Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New tiki member and LOVIN It !!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

Finally I have arrived home to this site, man I am getting stoked for this spring. You see I am building my own personal tiki hut in the back yard this spring and being in michigan I have to take that into consideration with construction materials. My Idea is that I am a lineman for the electric company and I am going to use old but solid utility poles for the construction because lets face it they are free!! I think I may use metal roofing because it will last plus it covers in a big hurry plus I am going to use some in my bar to tie it altogether kind of like at lonestar restraunts use it. I am going to try my hand at at carving some tiki faces in the pedestal's for the bar stools ( this may or may not work out) but I am creative so I might do ok. I really wantedv to say hello to all and I am looking forward to getting some great ideas and inspiration for all of you while my tiki hut is in construction and I will take and post pics. GREAT SITE!!!

Welcome plus3! Lots and lots to read and pictures to drool over. You'll find posting pictures is snap on this site, so when you get your project in full gear you'll have to show us your progress.

T

Should be interesting seeing how you're from Michigan too.

If you know any of the high voltage people at work
ask them if they have any Varnish Cambric (sp?)sheets
laying around. (used for insulation on splices)
It makes great lining for tiki lamps.
Welcome to TC!

Hey there TikiMeplus3,
Cool idea to use the utility poles. This place called Hole in the Wall Welding near Palm Springs has a fort of sorts that was made by hundreds of poles and trunks.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22251&forum=1&vpost=275607&hilite=hole%20in%20the%20wall

Welcome to Tiki Central and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-01-19 12:37 ]

Skip I will check on the material you spoke of and if I find some I will let you know. CAnt wait to start my project, bought some tiki mask yesterday at TJ-Maxx of all places on sale, and they were really cool and will be great decoration. I need to make my hut big enough for a bar that can house a beer keg $ tap and a music center and my wife wants a popcorn machine out there too. Should be real interesting when Im done. I also just removed a utility pole a few days ago that was bent about 3 or 4 feet at the top and is permentally like that. I think I am going to use that as a palm tree next to the tiki hut when done!!!

you may want to reconsider on the utility poles..though they may be free, they come with a heavy price...your life!!...those things are treated and covered in a carcinogenic material to protect them from the elements...cutting into them will also release the toxins into the air via dust, and touching them is a no-no...especially if you have kids runnin around the yard or friends leaning up against them regularly as they drink on your patio......spend the money and buy safe poles...treat them in a few coats of marine varish and drink safely!!

TikiMeplus3,

Welcome!

Tipsy is wise and speaks the truth! If you must poison yourself...stick to rum.

Applauding your attitude for trying your hand at carving. Dude, if I can do it....

Lots of great advise in the carving threads but the best advise was "just start!". I have seen some cool Tiki Tap Pulls around, perhaps you could have one for you keg.

http://www.hawaiiandiscovery.com/index.php?cPath=62_97

Pages: 1 7 replies