Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Polynesian Village Tiki Glass/Mug

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

I just got a tiki (Thing) off ebay. It's from Polynesian Village at Disney World. It's glass and has a tiki face on it.

Is anyone familiar with this and is it considered a mug for tiki's sake or is it a glass?

If it's the clear glass with two different faces on it, it is considered tiki, but they are more common than pigeons in Trafalgar Square.

stunrut wrote:
...is it considered a mug for tiki's sake or is it a glass?

1/2 and 1/2. Some consider it tiki, others just a glass. There are variations out there, clear, yellow, brown-ish, frosted, all with the same mold.

The question is whether YOU like it or not? That's all that matters really.

SugarCaddyDaddy

They're great for serving Jello® in at lowbrow affairs. Especially if you use a little Crisco inside -- if you're lucky you can get the Jello to pop out in the shape of the glass. :)

T

I have 3, and discovered at the Winter Luau that they are much cooler for candles than for drinks - the face lights up if you put a tealight in it.

C

WOW!! Great idea - I picked one up at Goodwill a few months back & it's not one of my favorites - I'm definately going to try the candle thing & I think it will gain some more respect in my tiki mug collection. Thanks a bunch for the tip!!!

So what's more common....the leilani or the polynesian village mug? They're both everywhere!!! But, I can't say too much, the polynesian village mugs are what started us on tiki!

WT,
Good question! Add the Trader Dick's Peanut Guy to that list....

What a coincidence! The Polynesian Village mugs are what got me in to tiki also! I was at a friends house and she served our beer in them. I was planning a party and thought "Hey, wouldn't it be great to have mugs like this at the party." The rest is history.

We found a few polynesian village mugs at the thrift store once and my boyfriend said "Wouldn't it be cool to build a tiki bar?" to which I replied "Okay" and the rest is history. That was maybe 6 months ago and we are way out of control!

S

I love my Polynesian Village Tiki glass. I am a huge Disney fan also and it is a great crossover item. It was also cheaper than I am ever likely to find another tiki mug unless I find one at a yard sale and the owner is completely clueless. lol (Hey, it could happen!)

There's a few different versions of this glass. One is frosted, and a little taller. The other is clear and a little shorter. And I'm sure there's short/frosted and tall/clear as well.

You can find out all about it at http://www.polynesianvillageglassmugs.com/glass/mugs/

Pages: 1 11 replies