Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

looking for recently closed tiki bar in ohio

Pages: 1 12 replies

i just bought some vintage tiki table lamps from a dealer that claims they were from a high end restaurant or bar in or near springfield, ohio....i think they may have closed recently. couldn't find anything online as i don't know the name. the place could also be a chinese restasurant that just went under....anyone in ohio know of this place or can you find any info?? i'd like to know where they came from....thanks!

(they are not from the kahiki)

Can you post a picture?

I haven't heard of any Tiki establishments in Springfield. I was there last summer and the town doesn't have much of anything. I'll ask around though.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

check out any related establishments as well...when i googled "tiki bar springfield ohio" a bunch of stuff came up regarding tiki bars in the area (including Pa. and the rest of ohio)but most seemed like new ones that were recently built or have added a tiki patio/deck....check it out, you may find some new things that slipped under the radar...

there is a little village of springfield ohio just out side of akron and a city of springfield near dayton.

T

I know nothing.
Post pic.

There is a Springfield here, West of Toledo.

I'll snoop around - we seem to have more than our share of restaurants and bars...

That would be something. That is one of my favorite threads of all times, because of the stellar research done by bdzmusicprod. I asked if he could get me any off those ads in better, re-printable quality, but he said no. I had not seen all the additions he made late 2007. This has remained his only post.

That mob/entertainer/Tiki history is just too cool.
"For your listening, dining and dancing pleasure, Shirley Mann in the KU KU KORNER" ...wonder what the Ku Ku Korner looked like. Sigh! There MUST have been photographers photographing some of those acts! Or maybe not, because the mobsters didn't like to be photographed.

this seller claimed the lamps came from a place called "aloha".......any idea where this was or when it closed??

incidentally, she has three more of these lamps for sale on ebay, but this time without a buy it now option....

okay i just did a search here on tiki central and i think i figured it out....these are from the aloha restuarant in springfield missouri!!!...after reading the original post they mention a number of old orchids of hawaii table lamps that were probably brought in from an older restaurant...i'll bet these lamps are the same ones.....when the aloha closed after it's short life, this seller must have picked up all of them at an auction or such..

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-03-01 14:34 ]

On 2008-03-01 14:29, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

okay i just did a search here on tiki central and i think i figured it out....these are from the aloha restuarant in springfield missouri!!!...

Wow- Sounds like a Simpsons search to me.. :wink:

Glad you found it.

Is this your lamp?:

It is one of the few lamps (seen here in situ) I didn't buy from Aloha when it folded; it sold early in the sale when prices were still high. I photographed the place extensively before it was disassembled and posted some of the lamps I bought here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9865&forum=5&vpost=100930&hilite=aloha%20springfield. Unfortunately, the pics were on shutterfly; if I get time, I'll restore them.

You can see some of the other Aloha OoH lamps at the bottom of the first page of that thread.

These were all ceiling lamps, though, except for a couple of wall-mounted fake scallops (which I didn't buy), and you mention table lamps. I don't remember any table lamps being there, but some of the ceiling lamps, like the one at top, do have bamboo rods that protrude on the bottom, so I suppose if someone found it with the chain removed, they might think it a table lamp.

no - it's not them....these are definately table lamps...the same seller has three of them on sale at ebay as i type this..just look for the eames tiki table lamp auction and you will see them....

looks like i was wrong in my first assessment of this mystery...so i pose the question again....

where and when was the "aloha" of springfield ohio (or anywhere nearby that area)?????

T

The seller is from "New Springfield" which is near Youngstown.

Picture ( borrowed :) ) from ebay

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2008-03-03 13:47 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies