Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Velours at Forbidden Island 2.16

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha NorCal. The Hoity Toities are coming up for a night at Forbidden Island. We will be there on Saturday night, around 8 or 9. Im sure we will also be there Friday and Sunday, too. The Pugs, TikiBird and Utopiandreem will also be there.

A

Hoping to head over tonight and see you guys there,
-Randy

Mee, too!

Have faun Gang,
I was wanting to make a return trip up there, while ya'll were gonna be there, but I have not been able to shake this damn flu.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Can't wait, it looks like it will be a great turnout for the hoitys. See ya there tonight!

MT

Coco Loco and I are heading over right now. Who's thirsty?

hope all had a Good time,
to the Hoity Toitys
Ran(kick the reverb) and I were in LA so we stopped by the Tiki Ti and
raised a drink in your Honor while visiting to Nor. Cal.

:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It was great seeing everyone who came out last night. Sorry the Mr. & I didn't stay long. We've got tons of projects to get down before we head off to Flo-i-da this week. :)

M

Great night! Much love to the LoCal ohana for helping to make it a great night at FI.

And kudos to our locals for coming out and showing them some solid NoCal hospitality!

Good times!

A

Hey, it was nice to see folks at the Island on the Island last night. I'm going to break with my custom and post some pics in a very timely manner. Was experimenting with some low light pics last night...

The jab, the bird, and the beard

Ohana hut

The proud proprietor is presently preoccupied

Johnnie waxes eloquent while Rebecca sips

JV and Thayer-akamai, displaying the umbrella-mache sculpture

Monsieur Lemoore

Hi Maria!

TikiHula among the crowd

Miss Loco, Mister Tai, and Madame Velour

-Randy

Fantastic night; great photos Randy. It was great to see everyone. Let's do it again!

T

Randy, wow. Those are the best photos of the inside of FI I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

[ Edited by: TofuJoe 2008-02-17 22:49 ]

S

On 2008-02-17 22:48, TofuJoe wrote:
Randy, wow. Those are the best photos of the inside of FI I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

[ Edited by: TofuJoe 2008-02-17 22:49 ]

I agree! These are amazing! How did you get so much light in the photos? What kind of camera did you use and how?

Suzanne

Mai Tai and I were lusting over Randy's camera. And now that we've seen the results...WOW. Can we say Christmas gift 2008? :) Great pictures.

Great to see the Hoity Toities. We wanted to do it again last night...but alas, ended up back in Alameda at 11 pm. Swung by FI in the hopes that it stayed open later and everyone might still be there...but it was dark and full of empty parking spaces.

TikiBird, was I right about the non-hangover effect of FI drinks? Hope everyone is having a great day and trip back South. Look forward to seeing ya'll again soon!

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2008-02-18 12:22 ]

A

Thanks for the nice comments, the camera really does the work. Just before Christmas we finally updated from Naomi's Canon AE-1 film camera to a digital SLR (a Canon EOS 40D). Naomi knows the photography stuff and I'm just learning, but here's the details if any shutterbugs wanna know. All the photos use a 28mm prime lens at f1.8 and 1600 ISO, with auto shutter speeds. The wide open aperture (low f stop) on the lens helps suck in the light to the sensor, plus we really like the shallow depth of field effect that makes. Also the camera itself does a great job at high ISO without a grainy look. They make lenses that compensate for camera shake on long exposures in low light too, but we don't have one of those yet, so these pics rely on the aperture and ISO to keep relatively fast shutter speeds.

-Randy

Thanks again to everyone who came out to meet us at FI. We had such a great time on Saturday catching up. A special salute to Martin who not only kept drinks flowing for everyone in the bar but also to socialize with all of us. The bar is more amazing in person than from the pictures I've seen. And, of course, the drinks are delicious. I couldn't finish the menu, but there is always next time.

We just made it at last call on Sunday, so we were able to get that last tiki fix in before leaving in the morning.

JV

T

It was a blast seeing all of your guys again! It's been too long. And yes, Randy, your camera does rock.

Nice pictures and glad ya'll had a great time.
Damn....I'm coming up on the anniversary of our Road Trip...

J

On 2008-02-22 17:48, CheekyGirl wrote:
Nice pictures and glad ya'll had a great time.
Damn....I'm coming up on the anniversary of our Road Trip...

Cool, Cheeky! You bringing Bobo with ya?

Pages: 1 18 replies