Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Cool mug find, anyone seen one of these before?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I found this mug at a local thrift store. The front reads "Mai Tai" with a tiki and bottom reads "Kauai Surf - Kauai, Hawaii" I am not 100% sure the word is "Surf", but I think it is. I see that "Kauai Surf" was the name a hotel that is now a Marriott. The mug has significant crazing inside. i am wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Thank you in advance!
Mike

Front View:

Bottom View:

.........................Mike Fachman
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mfachman

[ Edited by: mfachman 2008-01-17 12:10 ]

I also found this cool tiki at an antique store in Michigan a few months back for $35. It is only about 10 inches tall, but the detail is great, particularly on the head dress. Weighs about 4 lbs. There are no markings of any kind, anyone seen one like this before?

Front:

Side:

Mike, I thought YOU are the Fachmann !? :wink: (insider German joke)

Those are two unique finds, I have never seen any of them. The Mai Tai mug is a fine example of modern primitive pottery. The Kauai Surf had one of my favorite matchbook logo Tikis:

I did not use it for the BOT because it was of island origin, but I will use it for the Look of Tiki, with a postcard (who can post that here?) that has the same Marquesan face emblazoned on ceramic lamp cylinders in the hotel's lobby!

That wooden Tiki Caesar is funny, judging by its design which is sort of Marquesan I am guessing it is a tourist Tiki from Tahiti, where they do have the custom of wearing green leaf wreaths like that.

It is interesting to see how many more people dial in here (-MUGS!- :o ...must have..) than hewey's Pacifica book thread. They just don't know what fascinating things one can glean from books! :wink:

That is a pretty cool matchbook logo. I am pretty please with my finds, hopefully someone will recognize that mug and have some more information on it.

On 2008-01-30 13:00, mfachman wrote:
That is a pretty cool matchbook logo. I am pretty please with my finds, hopefully someone will recognize that mug and have some more information on it.

The former Kauai Surf is now the Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club. Maybe they've got an old-timer still on board who can shed some light? Just a thought.

Pages: 1 5 replies