Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki in Paducah?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I'm in Paducah, Ky, today, shooting photos of signs and architecture along the various blue highways. I very much doubt any tiki has emerged here, but would anyone know of any surprises along that line? I've already found some halfway decent googie. Thanks!

8T

You have probably moved on down the road by now Greg but I
just saw your post. While on the way home from Coontiki '06
Silverline and I both happened to pass through Paducah on the same morning. We hit the junk shops and didn't find any tiki at all. As for around town, we saw the Unga Bunga bar (new and old locations) but nothing else. Oh and there is one of the huge native American wood carvings in the park. I think it may be from the artist who carved one for every state. Don't know for sure. You couldn't have missed that! Keep us posted on what you find.

TZ

If you find any tiki lurking in Ky. let me know - they've eluded me so far . . .

S

There was a Blue Hawaii in Louisville. There is still a thrift store there in the old location with some decor intact...

Alas, this store, glimpsed from hwy 60 in west Paducah, turned out to be just a pool and spa place. I found no tiki at all.

Here's the carving 8ft mentioned.

But it's an interesting city. One can find two examples of non-geodesic commercial dome architecture (now a barber shop and a motel room), a run-down stucco teepee that used to be a liquor store, two old theatres, blocks of well-preserved Art Deco, Italianate and Classical Revival downtown architecture, murals that commemorate the "Atomic City" era, bits of newer buildings with googie influence, a pizza place in a well-preserved boomerang-roofline Big Boy, a decades-old family bar-b-que place, an Art Deco Coca-Cola plant and an eccentric costume shop with a Buster Brown neon sign and a small collection of antique wax mannequins.

Pages: 1 4 replies