Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tretchikoff

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

This is not really Tiki, but some of you like Tretchikoff, so I thought I'd mention that I have two prints on ebay, in case anyone is interested. I need to start saving money to go to the Mondo Tiki in Vegas!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20149&item=3501788476

Tretchikoff can be considered Tiki bar accessory, the Kon-Tiki in Tuscon has one or two, for example. Good Luck, and lots o' buck!

T

I have always been the first to say (and now the 2nd today) that I consider Tretchikoff COMPLETELY tiki. Mysterious and exotic? Check. Semi-Innocent Exploitation and Appropriation of Pacific culture? Check. Very Popular in the 50's but uncool ever since? Check. Looks good next to the tiki mugs and flaming drinks? Double check!

My Tretchikoffs have hit their reserve and now I feel sad about letting them go. I guess this Ebay thing can be really hard, as we all like to think our stuff is the greatest, and worth more than anyone elses. No tiki mugs that are not duplicate finds will ever be showing up on ebay by me. But next week I will be listing some nude Tahiti cards. I will post it when I do. These cards are all different and show nice scenes of Tahiti's beaches and traditional dress styles. Most are topless. They put a man on the Jack. Should have been an ass!

[ Edited by: fartsatune on 2003-02-21 13:54 ]

I have the Chinese Girl#1 print but much larger than in that auction.

Funny story I'll share with everyone. I was in an antique store in Atlanta when I saw her. At the same time, in my pripheral vision, I noticed another gal eyeing it. We both looked at each other and we were thinking the same thing - I HAVE TO HAVE THAT! She had a direct path to it, and myself, there was a couch in my way. What to do? I just climbed over the sofa and took the painting off the wall as she came up behind me screaming.

Too bad! If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get it.

It's now on the wall in Shangri-La, one of my most prized posessions.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:05 ]

you can still get most Tretchikoff prints today- including the Chinese Girl. Search thru google and you will most likely come upon sources for the prints.

I have a little baby vintage framed one that I really like as well as a large 24x30 framed version. I also have a couple similar ones such as Balinese Girl, Miss Wong, etc. They are a must-have if you ask me..

The big question is who owns the REAL Chinese Girl?

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-02-22 22:45 ]

AHA! I located her!

"Chinese Girl ...in collection of Miss M.Buehler,Chicago,USA "

http://www.hunche.com/tretchikoff.htm

http://www.tretchikoff.co.uk/

http://www.postershop.com/Tretchikoff-Vladimir-p.html

It will be an interesting auction if Miss Buehler ever parts with her. Hope I see that day!

Me too, especially if we get to see Tiki Kiliki whack another bidder on the head who tries to outdo her! I'd pay to see THAT! Do I hear Five dolla five dolla five dolla?

Ah, finally picked up the 'Chinese Girl' in town for £7.50 (about $10) in it's original frame. Funny how you can look for something supposedly 'common' for years without seeing one. It was in the window of a charity shop and I almost got run over when I ran across the road towards it without looking at the traffic situation.

I've not cleaned up the glass yet, but here it is:

Trader Woody

A
Artiki posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2004 1:33 PM

We've got five in all, but the Balinese Girl is the only one we have in our tiki bar. Three of our others are in the lounge and one near our staircase.
I'm sure they have a Chinese Girl in Taboo Cove.
They are constantly available on UK eBay and don't really fetch that much money, though they are getting far more than they were five years ago (pre eBay days!).

Trader -- please put me in your will vis-a-vis that amazing picture. And then please waste no time in running across the street to your next find!

Satan's Sin excitedly awaits Trader Woody's change of will.

Trader Woody

H

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Take it back! Take it back! My eyes! My poor, burdened eyes!

And in the lovely Tretchikoff thread, too!

T

Humu PLEASE I beg of you! Use your moderator powers and banish that photo. :wink:

On 2004-08-10 01:13, Trader Woody wrote:
Satan's Sin excitedly awaits Trader Woody's change of will.

Dammit! I forgot to add "Zardoz" to that "top 5 movies" thread!!

Satan's Sin has been out of town on business in a strange place called "Chicago" ... where clients are so cruel as to forbid investigation of local tiki bars, and hotels so primitive as to offer only dial-up as opposed to high-speed Internet access ....

Imagine Satan's Sin's surprise upon returning home to find the unfortunate Zardoz "indiscretion" revealed. It is vitally, vitally important that this picture never be shown to Mrs. Satan's Sin. Satan's Sin does not have much cash at the moment, but can offer the blackmailer ... a night of bliss ...

Satan's Sin closes in the sure knowledge that this posting will have the magic power to kill this thread.

Scored this nice little haul over the weekend!

you lucky bastard! I was just daydreaming about finding a hoard like that, did you find the pictures one by one or was it single find?

Great find! What was the damage? Did you get them at a car boot sale?

Trader Woody

OK, I've been wondering this since I saw my first Tretchikoff: WHY are the women blue or green? Was this Tretchikoff's innovation or was he continuing some sort of tradition?

tikijackalope -- thanks for having the guts to ask! Anybody?

I think its just his style, but another question was posed by an eBay listing "Tretchikoff gay intrest green ladyboy" which claimed that his models were all ladyboys. Which i personally think is a load of bollocks.

atomictonytiki wrote:

I think its just his style, but another question was posed by an eBay listing "Tretchikoff gay intrest green ladyboy" which claimed that his models were all ladyboys. Which i personally think is a load of bollocks.

Yeah, they look like women to me; the one second from the right in Cheekytiki's photo has a certain Lauren Bacall quality, but the Chinese woman (the really blue one on the far right) gives me the creeps. The one on the far left has me wondering if Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was influenced by Tretchikoff when he made the charactor of the green Orion slave woman for the pilot in the mid-1960's:

"She's like an animal...They say no human male can resist her" That sounds exotic to me, and the charactor to whom the woman was supposed to appeal was a serviceman dreaming of escapism.

I think this is my favorite Tretchikoff painting:

Unfortunately, though I've seen this Green Woman displayed in several tiki bars, I still don't know the name of the piece or the woman depicted. Obviously a Tretchikoff though. Anyone else seen this one?

Sabu

I made a substantial bid for this print (on black velvet) in a pristine auction house in Pasedena,CA., but I was outbid by some guy by the name of "Koalacharms".
{Original photo compliments of Kooche).

And please don't forget the less-famous "Tretchi-Cat"

This was apainting I did for the Mrs. a while back

Is this the biggest out there?

At Trailer Happiness, London.

Trader Woody

I don't think I could eat or drink with the amazing 40 ft Tretchikoff woman threatening to break through that window.

So it must have been trailer happiness that they filmed the opening luau in that "Whose baby?" show, with Andrew Lincon, that was on ITV a few weeks ago.

Just came back from amarket here in Sydney, Australia where the was a Tretchikoff for sale. I enquired after it as I knew they sell for a fair bit here. But this time I was truly shocked.
They are selling in Vintage stores for $500

[i]On 2004-11-13 17:08, cheekytiki wrote:They are selling in Vintage stores for $500
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Time to put my Tretchy (bought for $7) up on Aussie eBay!!

yeah its true
one of the down sides of living down here, not that there are to many downsides mind you.

Bump! Just spotted exquisite Balinese Girl (my favorite Tretch) with a big swanky vintage frame on e-bay. Out of my budget but somebody really should jump on this...

Tretchikoff print on eBay

[ Edited by: Humuhumu - fixed overly long link - 2007-02-14 12:30 ]

Hodad, I have a smaller signed version of that print.
I'd be willing to trade it for some tiki goodies.

It's one of a pair, of the same model. They're both signed by the artist himself. I'm looking to find these a good home.

By the way, you can still purchase 'Chinese Girl' new for only $52.36 US.
here

S

Ha! I have that Sound Gallery CD, I was always struck with this example of extreme dedication to kitsch: To go as far as to make yourself up like a Tretchikoff in drag!

James Lileks is a genius, I have never read anything funnier than his "Interior Desecrations". How about this musing from the above link:

"....Will 1997-era web design ever become "retro," complete with a jokey, misunderstood revival that flatters the observer with an idealized version of his childhood?".... :lol:

That's a great Lilek's post, thanks for the headsup, Swanky. (As an aside -- if you don't have the Sound Gallery album, get it -- it's the perfect soundtrack to play during your getaway from a jewelry heist in the French Riviera in a cigarette boat.)

Here's a Chinese Girl remix I did when Mr. Bali Hai & I were volleying back & forth with remixed Chinese propaganda posters on our blogs:

:up: Build a Powerful Navy Grog

That is great! Chinese propaganda art is so cool. OK then, here's one of my favorite postcard/inscription combinations, featuring a Tretchikoff (note the artistically off-set angle). At first glance, not really that impressive of a place...

...until the name and text on the back come striding along assuredly and save the day:

A classic! (Also note the photographer's name)

Wonder how many Navy Grogs it took to see those artifacts marching!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-14 13:56 ]

Am I Blue? You would be too...

20"x26"

Not if I found HER!

A Tretchikoff thread with only ONE Tretchikoff painting left visible!? That's just not right!

I quickly had to snap a pic of my "Lady of the Orient", which I rescued from the Hamburg Lost & Found, and carried home on the plane:

BK

I know the picture sucks, but it's the best I can do right now! :(

OK. so as we reconstruct this thread, I'm seein' three painting by this guy. How many are there really?

Ok, so lots of information here: http://www.vladimirtretchikoff.com/

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2011-05-06 16:28 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, May 6, 2011 5:33 PM

In situ:

Missed out on this at a garage sale ($2!), but scored it for $15 from the guy who did get it (literally out of the back of his van). Good condition vintage Tretchikoffs go for about $200 in NZ and we'd been after this one for ages.

Good work, TCers, looks like we lined up the four main Exotica girls by Tretchikoff on this and the previous page.

Now I just have to re-post this modern, giant version of the "Lady of the Orient":

Pages: 1 2 69 replies