Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Yard Statue

Pages: 1 6 replies

I recently converted an ugly 1980's BIG-(gl)ass floor vase into a cool yard statue, by slapping premixed concrete driveway patch all over the vase exterior. When it was dry (approximately 48 hours later)I added a face using Crayola air dry clay, which I attached to the concrete patch covering by frequently wetting my fingers in a bucket of water. A week later, I sprayed Rustoleum Stone Creations spray paint on it, then added a little bit of craft paint on the eyes & face, followed by clear sealer. Not a bad conversion for ugly vases, eh?

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-01-20 16:32 ]

S

Wha? That's more an ugly jug.

G

Well, I was going to be a little more diplomatic about it. :) But Swank's right. You might be happy with the results and all, and that's fine. But Moai it ain't. Sorry.

On 2008-01-20 15:05, GatorRob wrote:
Well, I was going to be a little more diplomatic about it. :) But Swank's right. You might be happy with the results and all, and that's fine. But Moai it ain't. Sorry.

:( Well, I was just sharing an unusual technique that I thought up for recycling old vases.

S

It's not so "ugly" as an ugly jug, but, in the end, it's a face and not too much a moai or tiki. Very imaginative and I salute your craftiness.

T

Swanky, I like your pair of jugs :wink:

G

Awww... don't take it personal. Not a thing wrong with it for what it is and I bet if you had a booth in a crafts fair, they'd sell. I was just pointing out that it really shouldn't be called a Moai statue.

We can be a pretty tough audience here! :) And, frankly, we should. It keeps us from straying too far from our roots.

Pages: 1 6 replies