Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Can someone give me the recipe for Honi Honi?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I just found a Trader Vic's Honi Honi mug in Tampa antique store and wanted the recipe served in the mug. Thanks for your help. Aaron

P

Make a Mai Tai. Instead of rum, use bourbon. I also leave out the simple syrup and use just the orgeat instead. It works better with the bourbon. Honi Honi is a nice drink. Use a good bourbon like you would use a quality rum for the mai tai. Don't use Jack Daniels. It's not bourbon. Go for a bourbon with the natural caramel and vanilla sweetness and you get a really good result. Something like Knob Creek gives it quite a kick (at 100 proof+), but a lower proof bourbon like Woodford Reserve or Bulleit works really well, too.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2008-01-16 17:30 ]

Thanks PPR, I have a Trader Vic's 1948 drink recipe book and there is only a Honi Honi cocktail, not even close to what a Mai Tai would be w/bourbon. Would the upscale Jim Beam work, as I am not really a Whisky/Bourbon guy...I have every rum you could think of but my only experience with Bourbon has been Wild Turkey 100proof (Kickin' Chicken) or Jim Beam. Thanks...Aaron

If you go into a Trader Vic's today and order a Honi Honi, you will get a bourbon Mai Tai. The drink may have changed over the years. If you get a bottle of commercial mai tai mix, it tells you on the lable that using the mix with bourbon is a honi honi. I don't recommend using the store mix, for a mai tai or a honi honi. It is much better made from scratch.

The upscale Jim Beam or the Wild Turkey should work fine. There are better bourbons, but those are perfectly acceptable. Some of the top shelf small batch bourbons can get pretty pricey. If you can find it, the best bourbon to use is Bulleit Frontier Bourbon. The cost is typically between $20 and $25 per fifth, but it tastes as good as the $50 bourbons. At 80 proof, you can drink more of it without getting hammered.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2008-01-18 11:14 ]

I made one of these for Melintur last night... the "Bourbon Mai Tai" version, not the one from TV's book of food and drink. I used Bulleit, which is just fantastic stuff.

Anyhow, the drink is pretty nice. The flavor of the mixers works very well with the fine Bourbon.

I'll have to make the one from the Book of Food and Drink to try sometime too. At 2 oz total, that's one short hoist!

Pages: 1 4 replies