Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: How did these O.A. poles end up...

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

...in an abandoned warehouse in Edwards, MO ?

Link

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten link - 2008-02-08 20:59 ]

I thought I remembered having a postcard for a place out in the boonies of Missouri and found this one. It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri (only 50 miles from Edwards). Maybe?

what a find! Postcards great. Looks like it was a neat place. I expect this will get a new home very quickly.

Funny how the seller hasn't a clue what they've got... Indian totems wouldn't be my first guess even if I wasn't into Tiki. A steal right now for $99... but I would rather have the pair and it looks like they're not selling as a pair.

Edwards, MO is out in the middle of nowhere.

I did an OA inspired pole for a "tropical themed" bar outside of St. Louis, MO... never saw what became of it or heard from the customer in the last 3 years...

If I wasn't so busy with carving everything else I could actually finish my own OA inspired post... and it wouldn't cost me a thing but my time and a little muscle. :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-01-26 01:20 ]

On 2008-01-25 23:49, ZuluMagoo wrote:
It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri.

Whoa, Mike, what a find! Not a prime example of the style, but unique in its earnest attempt. What an unusual headhunter statue! And what's up with that chandelier. So far I could not make out a shred of O.A. swag in the interior, but who knows. Any guess on the date of the card?

Glad to see you're busy, Lake, nice pole you got there.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-26 07:09 ]

On 2008-01-26 07:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri.

Whoa, Mike, what a find! Not a prime example of the style, but unique in its earnest attempt. What an unusual headhunter statue!

Apologies Bigbro from straying off topic about the OA poles... but I'm curious about that headhunter statue too.
I remember seeing somewhere YOU have a headhunter in your collection? (next to the fabulous Witco bar! :wink: ) What is the origin of these carvings? They appear to come in various sizes and similar design?

I'm moving this Q & A of the HEADHUNTER topic to Collecting Tiki http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16908&forum=5&hilite=headhunter

** Nice postcard Zulu and friggin' righteous pole Lake! :D **

:tiki: Now back to BigBro's MO' POLES! :tiki:

Okay,

I'll pony up to give it a good home. The Tiki place in Sedalia must have been something.

Matt

8T

Zulu, can you show us the back side of the postcards so we can get an address or other info. Maybe Silverline & I can roadtrip the hour or so to see if that place is still around.

I'm ALWAYS up for a Tiki Roadtrip! (shameless book plug)

In one form or another, it looks like this place still exists! A Google search reveals several groups recently booking the "Tiki House" for their receptions and events. Oh yeah, I see a road trip and SOON!

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-01-28 14:27 ]

Cool, let us know what you find when you get there.

The back of the card does not list a street address, only Sedalia, Missouri.

I found it. I did some searching of aerial photos of Sedlia using MSN (www.maps.live.com). Here is the 2007 aerial photo.

It is loacted about 5 miles west of town, west of the interestion of W.16th (County Road Y) and S. Limit Avenue town at the northeast corner of the intersection of Camp Branch Road/Dresden Road and County Road Y. Good Hunting.

Zulu

8T

Thanks Zulu, Silverline has been searching and has found about the same info. Your photo is a good one and we will be able to find that place easily. I am just a little less than an hour from there. We may go this weekend and check it out but right now we are having some ugly winter weather. Will check back in when we know more.

Haaaaaaa! You kids are too cool! Man, I wish I would be in that plane right now, with a parachute !

Wonder what it is now..."The Duck Hunter's Lodge", or something like that...

Check if they have an attic.

Somebody is on evilBay bidding on both tikipoles. Didn't their folks teach'em to share and play nice?

Here is the item that Bigbro pointed out in the eBay auction. I copied the pic here so in a year when someone reads this thread and the eBay link is dead, they will know what we were discussing.

On 2008-01-29 17:14, rugbymatt wrote:
Somebody is on evilBay bidding on both tikipoles. Didn't their folks teach'em to share and play nice?

Matt, if you getttem or not, there will be more of those. The exciting thing is that this thread brought forth new archaeological discoveries, and a Tiki Central team will soon be dispatched on an expedition to yield further findings!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-29 19:06 ]

T

You won't get em anyway.
Those are going to an Ebayer that rhymes with
Commala Kharmes!

The seller has added to the description that the poles were purchased in Kansas City.

I just exchanged e-mails with the seller explaining that these were not "Native American art" or Totem poles as one bidder obviously thinks based upon their buying profile. I think the lister is quite innocent in his claims so I will give a day to revise his listing or re-list under a new topic.

To whoever buys those poles... Please do not turn this:

into this:

Thank you.

Aaaaaaaak!

On 2008-01-30 10:10, GatorRob wrote:
To whoever buys those poles... Please do not turn this:

into this:

Thank you.

WHY NOT??? If you did, you could send them to JanetMermaid's ranch! :)

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and look at the colors, the colors)!

Bigbro - The exciting thing is that this thread brought forth new archaeological discoveries, and a Tiki Central team will soon be dispatched on an expedition to yield further findings!

LOL!! Tiki Hunting Team Alpha has been dispatched. Bravo team standing by.

Funny but true. There are enough of us spread around the country, it can be a great resource.

Tiki Hunter Team Zulu

Starting to sound like Bukaroo Banzai now.

Hey, KC dudes, as long as you're over in Sedalia, could you see what became of the Wheel Inn building?

Nice photography, TJ ! Makes me feel like I've been there. What a shame, tearing down local history for pavement.

in the immortal words of ....bukaroo banzai....

....no matter where you go........there you are...................

On 2008-01-30 20:57, tikijackalope wrote:
Hey, KC dudes, as long as you're over in Sedalia, could you see what became of the Wheel Inn building?

We're on it! Tiki Central Team KCMO, out.

Auctions were terminated.

T

On 2008-01-31 08:06, BrickHorn wrote:

Yeah, they were teminated cuz the seller figured out what he really had. Expect a re-list at a higher opening bid, or they may have been snapped up by an email sniper.

T

On 2008-01-31 14:30, tikigreg wrote:

On 2008-01-31 08:06, BrickHorn wrote:

Yeah, they were teminated cuz the seller figured out what he really had. Expect a re-list at a higher opening bid, or they may have been snapped up by an email sniper.

yeah, thanks to tiki central!

Well, they're back (at least one of them at this point). Starting at $.99. It's kinda funny reading the description this time. You can almost hear the "Cha-CHING" in his heart as you read along.

eBay auction

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-01-31 19:21 ]

Yeah, I did it!

I told him those were likely OA items from a 60's tiki bar and not native american art. The reason was one bidder (who is strangley back again) seemed to be from the big bucks world of NA art and I was trying to shake him off. The seller actually went the extra mile and called OA to verify. He had a long talk with Bob who confirmed details and said they were poles OA made for the Kona Kai in Kansas City (KC is where the seller originally found them).

I guess I can file it under best laid plans.....

Oh well, now I have to fight the good fight if I want one.

At least the seller didn't write "tiki" in the title of the auction so everyone keep it under your hat.

M

*naugatiki wrote:
At least the seller didn't write "tiki" in the title of the auction so everyone keep it under your hat.

I don't know naugatiki, there may be some cunning squaw on Totem Central just ready to blow the lid off that plan.

How,
midnite

...right...self-censored for stupidity level being too high.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-01 15:44 ]

T

nevermind

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-02-01 12:48 ]

On 2008-01-30 20:57, tikijackalope wrote:

We have returned, full report pending. But to answer your question, the Wheel Inn still stands (for now). It's obvious what's about to happen, but the interior is largely intact. Weird.

8T

On 2008-01-29 19:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
The exciting thing is that this thread brought forth new archaeological discoveries, and a Tiki Central team will soon be dispatched on an expedition to yield further findings!

HEY KIDS...WE'RE BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have been following this thread you know it has sort of split into about 4 different subjects. I am adding today what has been learned about 3 of those topics and then will bow out of this thread and start another. Let me explain for you. When this all began it was a discussion about the 2 poles being auctioned on eBay. Much has been learned about them and is contained in the pages above.

What I would like to clarify is the following:

A). The Wheel Inn Drive In.
Tikijackalope asked for an update. The Wheel Inn has been visited and photoed by Silverline in it's current state. (photos above) What he didn't mention is that the business has relocated further South in Sedalia on Hwy 65. On a future visit we will find the new place and get photos. The Wheel Inn is famous for a peanut butter burger named "the guber burger"
Here is 'ol 8FT Tiki standing by the window where the Guber Burger icon still looks out on passing traffic. Seemingly unaware of the plans that the Highway dept. has for his future.

B). The Tiki House postcard.

I thought I remembered having a postcard for a place out in the boonies of Missouri and found this one. It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri

This was totally unexpected. It had not been mentioned on TC before. That postcard posted by ZuluMagoo has nothing to do with the tiki poles that started this thread (it was just a geographical coincidence) but without his contribution we would not have had anything to search for. Thanks Zulu! Silverline and I picked up the obvious challenge to learn more and off we went. Thanks to some sleuthing by Mrs.Silverline we knew where to go. Saturday 02/02/2008 the 3 of us headed out for a fact finding mission. There is so much new to share with you all about this. Therefore, I am going to start a new thread dedicated to the Tiki House in Sedalia, MO. The information is coming together well and soon will be a seperate topic in Locating Tiki Forum.

C). The headhunter portion of the postcard.
Just to clarify here. What you are seeing in the postcard images is one carving. It is featured as a close up in one image and further back in-situ in the other image. Much more about this particular headhunter carving will be in the new thread topic also.

I hope that helps clear up and clense the original thread of the spin off topics and now lets finish this particular thread as we watch what happens with the auctions for the OA poles. Good luck if you're in the bidding! When you get a chance, look for the new thread about the Tiki House.

Aloha for now, 8FT Tiki

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2008-02-03 12:30 ]

Boyoboyo-BOY!....I can't wait I can't wait ! :D

Auction ended early yet again. Pardon my French, but the idiot selling these is a fucking retard!

Wait, that is an insult to retarded people! I'll spend my money at the Trader Vic's warehouse sale at the end of the month.

Fuck this joec9121, all of the sudden all of this stuff shows up out of nowhere and said dumbfuck can't let an auction finish?

WTF!!

T

Dear joec9121 I will be out of town and won't be able to bid on your auction.
I was wondering if you would end the auction early with a buy it now for
$450.00 for both poles.
Thank you, Frank

Could have gone somthing like that.
Haven't you ever got one of those?

M

French retards? French RETARDS!?!

That has my jaunty beret in a twist, mon ami. Some of my best friends are French retards. Except Vincent, my tennis team doubles partner from college, he was Belgian.

Me, I blame this group:

Give my people back their poles!

Chief "He Who Wears Leisure Suit" midnite

On 2008-02-04 17:14, tikiskip wrote:
Dear joec9121 I will be out of town and won't be able to bid on your auction.
I was wondering if you would end the auction early with a buy it now for
$450.00 for both poles.
Thank you, Frank

Could have gone somthing like that.
Haven't you ever got one of those?

tikiskip,

I completely resent the implication. I received a notice of the auctions ending along with all other bidders. I did send a message to the seller, however, it was urging him to reconsider re-listing both pieces. For future reference, I suggest you redirect any feelings of animosity.

They're back:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjoec9121

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-02-04 21:48 ]

A letter campaign has convinced the seller to re-list both poles: item #280198361723, 280198357708.

Kohalacharms!

Welcome back.

Pages: 1 2 71 replies