Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

played with my new chainsaw first time, funnnn

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

heres a start of my first carving on a palm log i picked up on the side of the road, ive been carving a bit of "hebel" air rated concrete, with my fellow ozzy "Hewey" a member on here and i posted some pics of that here somewhere , so i thought id make it simple to stay on one post and continue as i go heres a couple of shots of the first hit and a couple of days later with my dog pestering me ..All critisism welcomed..

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2008-04-21 14:57 ]

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2008-08-28 04:37 ]

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2009-11-27 14:22 ]

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2010-04-04 03:39 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 20, 2008 2:57 AM

Mate, you've moved it inside - much better than carving in light drizzle and poor light at night! :lol: :D

Here are his previous tikis:
1st ever tiki!

2nd tiki!

Given your previous work, I'm sure this one will be another stunner :D

B

I Agree, I believe your New tiki is going to Be Excellent, Just hurry and finish him so we can see all the progress shots too. Nice Stuff!

thanks ,"now" im making time for it, ill post as i go .. Cheers Brendo

i managed to do some more work on him but been crazy at work etc

Aloha Kroozzn62!
Your tiki is looking Great my friend! you have some real nice flow going on,Keep it up , Aloha, Mooney

H
harro posted on Sat, Apr 19, 2008 8:09 AM

g'day mate,

good to see another aussie carving and posting here. that one with the bamboo framing looks awesome!

keep it up and post more pics!

cheers,
harro.

thanks dude ,theres a few aussies here.
ill be doing some more tonight ill post the pics as i go

cant decide if im gunna do the mouth open or closed it looks closed at the moment but it is the out line for the teeth but i like it this way he looks very calm and philysophical hmm or maybe a grrrr and bare those teeth???

TT

Those logs can be a real bitch.... so stringy... but its hard to find the different species(s) that California has in Oz, I have been looking at lots of palms since ive been in Cali and they are quite differnt to those cocos palms or whatever they are.. so you are doing well to get any result i think..
Cheers Maaaaaaaaate!

yeah trav hewey told me that theres "sand palm" and other less fibreous palms but in oZ?? not sure for the moment ill work the cocos as best as i can because its freeeeeeeeeee

S

You are kicking ass those are great looking and
they are just firsts wow.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2008 9:43 PM

Nice work mate :D Good to see you back into it. Although you're showing me up again... :lol:

thanks guys heres some more i added tonight

heres a front as u can see i seem to be doing one side at a time ,hmm maybe from when i dabbled with pinstriping that seemed to be the way i did that too

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 1:32 AM

Shaping up well mate. That mouth looks great :D

Great start! Really nice depth around the eyes.

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2008-04-23 09:50 ]

thanks ,its so stringy this cocas palm but its a palm ,when i finish this i may consider getting a chainsaw to cut main main pattern then work it with the chisels this way takes along time or try my hand at a log of pine tree

Heres some more work, ive started on him again.
Starting to come together,man its hard with no chainsaw and one X 1' Flatted headed chisel and a rubber hammer getting that stringy skin off ,but very rewarding will be purchasing a couple of new tools when i can ei: planner like the buzz video

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2008-08-28 04:36 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Aug 29, 2008 5:45 AM

Looks great mate :D

Kruizen- it's looking fab! Do keep us updated

KS

S

Very nice you have it going on great looking tiki man.

K

did some more tonight

B

YES, I Love the epth of that detail and how the eyes get so much darker. All those strings are why the torch initially came about being used on tikis to burn them away. Looks like you have it full under control though, Excellent tiki!

K

Thanks ,benz yeah stringy stuff, but next time ill get a power planer and take it back rather than the long way with my 1" wide straight chisel doing it all ..haha

that tikis lookin sharp

Excellent! I can't imagine what you can do when you get a full set of tools!

K

thanks yeah maybe quicker anyway.

TT

Lookin good mate, I really can't believe how far you have gone using that shitty stringy cocos palm, a real credit to you.. The lack of decent palm logs in Australia really makes it difficult to carve from palm, Fan Palm species are rare and only usually found in Established lanscaping so not often cut down, but there are always other types of tree that will carve well... well done!

K

Thanks Trav , yeah id like to hit some pine or hardwood logs soon ill keep this post runnng as i go

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2009 2:10 AM

Woooo! Brendon has finally finished the tiki off last night, just in time for me to take it down to be set up in the art show for the Aussie Hot Rod Nationals art show! By the time I got it home it was dark, so some inside shots to give you an idea of how it came out - actually it looks kinda cool in my lounge room, maybe I should just keep it to ma-self? :D

B

Yeah, it's a Keeper, Nice detail eveen if it is a bit over burned, but I'll shut up since it was me who mentioned the torch.
Nice Tiki!

S

hewey my man! really nice tiki you have there.
I wouldn't let it go.

awesome work kroozzn66 keep up the good work

K

lol yeah a tad over burned my wife said it was but i wanted that look originally but but now i too think its a little over burned but it was fun so i kept burning oops but all good experience for the next one this time ill do it quicker i promise, thanks to all comments..
Brendo

S

Nice work Brendon I thought you where hewey.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 1:43 AM

I took Brendon's tiki for a drive 'to the country' today :lol: :lol:

He was well behaved on the trip down to Goolburn, but a little quiet. I think he was shy?

Here he is with my tiki bike, chucked into the art gallery to be set up tomorrow

K

looking good ,thanks for taken him down hewey , cant wait to see them setup , how was the drive ?

Be careful tiki doesn't pedal off with the tiki-bike! Cool design, very primal, I like it.

S

Nice Pic's Yes you had better buckle him up
if you got into a car accident he becomes a missile.

after over a year of moving house a new little girl dad going into nursing home after a almost fatal stroke Im back and slightly settled into a grove and looking for some tiki action , Ive lumbered along with me a 4 footer cocoas palm log all this time and yesterday it was my birthday 36 big ones and i got an electric chain saw "happy as a fly in a long island ice tea" heres my design

[ Edited by: kroozzn62 2009-11-26 16:45 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 26, 2009 5:41 PM

Great design mate! Just be careful with those logs, I had a look at mine and one of them has started to rot from the inside :(

Thanks mate, ill saw the top off and have look I hope not after all this time ....

I just love the look of those teeth...

And tiki on the passenger seat is an awesome image.

Aloha!

Marcus

thanks i didnt get many photos prior to selling him ,hes living up the north east coast of australia i believe in a very tropical garden

A
amate posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 3:46 PM

I love it. Great expression on this guy. Nicely done!!

yeah after looking at him i think ive been inspired by "where the wild things are" and i haven,t seen it yet, but the crown looks like the kids in the book abit hmmm well see, i tired the chain saw yesterday it works well man they are fun i had to trim down a tree as well as you do,lol very addictive anyways i skimmed the top of my palm log and doesnt appear to be rotted so ill be carving up soon, stay tuned

C

Great design, can't wait to see it on a pole!

Pages: 1 2 55 replies