Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Disney's Polynesian Resort

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Has anyone been to Disney World and stayed at Disney's Polynesian Resort? How would you rate it and was it a family only resort?

G

I live nearby. Haven't stayed there, although we toyed with it once, but the prices were ridiculous. As far as "family only" is concerned, I don't think so. But I think you might have to plan your time wisely if you want to avoid the onslaught of families with kids. I haven't experienced this myself, but I understand that the afternoons are relatively quiet there, but around dinner time onward, lots of families. I know I've seen plently of threads about this place in years past, so if you haven't already, do a search and you'll find a lot of good info.

One of these days, I do intend to get down there for dinner at Ohana. Been in Orlando since '94. You'd think I'd have done it by now. :)

T

Thanks for the reply. We live a few minutes away from Disneyland in Anaheim so I would assume going during the work week is ideal. What I don't want to do is fly to Orlando to find out that the Polynesian Resort is not worth the travel.

Disney World is not like Disneyland. The weekdays are not really lighter than the weekends. At least I don't think so. Seems to me to be pretty constant no matter what day of the week it is. What's more important is the time of year. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is ideal (weather and crowd-wise). January after school starts back up is good too. Sometimes it's just a crap shoot though because when you think it will be really crowded, it isn't. And vice versa. Just don't go in summer unless you like stifling heat, humidity and sweaty tourists.

I've been to DL and if you like Adventureland there, you will most likely like the Polynesian. OA provided much of the carved decor originally. How much is left from the original install, I couldn't tell you because I don't really follow it.

The Polynesian is excellent. Considered one of their "premier" resorts! The whole place has a great vibe and its location is awesome - if you are going to the Parks. Volcano slide at the pool, Ohana, and the luau are great. If you have the $$ its worth the cost. The best time to go IS during the weekdays while school is in session!! Its Disney World so crowds are part of the experience. Check out Animal Kingdom Lodge too - not tiki but VERY cool (get a room on the Safari, on the 2nd/3rd floor). The best part about staying on Disney property is that you park your car and you won't see it till you leave! My wife is a theme park junkie, so we are up there often. Universal is a great place too. Wear comfy shoes!!!!

:D

K

The Polynesian is nice and all, but DAMN it's pricey. When we go this March we're staying at Port Orleans. Obviously not tiki, but very nice for the price. With two young kids in tow, it helps to have that giant food court area. You can get a Disney bus to just about anywhere...sometimes you need to take two to get where you want to go. The bus came in handy on more than one occasion after a slightly intoxicating evening at the Polynesian.

All that said, you don't necessarily need to sleep at the Polynesian to enjoy it.

T

On 2008-01-30 14:29, bigbrotiki wrote:

:D

Wow, not quite sure how to take this? Funny though!

T

The good news is that we have two free round trip airline tickets to go anywhere in the continental USA. So that will cut the cost a bit. Living a few miles from Disneyland we know the mouse can be very expensive.

Pages: 1 9 replies