Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Looking for info on a Tiki lithograph late 60's early 70's

Pages: 1 17 replies

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 6:52 AM

We found this hand signed litho at an antique mall tagged "Abstract Mick Jagger". Go figure.....we talked down the price big time because its not a Mick Jagger :wink: and now we are trying to find out any info on it.

It is hand dated on the back of the original mat 1956.
The signature is diffucult to make out. Any idea what the name could be?
The print run # is also confusing. 21/m?

If anyone knows anything about it I'd love to know. Especially if anyone else has one.

Edited for information update. We now think the date is more likely late 60's, early 70's.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2008-01-15 10:42 ]

[ Edited by: Loki 2008-01-30 05:35 ]

Sorry, I don't know anything, but that tiki DOES resemble Mick Jagger! :lol:

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-01-15 07:31 ]

Andy and I have been watching that for a while now, I'm glad it finally found a home.

I can help with the number issue.... that is print 21 of 1000. It is common for printers to use roman numeral M for 1,000, it is easier to write and looks kind of cool.

Looks like it would have been a good lithograph to be included in Tiki Modern!

I tried to make out the signature, but was unable to make and sense of it. Jericckel? Tericekel? Not sure....

Chris

Nice. That car as the background was screwing with my carbon-dating vision, but this kind of photo solariztion technique would be too avantgarde for 1956, I would have said late 60s, or 1970s.

Then, looking at it more intently, it did click, and I recognized it as Witco's "Polynesian Fishing God", which was not produced until the early 1960s, so the date on the back must be wrong or pertaining to something else. You can see him on the cover of the TIKI TI menu (another unsolved mystery, NOT FROM the Tiki Ti in L.A.!) on page 98 of TIKI MODERN. You betcha it would have been a good addition to Tiki Modern, it being a WITCO!

Henceforth, this Tiki will be known as the "Mick Jagger" Tiki ! :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-15 09:47 ]

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 10:08 AM

Here is a cropped version for better viewing, excluding the car and glass of the frame :wink:

It appears to be a 4 color litho, black, green, orange and yellow. Perhaps the artist took a photo taken from the the location of "Jagger" in the wild?

Thanks Sven for the heads up in Tiki Modern. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

G

Nice score, Chris! At first I thought "eh, it's okay", but I think the frame and matting were throwing me off. Put that baby in a proper dark stained wood frame and it would look sweeeeeet indeed.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2008 7:28 AM

Thanks Rob...its already in the making...we made our own mat with a green and black that matches the green in the print. This weekend I'm making a bamboo frame. It already looks 100 times better.....now use that tiki magic you have and figure out the signature will ya?;)

It's a crummy pic but you get the idea.

G

No luck figuring out the artist name. Sorry. But now all I can think of is Jagger singing...

"Pleased to meet you.
Hope you guess my name."

OK kids, here he is: The Mick Jagger Tiki before he knew he was going to be named that way:

In the 1966 Witco catalog

in the 1968 Witco catalog

He kinda looks like he is saying "Uuuuh...I really have to go badly !"

Also, he is the logo Tiki on the MALAHINI menu on page 247 of TIKI MODERN (-yet another menu with no address or hint at the location of the restaurant)

G

That little "I gotta go" tiki gets around. So are we saying the print has to be at least post 1966? A good year. I was enjoying my first birthday cake. :)

On 2008-01-16 16:09, GatorRob wrote:
That little "I gotta go" tiki gets around. So are we saying the print has to be at least post 1966?

This guy did not appear before the early 60s. But judging by its style, I am estimating the print to be from the early 70s.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2008 5:30 PM

Nice sluthing Bigbro...Any idea on the production run of Mick? His first year of production and last? I still think the artist saw this in the wild and took a picture and then made the litho from that.

Come on people there were 1000 of these made, someone has to have one too...

By the way, Mick is much smaller than I would have thought...wait that didnt come out right....:wink:

[ Edited by: Loki 2008-01-16 17:30 ]

Hey, don't call me a slut thing ! :D

Yeah, considering that we know of two joints that had him as menu cover Tiki, and the fact that he was probably in production from the early 60s to the early 70s...some should have survived the abolishment of Tiki.

Now you have a grail to hunt!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 17, 2008 5:37 AM

"Frederick J. Jericho".

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 30, 2008 5:33 AM

Just an update on the unknow print.We made a new mat and frame for it.At least it looks better now.

Mick looks so much happier now!!

Nice mat/frame job, Loki!
F

G

Looks to me like he finally got some "satisfaction". :D Very nice job Loki. I really dig the wall it's on too. Nice job.

Pages: 1 17 replies