Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Variation on the Reverb Crash

Pages: 1 2 replies

B

I have become a big fan of the award-winning Reverb Crash.* It's a fairly simple drink to make, and it has great flavor, aroma and color. Just an all-around great drink. However, there is one problem: it's a tad bit on the sweet side for some people (including my wife).

So, I tinkered with a slightly altered recipe last night, and it worked out very well. Basically, what I did was to mix up the juices and syrups, according to the recipe, in a measuring cup. I then added 3/4 of the juice-syrup mixture with the prescribed 2 oz. of rum (I use 1 oz. Appleton's V/X and 1 oz. Myer's). The end result was a drink that is not quite as sweet as the Crash, but still very well balanced. If you want to avoid tossing out 1/4 of the juice-syrup mixture, the approximate measurements should be:

3 oz. grapefruit juice
0.6 oz. lime juice
1.2 oz. passion fruit syrup
0.5 spoon orgeat (I usually use a little more)
1 oz. light rum
1 oz. Myer's rum

While sipping on my derivative work, it occurred to me that a tiny bit of Pernod or bitters would accent the grapefruit flavor quite well, but I haven't tested this theory yet.

*In case you don't know, the Reverb Crash won the Tiki Central drink contest. I recommend printing the recipe and giving it a try as soon as is reasonably possible. Many thanks to Kick-the-Reverb for his tasty contribution to mixology.

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2008-02-07 07:54 ]

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2008-02-07 07:55 ]

For those who may have missed it, here is a post with the original recipe.

And the winners of the drink contest can be found here.

My wife is a big fan of the reverb crash but I find it a tad sweet when I switch from Mai Tais. I've been using 1 ounce of Coruba, 1 ounce of Cruzan light and 1/2 ounce of Mt Gay gold rum. I used to do the 1/2 ounce as a float but I got more complaints about that so I've started to just mix it in.

I'll have to come up with some new terminology to use when people request this as we were using "Reverb Crash with a float","Reverb Crash with a mixed in float" just doesn't have the same ring to it, and it doesn't make sense.

Pages: 1 2 replies