Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

My home bar finally finished

Pages: 1 29 replies

NN2

Well as anyone who has a home bar or collects tiki, you are never really done.

and here is the adjoining bathroom which is slowly also coming together

so if anybody is ever in my neck of the woods stop by and I'll mix up some drinks, I'm always looking for an excuse.

Nui Nui, I'm always in your neck of the woods! I'll take you up on that drink...

Nui Nui,

Bar looks good! But what do you say if we have you lay down some bass lines for me and LuckyDesigns with that P-Bass tiki bar prop I saw?

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 1:10 PM

great lookin pad!!! i get a couple ???

• is the bar table top covered wih glass? if not what? and if it isn't glass do you know how to cover material with a hardner like that on your bar and look professional.

actually i going to start that question on another thread if you don't know.

ok lookin great! tanks Nui Nui!

gecko

• are the frames in the bathroom above the towel rack rattan or bamboo? did you do them?
NN2

Gecko
The bar top is fabric spray glued down and covered with a material that is used in the sign business (which is what I do for a living). It is some great stuff that is a two part 50/50 mix that when mixed you pour it on and it flows to the edge of your surface and stops. You then spritz with denatured alcahol and it takes about 24 hours to dry and it dries crystal clear and rock hard, though it will scratch under wear and tear. Let me know if you want the name of the product and where to get it here in SoCal. The picture frames are all bamboo and yes I make them too I also sometimes wrap the corners. I have tried for about the last two years to figure out a way to crank them out but with the nature of bamboo each one has to be hand-crafted one at a time. It is very time consuming and the price I have to sell them for raises eyebrowsto the unsuspecting buyer. So for now I just make them for myself and friends. Or if someone wants to perhaps trade.

NN2

Bong
I would love to, it's just a matter of finding a free moment. Funny, it's one of the reasons I stopped playing in the first place, only now instead of girlfriends,jobs, and classes it's wife, jobs, and kids. But I'd love to dust that thing off and make some noise.

Nui Nui,

If you could make a couple of hours every 2 or so weeks, that would be a good start. Hey, I just live in the next beach town north.

I could even figure out the bass lines so you don't have to spend time doing it.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post my phone number and give you directions.

One benefit is my tiki bar is with in mumbling distance of my little home recording studio. Me and LD (that's Lucky Designs rapper name) cool off with a Mai Tai after every practice.

I just bought a vintage Rickenbacker double neck lap steel and I can't wait to lay my steel down on it!

(Through that island wonderland, she's stroking all the kanes parts...)

On 2003-02-20 13:26, Nui Nui 2 wrote:
Gecko
The bar top is fabric spray glued down and covered with a material that is used in the sign business (which is what I do for a living). It is some great stuff that is a two part 50/50 mix that when mixed you pour it on and it flows to the edge of your surface and stops. You then spritz with denatured alcahol and it takes about 24 hours to dry and it dries crystal clear and rock hard, though it will scratch under wear and tear. Let me know if you want the name of the product and where to get it here in SoCal.

I would love to have the name of that product. I'm getting ready to build my bar outside this spring and I'm looking for something to hold up to the weather.

Powerofthetiki

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2003-02-20 15:57 ]

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 4:09 PM

mahaloz Nui Nui! I need some of that stuff asap!!

anyways da bar looks great and fo some of you peopo out there with tings needin a frame...Nui Nui trades dem cool bamboo frames ya!

That bar is so nice. I'll take you up on the drinks next time I'm down that way.

HH

nice job nui nui. your right though a bar is never done. I like the top too. I was gonna use cast and craft resin for my bar but it was just gona cost to much to make it as thick as I wanted it. I still might try it later, but i opted for the easy blck stain and sealer.

You have a great bar Nui. I need that resin stuff too, my bar is getting warped from all the booze spilled on it.

We're are in the same neighborhood, we should head out to Billy's by the Beach one of these nights with Bong to talk about the band. They make a mean Navy Grog there.

Double neck Ricky lap steel?! Now we're getting somewhere. I'm good to practise this weekend if you are, Bong.

J

Love the bar - your ceiling has given me inspiration for the god awful ceiling I have in my bar. Also, where did you get those great bamboo frames in the bathroom?

Every Bit Is Wonderful! I, however, was immediately taken with the Top of the Bar (as were several others)! That is BEAUTIFUL! I could'a sworn I was lookin' at Formica, for Pete's Sake! I know some folks in the Signage Biz over here on the Right Coast. Any chance I can get the name of the product from you to ask them about?

Nice bar!

Just one quick question; Is that a scuba tank next to the bar for effect, or is it a nitrous tank and do you have an addiction we should know about?

D

I need to seal my bar top. I was hoping to do the epoxy, resin deal but when I went to my local Home Depot and they had no idea of what I was looking for. Does anyone have the name of the product? Handford, this thread was much easier to find thanks to the new search.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-18 15:22 ]

D

I awnsered my own question (I think) Here is what I found. Has anyone out there in Tikiland used this stuff brfore?
http://eti-usa.com/consum/castresn/castresn.htm

I love your idea to display the tiki mugs in the bathroom, particularly with the art deco circular display case.

On 2004-01-18 15:21, DawnTiki wrote:
I need to seal my bar top. I was hoping to do the epoxy, resin deal but when I went to my local Home Depot and they had no idea of what I was looking for. Does anyone have the name of the product?
[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-18 15:22 ]

Hi DawnTiki,
I used marine varnish on mine and it has worked out great (clear and waterproof.)About 4 coats.
Great bar Nui Nui.

Nui Nui- Great bar. That round mug shelf is really cool. Is that rattan with glass shelves or...? I like the eclectic mix of goodies in the overhead fishnet. I broke two glass floats fooling around with mine. It's a learning proccess that never ends.

Very nice bar. That guitar hanging on the wall looks like a rare instrument that was popular in England in the 60's and 70's. Any story that goes along with that?

That Guitar looks like a Kent! What make is it?

I dig the oddball guitars. Strats and Teles, Les Pauls and SG'S bore me to death...

TG

Funny what you see after downing a few. What looked like a rare Epiphone last night looks like a nice wall decoration today. The bar still looks great by the way.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2004 7:07 PM

Say, what's that wooden piece in the lower right hand corner? Looks cool. Kinda Rapa Nui Birdman cult looking. Great bar!

B

Really nice room, Down to the Bamboo towel rack . I thought the bar was a glass top. lots of professional looking work there.

NN2

From what information I was able to gather from the lady that gave it to my wife , it is the decorative front end off a canoe they bought years ago on a trip to New Guinea. The guitar on the wall is a Greco and I paid two dollars for it but never got the electronics to work properly so yes it is pretty much a wall decoration. The one guitar on the floor is a Kay and I bought two of those for three dollars each at a garage sale in San Francisco I sold one and the other has remained my favorite for years.

Great work on the bar & bath.
And is that a mystical "orb" I see in front of it (third pic down)? You must be drawing in the Mana ála BK.

I like your use of guitars as decorations and an amp for a table too. What kind of amp head and cabinet is that? My guess would be a '70s Acoustic or Kustom?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2004 6:41 PM

On 2004-01-27 10:46, Nui Nui 2 wrote:
From what information I was able to gather from the lady that gave it to my wife , it is the decorative front end off a canoe they bought years ago on a trip to New Guinea.

I love it whatever it is. Great piece.

Pages: 1 29 replies