Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny Cd re-issues questions....

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hello,
I'm an avid fan of Les Baxter (exotic music only), Martin Denny, and Arthur Lyman. I have every one of their albums that has been available on CD (with the exception of some compilations). In recent years we've seen a few Martin Denny albums re-issued on CD with both a mono and stereo version on each. I have held off buying those because I already own the 2-fers that were released before.
Does anyone know what the difference between the 2-fers and the recent mono/stereo re-issues are sonically? Are the new ones better in anyway that would justify me buying them all over again? I've been curious for a long time and haven't found a specific answer to this yet.
Thanks in advance,
Curious,
Louis

The stereo version of the first album, "Exotica," is a re-recording done a couple of years later with the Julius Wechter lineup. The mono/stereo version of that album is definitely worth having for that reason.

The Rev-Ola mono/stereo issues are nicely packaged (in digipaks) with great liner notes. I prefer most of those early Martin Denny albums in mono, as the stereo versions are kind of lopsided. I don't know if it would be worth repurchasing all of these just to get them in mono, though. Aside from lopsided stereo sound, the mastering on the Scamp two-fers was nicely done.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-17 05:57 ]

R

Hey there...

Check out some of the prior conversation on this topic here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15126&forum=11

Cheers!
~Rupe

To further confuse things, the stereo version of the track "Quiet Village" on the stereo "Exotica" is different from the version on the stereo "Quiet Village" album. The take on "Exotica" overall is better and closer to the mono version. The take used on the stereo "Quiet Village" LP omits a passage and never really settles into a consistent groove.

Pages: 1 3 replies