALLY SIGNED UP,I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR 3 MONTHS,THANKS MIEKO
I WILL BE THE HOST OF THE SIERRA CLUBS CABIN ON FEB 2-3 AND WILL BRING MY STUFF TO CHOP UP THERE,ALL OF YOU ARE WELCOME
IT IS ON MT LAGUNA 40 MILES EAST OF SD AND BIG ENOUGH FOR ALL OF US TO CHOP INSIDE IF NEED BE,ALSO ROOM FOR EVERYONE TO SPEND THE NIGHT IF THEY WANT TO,IF THERES INTEREST I WILL POST MORE INFO
AM ALSO OPEN TO GO ANY OTHER WEEKEND
THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL THE NEW TIPS I LEARNED AT BILLS

Welcome Bob!!!

Now turn off your caps and stop shouting :wink:

B

Dang, wish i was closer! i would love to come down and mangle some timber with u guys!

T

On 2008-01-28 14:35, BigToe wrote:
Dang, wish i was closer! i would love to come down and mangle some timber with u guys!

T

BigToe - I drive 200 miles round trip to do this every month. It's so worth it.

T

Irvine to Oceanside - ~50 miles. Pfffft! :wink:

Carpool with Kate!

B

I'm out from 2/19 - 2/25.... :(

B

Is anyone planning on getting a space at the Tiki Farm Parking Lot Sale?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27171&forum=17&2

I don't require much space, so it would be cool to share it with someone.

I was planning on making some plans like that. Who else has plans?
I'd plan on a few more plannning on the same plans.

What do you guys have planned?
Buzzy Out!

B

My plan was to email Holden to reserve a space (which I have already done) and share it with whoever is interested- even you, Buzzy.

:)

Hey, Im interested if it's cool. I'll even pitch for the cost, if needed.

I'm posting this just one more time.........I promise. My birthday @ the Bali Hai, 6-7pmish for dinner and drinks to follow, this Saturday, Feb 2nd, Groundhogs day. I have 8 so far, if anyone else would like to join us for dinner, let me know, otherwise join us for drinks afterwards.

Can,t make it but Happy B-Day Billy!:D

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2008 6:01 PM

The parking lot sale is basically one big daytime party that about 2-3000 people attend. Last year it was REALLY fun. I can't share my space because my shelves will take up a lot of room, but I'm bringing 3 or 4 extra chairs and anybody who wants to hang out is plenty welcome.

The spaces are usually less than 100 clams per, which is a great deal.

This year I'll have a pot of Coconut Kona Java going all day. So stop by, kick back, and make yerself at home.

If you want your own space, better email Holden right now. It sells out real fast.

I got my own space...
Right next to Dav!

Billy: I'll be by for drinks, but no dinner.

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-01-29 18:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I got my own space...
Right next to Dav!

Billy: I'll be by for drinks, but no dinner.

Buzzy Out!

Would be great to see you, man.....it's been a while, no?

ALSO!!! The Myspace page got hacked somehow, so I had to change the pass. Anyone needs to upload stuff, just send it to me.

Back to Biz........Feb chop?

I can do the 16th, or I can make it for a few hours on the 23rd.

I'm getting a booth at the parking lot sale also...but nobody is welcome to come and hang out..... :wink:

Tonight @ Bali Hai, 8pm for drinks!!!

On 2008-02-02 15:06, Billy the Crud wrote:
Tonight @ Bali Hai, 8pm for drinks!!!

C-Ya there!

Happy Birthday Billy!

Buzzy Out!

happy b-day billy hope you guys had a great time, missed you at the last chop it was to quiet , see you at the next one

T

Well, how about that! The Cheaters got their due in the end! Against the team they were caught cheating on, seems like Justice isn't really blind! And the Manning Legacy has a whole new feel to it! Sorry Randy Moss, no ring for the losers!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 6:28 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY THE CRUD!!!

Mieko sayz "16th isnt a good day for me, so I'll mention the 23rd as a possible date as well, although I could always just leave early on the 16th."

Kate sayz "I can do the 16th, or I can make it for a few hours on the 23rd."

:-?

Bill sayz "How about we shoot for the 16th, and if it rains, we'll have the 23rd as a backup."

:)

T

Works for me...but you all knew that already.

Any other thoughts about the 16th?

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 7:11 PM

If'n you guys do go with the 16th...I'm in.

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:12 PM

I can make it on the 16th. The 23rd is the Tonga Hut Show, which I hope some of you will be able to attend!

T

On 2008-02-04 20:12, Bowana wrote:
The 23rd is the Tonga Hut Show, which I hope some of you will be able to attend!

I will...but you all know that already too.

T

The 16th is good for me unless raining, still cant get wipers working.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 7:52 AM

in-out,in-out,in-out,in-out,in-out....

After telling Babe #1 that I was going to the Chop on the 16th, she chimed in with a surprise that she has been holding back from me....her boss gave her his time share thing again this year in Palm Springs for over that weekend.

Now, I like all you peoples a whole bunch, and carving with you cats is tons of fun, but I LOVE that woman! She wins.

I'm out again.

Somebody sober, drive Bowana up to the Tonga!

damn...that is pres weekend....I'm headin out to the desert....I'm out....but the 23rd I'm in!

My art and goodies...
http://www.davidlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2008-02-05 11:17 ]

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 10:57 AM

16th sounds good to me, I just have to leave early. I want to go to the Tonga Hut on the 23rd for sure, so that date is less good for me now. :)

B

im in either weekend,found a good piece of pine at the cabin,cuts like butter,also snagged a 4ft oak log that im sure will be alot harder

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 8:57 PM

On 2008-02-05 07:52, Babalu wrote:
Somebody sober, drive Bowana up to the Tonga!

:lol:

We're going to miss you Babalu, but your lady does come first!

Ceramic glazing party soon?

A couple of Tonga Hut compadres for me! Yay Kate and Mieko! :)

B

heres buzzy showing off all his bling at the last chop

[ Edited by: buzzard 2008-02-05 21:12 ]

H

I'd like to make the February Chop, since I haven't been the last 4 months!! :(

T

I can pick you up on the way if you want. I'm in Huntington Beach.

I'm out 2/16 and 2/23
I'm going to the Tonga Hut on the 23rd.

And I 2nd...the pfft...regarding driving
Kate drives about 85 miles to the Chop
I drive a about 105 miles to the Chop
Get in your car and drive!

i think i can make part of this. my bands playing a show that night, and we have practice before hand, but i think i can get a solid ammount of choppin done. Im in!

T

On 2008-02-06 16:50, HB_Tiki wrote:
I'd like to make the February Chop, since I haven't been the last 4 months!! :(

T

I can pick you up on the way if you want. I'm in Huntington Beach.

Wow! Chet's back. Now if we could just find Cammo...

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 7:18 PM

Where the hell is Cammo? Cammo, you lurking?

I'm dropping a few mugs off this weekend at the House of BuZZ for him to bring to the Chop...Buzz always has bikers hanging out over there.

We need more hippies in Space...ZOOOOM!!!

Feeling alright tonight...

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 9:11 PM

Hey Babs - Gimme a ring when you're at Buzzing at Buzzy's and I'll trek on over.

I've just got no time these days to do ANYTHING!

To condense a really long series of events, my kid is turning out to be some kind of weird guitar genius. My aunt and mother were both would-be concert pianists, so maybe its the freaky genes. He's actually played violin since like age 7 and seems to have gone over the bend with guitars since he started last summer. We bought him a Fender Sonoran - here it is -

Beaut, eh?

He also bought a Fender Strat from a friend for 75 clams. That was sort of a deal, since the kid threw in his AMP as well!

This is exactly what it looks like -

Pretty swank fer 75 eh?

He's graduated from stumming chords to doing some pretty serious finger picking in just the last few months. He's got two teachers at this point who actually want him to join their jazz and rock bands.

So the point is, high schools have NO GUITAR PROGRAMS. They have bands, they teach music theory, but they have no programs or sheet music for guitar - which is one of the few instruments that actually has a lot of its own music notation - guitar 'tab' that tells you exactly what notes to play and how.

So my kid's high school music teacher and I have been banging our heads together with a guitar club we'd organized since the beginning of the school year. We're now trying to come up with an interschool program and possibly a whole new course for next year's curriculum, namely a Guitar Composition course. The teacher is a pretty smart guy; he's a trained concert flutist.

The guitar keep in mind is the number one most played instrument in the USA, and is probably the most recognized symbol of American music. The US invented the electric guitar. They're still perfecting it.

Once you can play a guitar you can play almost any stringed instrument. Ukuleles, banjos, mandolins, etc.

No high school courses in guitar.

It drives me nutz.

Taylor Guitar also has its main factory in San Diego. They may get involved. It would be nice.

Buffalo Brothers Guitars up in Carlsbad are interested as heck, they're the best guitar shop possibly in all of California (for acoustic anyway). Last weekend we were at Truetone in Santa Monica and they're an electric-only type place; literally no comparison.

So I'll try to make it to the Chops, I love 'em, but man right now it's kind a' busy!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies