Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

If its not by Josh Agle, why list it as Shag on Ebay?

Pages: 1 17 replies

I fully realize this has probably already been discussed but I can't find it in Search. Anyway as a new member of TikiCentral I would love for someone to explain to me why anything Tiki but not by Josh Agle is often listed as Shag on Ebay. Do these idiot sellers think they will draw in other collectors who will fall in love with their crappy wares if they misrepresent them? When I search "Shag mugs" I want mugs by Josh Agle, not every cheap retro drinking item ever made. I for one would never buy from any seller who misrepresented their item no matter how much I liked it. If they will lie about the artist to attract viewers, they will certainly lie about condition of the mug, and lie about their ever sending you the mug you paid for.

I've got some Vintage Shag Eames Era Tropical Tiki Hawaiian stuff for sale on eBay. It is listed at $299 Buy-it-Now with a $2 opening bid.

It is an old Tupperware set I found in mom's attic and it is missing all but one of the lids.

:wink:

It is a pisser, but such is the way of evil-bay these days.

One of the things that fun to do on ebay is search "mugs - shag", search "tiki -barber -bar -parrott", or just go through the category listings and look for recently posted and look for the stuff that is mislabeled or misspelled. If you put in a bit of effort there is still some good stuff out there.

And, try searching head vases....

..the reason people use shag in the title is not because (usually) they are claiming the item is from shag but because when someone types the name shag (which is quite popular these days and whose actuall items sell for big bucks) they will be directed to that sellers auction....

sellers assume that if someone likes shag they also like tiki...and they also hope they like it enough to spend alot of money on it.....so they use his name in the title....

i wouldn't waste time bemoaning the fact....it's just another way sellers usurp an artist identity to sell their wares....

let's face it...i don't see anyone using my name in their search title to sell their wares and believe it or not i am actually known worldwide for my products...even before shag put his first brush to canvas!! LOL

T

Worldwide Tipsy ....lol

New Thread; Show us your Tipsy McStagger.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-02-14 09:57 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-02-14 09:58 ]

TIPSY ERA L@@K

On 2008-02-14 04:47, Chip and Andy wrote:
And, try searching head vases....

And don't forget totem! We don't have any Tiki stuff here in Middle America, but we gots lotsa Totems! Ask anybody selling OA-carved poles outa their barn down by the lake.

K

I got called out once for using the term "hawaiiana" to sell a tiki mug. People don't realize it's a search term, not the item description. I specifically said in the item description that it was NOT a vintage mug, and they still refused to pay me.

Chip and Andy, you rule. Your post cracked me up. I look forward to your "Shag Tupperware" price guide available soon from Amazon.

What a coincidence! I happen to have some near mint Shag sand in a jar! Okay its not really made by Shag, but hey its SAND (you know, from next to the ocean) and wouldn't that appeal to all Tiki collectors?

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2008-02-14 22:53 ]

T

I occasionally sell some of my stuff on ebay. It is not meant to incorrectly state what the seller (Well...majority of sellers) is listing. It is strictly a search tool where the seller is hoping more people will look at the auction.
Who the hell would not want more people and possibly more bids on their items??!!
Ebay is buyer beware and if you can't tell what the item is then I say don't bid on it.
Half the descriptions on ebay say "Rare" or "HTF", does that mean the seller is lying to you or are they just selling something that they have never seen before or have to sell?
Are orange colored Trader Vic salt and peppers rare? Or are they Shag? No, not at all, but by putting those two words in the description you looked at it and so did I. Nothing wrong with that. It might spark someone's interest in that auction.

It's strictly a ploy to get more people interested in their items and as long as they are not out and out lying about the item then there is nothing wrong with that. Using Shag or other terms like that is also done because the seller may do a little research into the item to get a understanding of Tiki and comes across Shag as such a wide used term. Some will probably not know any better.

PS - Speaking of Trader Vic's, There is a salt and pepper set on Ebay right now with a buy it now of $275.00!! CRAZY!

"Shag" is becoming the catch-all term for Tiki/Mid-Century Modern/Googie style. Sort of the same way "Eames" is used as a catch-all term for just about anything made in the 50s and 60s.

The use of these terms are not accurate, but they do seem to effectively attract attention. It is sort of like those psychology experiments where they plaster the word 'sex' to see if it will attract people's attention.

Oh Shit!
Here we go again. (Reg thread)

" What can be classified from traditional main stream shag from vintage archaeological shag?"

The un-Shag thread:

On 2008-02-15 21:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Oh Shit!

" What can be classified from traditional main stream shag from vintage archaeological shag?"

The un-Shag thread:

Sorry for ruining your life by bringing up an old thread. I am truly sorry I did not take the time to sift through the 3325 results that come up on any Shag search on this board. The fact that you had to gaze for even a moment upon the subject line of this thread will keep me up all night. Thank you for working through that pain to set me straight. You so easily could have just not clicked this thread but you actually took the time to to make sure that there will never be thread number 3326 about Shag at Tiki Central. Without jerks like me there would only be 3000 results for that search and the world would be a better place.

Unga, go to your room.

no dinner for you either.

On 2008-02-15 21:59, SuperEight wrote:

On 2008-02-15 21:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Oh Shit!

The un-Shag thread:

Sorry for ruining your life by bringing up an old thread. I am truly sorry I did not take the time to sift through the 3325 results that come up on any Shag search on this board. The fact that you had to gaze for even a moment upon the subject line of this thread will keep me up all night. Thank you for working through that pain to set me straight. You so easily could have just not clicked this thread but you actually took the time to to make sure that there will never be thread number 3326 about Shag at Tiki Central. Without jerks like me there would only be 3000 results for that search and the world would be a better place.

SuperEight,
Lighten up and have a drink, it wasn't a personal hit at you, just the concept.
Actually I was looking forward to such a thread. It can get stale around here sometimes.
Cheers!

SuperEight, you do realize the irony of your ire, right?

UngaBunga made a sarcastic comment because someone started a thread with the word "SHAG" in it and it turned out not to be something that interested him. Sound a little like how this thread got started?
:lol:

And fear not - youd'a known if he was attacking you :wink:

I've given up caring about misrepresentation on eBay. Well, mostly. I still hate it when my time is wasted clicking on items with catch words intended to lure me in.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2008 11:11 AM

It's that damned Bamboo Ben----he puts SHAG in the description of EVERYTHING he tries to sell on ebay, no matter if it's a Munktiki mug, chainsaw, Christmas lights, hairclippers, etc.

Well, maybe he doesn't, but GROG wouldn't put it past him.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-02-17 11:12 ]

On 2008-02-17 11:11, GROG wrote:
It's that damned Bamboo Ben----he puts SHAG in the description of EVERYTHING he tries to sell on ebay, no matter if it's a Munktiki mug, chainsaw, Christmas lights, hairclippers, etc.

Well, maybe he doesn't, but GROG wouldn't put it past him.

Oh shit! Here we go again.
The "Is Bamboo Ben worthy enough, to buy something from him on Ebay" issue.

The Un-Ben thread.

Pages: 1 17 replies