Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The London Luau 2008, 6,7,8th June

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

The London Luau swings into Town once again on the 6,7,8th June.
Confirmed acts this year include Waitiki & I Bella de Waikikii, with the usual Saturday night at Trader Vics in Full Luau style.
plus much much more that will be up on the website in a short while.
We look forward to seeing some old faces again and meeting some new.
We would also like to say ahuge thanks to this years Luau Artist, Charlie Adam from France. If you haven't already seen his work check it out at http://www.bungalowgraphics.com/

M

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Hmmm, let's see, Frisco to London: 5,370 miles

That's not too far.

London calling, who's with me? Vayamos los Americanos!
el midnite

...meanwhile things are hotting up in the west end alright

Thanks again for throwing me a weekend-long party for my birthday on 6 June, guys!

Looking forward to it!

Fab News.

Shaping up to be a good one, looking forward to seeing the new acts. Better get my crayons out for some new pieces for the artshow. Hey Trader Jim, that's a deadline for pocketiki magazine!

It will be good to catch up with you, Midnite. Need to return the hospitality you showed me at forbidden island.

Nice job on the event art Charlie.

S

On 2008-02-08 10:04, midnite_tiki wrote:
I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Hmmm, let's see, Frisco to London: 5,370 miles

That's not too far.

London calling, who's with me? Vayamos los Americanos!
el midnite

Midnite - I've been thinking about trying to make this one work for a few months now.... I don't know how many weekenders I can swing this summer but I'd love to! Let's talk!

Suzanne

V

Waitiki is really coming ??
And Midnite again ? And I belly ? And all my favorite british friends ? And my artist pal from France ?

I can't miss that ! But in the same time, I have a wedding I can't miss !! HELP. I need a plan.

Ok, my best solution is to broke the couple apart. I'll go to him and say I had sex with his bride.

Hey virani

If you need some proof, I'm sure Trader Jim can makeup some convincing photos!!

Hope you can make it.

[ Edited by: tikiracer 2008-02-10 11:07 ]

Midnite - I've been thinking about trying to make this one work for a few months now.... I don't know how many weekenders I can swing this summer but I'd love to! Let's talk!

Suzanne

Please come!! We'd love to see you here and make you very welcome.

Will you be at VLV in April, Suzanne? Chris and I are coming over. PM us.

Liz

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-02-10 09:30 ]

M
  • virani wrote:

And Midnite again?*

Actually, I never left London. I'm still looking for Trailer Happiness.

*I can't miss that ! But in the same time, I have a wedding I can't miss !! HELP. I need a plan. *

No Virani? No Jimmy Virani!?! Oy! that is not bon. The "Tiki International" table cool factor just dropped by a considerable amount. At a minimum you have to attend part of the Luau, one day. Something.

Suzanne, do consider making it over. The London Luau is the best. The best. It's in London! Plus, these UK folk are top drawer.

Got my room booked, my airline ticket purchased...draw blood!

Loud American,
midnite

S

Draw blood! :)

Midnite, I'm certainly working on it. I'll letcha know. The Luau and Huk back to back would be a dynamite two weeks of tiki bliss. I think I'll have to order a spare liver for the occasion.

Liz and Chris, I will be at VLV (at least, as long as all goes according to plan)! I'll see you then!

Suzanne

[ Edited by: kon-hemsby 2008-03-09 00:10 ]

So when are the London Luau tickets up for grabs? I missed it last year and that ain't gonna happen this time around.

I'll not be there this year, I'm off round the world on march the 1st and hope to be in Kiribati in time for the London Luau.

H
harro posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 5:28 AM

YESSSS - the luau is on the exact weekend I'll be arriving in London...

NOOOOOOO... I have to head to Cardiff for a stag weekend on the 7th... ahh the cruelty of it all - DAMMIT!!!

I'll be keeping a keen eye on the Friday and Sunday activities anyway, will certainly be keen to check out the artwork and meet some peeps at least...

Aloha Jamie, aloha everyone !
I am glad to see my new London Luau 2008 picture is now on ! I hope people will like it and that it's going to be a nice one this year !
I've only just registered ( at last ) to Tiki Central. So I am very happy to join the tribe, but I'm not quite sure how to use it yet !

Salut Virani, hi Tiki Racer ! Good to read about you guys here ! I hope you are well.
Still not much to say about the Tiki scene on this side of France !

Virani ? Any news from the Paris jungle ?

Apart from that, I have recently discovered "Don Tiki" music on I-tunes + their website, just wicked ! Highly recommended !

Mahalo, à bientôt.

Charlie Adam.

I've never been to this. So i would hope to at least make it to some of this, this year.. Am i right in thinking that different events are at different venues on all these nights?

Yes... different venues nightly.

Did you look for the review of last year's Luau? It was fantastic!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24432&forum=4&hilite=luau%20london%202007

Hope you decide to come.

H
harro posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 6:05 PM

looking forward to the release of the details......

Any updates Cheeky?

will there be an art show this year?

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 5:54 AM

must be some kind of announcement soon...??

EB

Come on guys, whats going on? No answers to e-mails, no time-table nor venues. Only three weeks left...

V

I guess the Cheekytikis are going to say it here, but they just announced by Email that the event is postponed until early september, due to events out of their control.

I personnaly hope it will be the first week end of september, as I can't come the second.

Cheers.

Aigggh!

My 2 month long trip of western Europe's tiki won't be the same if this is true. I'm still coming to London either way, but man what a bummer. I still have a fine batch of tiki bars in the city to check out though. (MUST. THINK. POSITIVE. THOUGHTS.)

• SV
EB

Now the flight I booked three weeks ago to London is good for nothing. Thank god I'm a billionair and money doesn't mean anything to me...
I can't understand why these english folks don't answer mails or don't spread this news as soon as possible. As the london luau hp wasn't updated in the last three months I can't believe that they didn't knew that it will not happen at the prenounced time earlier. Not very professional

Hi SV

Let us know when you are coming over to England and we will try and get a few of us tiki guys together and meet up with you at one of the bars or maybe a few, as it would be a shame for you not to meet a few of us, and it would be good to meet you too!

C

Count me in! Let's have a "Not-The-London-Luau" get-together!

Sorry about the news everyone. The Luau has had to have been postponed this year for a variety of different reasons.
But we fully intend on happening in September.
For those who having already booked travel arrangements that can't be changed we are sorry, please PM us we have an idea.
For those who are still intend on coming no matter what, there is no reason why someone should not organise a small get together of the local contingency.
We hope we can see you all in september.

T

OUCH! Band-aids anybody?

Hurrah for september, more time for me to send artwork, now if they just pospond it to the 12 of october i'd be landing in britain on my return from around the world.

H
harro posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 8:11 AM

bummer. was hoping to get a good Britiki fix the weekend I arrive from Argentina, but not to worry.

I look forward to the Sept weekend!

M

Wow, that's not too cool. I'd hate to be someone who made plans for this months ago, especially if said person was flying in from very far away just for that weekend. That person would feel...well, not too cool right about now.

Fuck it, it's still the Luau weekend to me. If I'm coming from 5000 miles away (which I still am), it's the damn London Luau in my book! I got my London Tiki map, a few pounds, and a lot of free time. Vic's, Mahiki, Trailer Happiness, I'll be around.

Lemons into lemonade,
midnite

EB

On 2008-05-20 10:51, midnite_tiki wrote:
Wow, that's not too cool. I'd hate to be someone who made plans for this months ago, especially if said person was flying in from very far away just for that weekend. That person would feel...well, not too cool right about now.

Fuck it, it's still the Luau weekend to me. If I'm coming from 5000 miles away (which I still am), it's the damn London Luau in my book! I got my London Tiki map, a few pounds, and a lot of free time. Vic's, Mahiki, Trailer Happiness, I'll be around.

Lemons into lemonade,
midnite

Well, I am one of these people...

Midnite Tiki and El Buho, I´m in the process of rejiggering my whole itinerary for June based on this news. I was thinking to move London to around the 19th or so of June leaving around the 22nd, but if you guys are flying in for this anyway, perhaps we could create our own mini London Luau? I´m game. I´ll even buy an aloha shirt for the occasion if I find one in my travels. I´m backpacking it, so I´m limited in my garb, but the spirit is strong.

Any other folks in the area would, of course, also be welcome. Show us how tiki is done in the UK.

As Midnite said, ¨Fuck it, it's still the Luau weekend to me.¨ That´s the sprit!

PM me if this sounds like a good idea.

• SV

Hi all

There are plans in the making to welcome our TC visitors to London on Saturday 7 June... stay tuned!

H
harro posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 3:36 PM

bummer again!!.... even though I'm an international TC visitor arriving on the Fri 6th, I cant do the 7th as I'll be in Cardiff.

But luckily I will be in London for a year or so, so I look forward to catching up with the Britiki crew another time if not before the delayed Luau. otherwise it's highly likely I'll be having a welcoming maitai at one of london's tiki bars on the fri, sun or mon nights.

cheers.

On 2008-05-23 15:36, harro wrote:
bummer again!!.... even though I'm an international TC visitor arriving on the Fri 6th, I cant do the 7th as I'll be in Cardiff.

But luckily I will be in London for a year or so, so I look forward to catching up with the Britiki crew another time if not before the delayed Luau. otherwise it's highly likely I'll be having a welcoming maitai at one of london's tiki bars on the fri, sun or mon nights.

cheers.

:lol:

Err... It's my birthday on 6 June so we'll be out on Friday night down in London but it's a rockabilly night out with The Boss Hoss and afterward at the Hillbilly Hop... PM if you are interested...

WOW! I feel like Rip Van Winkle!! I've been so busy with stuff that I just haven't had time to log on to TC for what seems an age. Great shame that the Luau is postponed but I've been thinking that in the long run it is probably for the best. The past three LONDON LUAUs have been so good that putting the fourth together in a hurry with limited resources probably would have not been a winner. I know what you are thinking...A bad weekend at the LONDON LUAU is better than a good day in the office", but...The LONDON LUAU is special and I for one think it should remain SPECIAL! Now, I know that some people have made arrangements, bought tickets etc. and believe me when I say "that sucks!", but from what I have heard on the grapevine this was not down to lack of effort by the organisers but quite the opposite! Tiki culture (for want of a better phrase) is certainly on the up and it is people such as CHEEKYTIKI who are contributing enormously to this exciting time for us all here in the UK! I know the work they are doing at 'Shangri-la' has over-run due to numerous changes of heart from the client, eating into any spare time these guys might have had to deliver a June Luau.

It is all to easy to grt caught up in the fact that the LUAU has been postponed and forget the fact that because of CHEEKYTIKI's hard graft, and love of what they do, there have been three great LONDON LUAUs so far not to mention three fantastic new tiki establishments in the UK! Let's here it for MAHIKI, SUGAR CANE and their new, as yet unfinished creation! From what I've also heard on the grapevine...these won't be the last! Let's here it for the CHEEKYTIKIs..Hip, hip!...

As for anyone travelling to London for what was to be the LUAU in June, or any other time of year...GIVE US A SHOUT here on TC as the BRITIKIs would love to, and will, give you a good time...one way or another...that's a promise!

I think the 7th is looking likely for a 'tiki luau shindig'! Looking forward to hooking up with you again Captain!

All the Best from Good Ol' Blighty! - Trader Jim (make mine a Mai-Tai!).

We'll be in London on the 7th June for a few Mai Tai's. Who's meeting up?

EB

We'll be in London on friday, the 6th of june to check out some tiki-bars.

Hey guys! It looks like Liz has everything in hand here for a Saturday 'tiki freak-out! Check the link:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28490&forum=4&1

We'll do our damnedest to be there but at the present might be later on in the day? We'll keep you posted. Are you going to be around on the Saturday El Buho, it'd be good to hook up! Hopin' you are around too Captain?!! I'll catch up with you on the phone TR! Maybe we'll finally get to meet Kon-Hemsby? Anyone else...see you there!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

I'll be there from the Mahiki onwards. And my Hibiscus Honey.

Still can't wait for the actual Luau... I've loved the past two and, even with a delay, this is something to savour... Much better to wait until it can be put on with the usual amount of love and care than rush it all together. There's still a shed load of exciting tiki nuggets to uncover in London in the mean time... All the more exciting tales to share when the grand event finally arrives!

Let me point you to the Vans store on Carnaby Street for example... In a rare moment of taste they'll be producing a very limited art T-Shirt featuring several tiki designs AND a red hot luchadora! And, while you're rushing down there to pick one of those up you can pop out the back of that store and visit Black Pearl right behind it! And the thirst you've worked up by now should be quenched with a swift jaunt down to Mahiki... I could go on but I have to dash off and stroke a parcel from Muntiki that just arrived at my front door. Mmm...

http://www.cafepress.com/LosFuriasTiki
http://www.cafepress.com/LosFuriasTiki2
http://www.cafepress.com/LosFuriasTiki3
http://www.cafepress.com/LosFuriasTiki4

[ Edited by: Los Furias Tiki 2008-06-01 01:11 ]

EB

My wahine and me will join you at the Mahiki for a drinks. Sadly we made some other arrangments, so we can't join you for the whole day.

FM

Just booked my accommodations. I hope the Tube/train/ganging up in a taxi are acceptable ways to get around since I have no car and my roller skating skills are atrophied. I have a brand new fez (Tangiers)and Hawaiian shirt (though made in Bali) for just this occasion.

Looking forward to it.

• SV

Saturday seems to be shaping up nicely!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, soon.

Check the link:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28490&forum=4&1

:drink:

On 2008-06-02 06:00, serious voodoo wrote:
I hope the Tube/train/ganging up in a taxi are acceptable ways to get around

We will all be using shanks' pony... err, does that expression cross the Atlantic?!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

:drink:

FM

I'm going to visit some bar Friday night,probably Sugarcane since it's not on the list for Saturday. Anyone else in?

On a side note I got to London and my hostel is a craphole. Such a letdown after Paris.Probably my fault for booking so late and it's too late for a refund. Anyone got a sofa/shower I can glom onto? I could pay something and I'm low impact.

If not I may move and just eat what I already paid though finding something at this late date might be problematic.

Backpacking - it's not just an adventure.

Pages: 1 2 51 replies