Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Anything new in Arizona?

Pages: 1 15 replies

I'll probably be in Phoenix next week. Has anything changed in the last year? I've already seen Scottsdale's TV, Phoenix' Bikini Lounge, Chandlers's Aloha Motel, The Drift (forgot where that is...which is really best) and I attended the Arizona Aloha Festival last year (which I'll miss this year).

I might also be able to get to Tucson. I know of the closure of Magic Carpet Golf (may have to leave flowers), of course, and would of course see Kon Tiki. I skipped The Hut and may do so again. Is anything new in Tucson?

I was wondering the same thing... we'll be in Scottsdale in march for spring training (baseball) and I wondered if there was someplace "tiki" we could stay... Sounds like you are in the Know... any suggestions for a weekend stay??

Thanks!

New in AZ. there was something give me a minute...Oh yeah the NYG winning the Super Bowl !!!!

..and it rains about every week here & is actually pretty BRISK...but wait a month and THAT won't be the case ; )

No, tikitwosome, I'm afraid I don't know of any truly tiki accomodations in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, save for the Aloha Motel in Chandler which has a decent sign and at least one tiki outside. There's a post about it somewhere here. I don't know what the inside looks like.

Frankly, I'd like to know of any good, non-chain places to stay.

Btw, since you're there in mid-March, you might want to check out the Arizona Aloha Festival.

the Aloha Motel is worth a drive by but...ONLY if you are in that area for other reasons...it HAS to be nothing but std. 70s style TINY rooms of the road motel variety...ther eis NO way that place is even SLIGHTLY aware it could tiki up and do better...

Yeah, my aunt lives in Chandler and I love driving by the Aloha Motel, but it has the feel of rooms being paid for by the hour.

Chandler Liquors is fun. Run down, but there are some bottles on those shelves I'd swear have been around since the '60s!

On 2008-02-15 18:33, tikitwosome wrote:
I was wondering the same thing... we'll be in Scottsdale in march for spring training (baseball) and I wondered if there was someplace "tiki" we could stay... Sounds like you are in the Know... any suggestions for a weekend stay??

Thanks!

Hotel Valley Ho (Not Tiki but very swanky & home to Trader Vic's)

I've been in Phoenix three days, and can now recommend the Circle RB Lodge, a well-preserved motor court (late 1940's, I think), along old hwy 60 (Main Street) in Mesa. I've been there the last few nights and will be a few nights longer. It's similar to the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari NM, if you're familiar with that one. Unlike most of the old motor courts, the between-room garage areas at the RB and the Blue Swallow were never filled in to create new rooms.

I saw the RB when photographing motel signs on a trip to Phoenix in 2005 ( http://www.thelope.com/2005/05/phoenix-area-hwy-60.html ) and noticed then that it was well cared for, unlike a lot of other hwy 60 properties.

Thanks for the info, we booked at the Sheraton with travel agent discount. we really only need a bed and shower since it's just a weekend, we plan to get all we can out of our time.

We will probably hit the Drift South Pacific Fusion on Saturday night. Know anything about that place?? And Trader Vics on Sunday night after the ballgame...

B

My folks just returned from Tucson and my sister had asked them to stop by the Kon Tiki and get ANYthing - well, they could have just purchased a couple of mugs, but then found out if they had a drink they could have the mugs and the cost was the same, so they ordered a couple of Kamehamehas (sp?) and my mom said to my dad "The things we do for our kids"! LOL They went back that evening with the folks they were visiting and had two more! Woo Hoo! Mugs all around! They even got to see the monitor lizard in the glass room - apparently he rarely makes an appearance. He was hiding when they came back that night. They really enjoyed it and the atmosphere. We may be converting two more people into Tiki nuts! The more the merrier I say!

Waaahoooooo, thanks for the pictures, looks like your group had a fine time!

We've finally decided, it's going to be a whirlwind weekend, baseball and tikis!

We're going to drive to Tuscon (Tuscon?) on Saturday after the game for dinner at Kon-Tiki, then back and to the Drift or Trader Vics for drinks, then The one we didn't make it to on Sunday evening before we fly back home. I'm thinking Trader Vics Sunday, hope they are open then...

I'm excited about going to Kon-Tiki! I've heard it's much better now than a few years back, so I've read...

Mookie

We got back last night from our weekend trip. Lots of fun! We made it to Tuscon to the Kon Tiki and Sunday night to Trader Vics. We hit some antique stores too and found a few things, I'll post them on tiki finds.

Here are some pics:

The great sign at Kon Tiki. The restaurant is located in a strip mall on a busy street, reminded me of the Mai Kai in Florida. Squeezed inbetween buildings was this hidden treasure.

Matt stands next to the tiki for scale.

We ate dinner here after driving about 2 hours south from Pheonix to Tuscon, it's a straight shot though, worth the drive. The Kon Tiki is very old school, lots of thatching, floats, lights, ambiance (if you can get past the rock music and sports on the tv's. Luckily they seated us in the back where it was less evident. The Kon Tiki has lots of space, it's pretty open but lots of separate open rooms for dining. Food was very good, drinks were ok, not great. The service sucks, college kids mostly who don't know or care about tiki history, don't bother asking them anything. Still, worth the trip if you are a true tiki fan.

I'm so glad we made it to Trader Vics, it's fabulous!

When you walk in the lobby it's tastefully done with tikis, stones, bamboo and full of ambiance.

From the lobby looking into the bar area. The people working there were really friendly and excited that we loved the place.

It looks high scale, it is a bit pricey but it just makes you think of what it must have been like way back when our parents were young and hip!

Love the table settings.

Just outside of the bar area is the patio, it was such a nice day and we just came from the Giants game and couldn't resist. We even got 20% off with our Giants game day ticket!

The swanky fire pit makes you want to come for an entire evening with friends and take a cab back when they close! Oh yeah, next time for sure!

I love this place! We're going back next spring training with a big group of friends for a week, I know we'll spend some time here.

Mookie

..by the time the HEAT rolls around...you will see NO ONE on that patio. I know--I LIVE HERE.

Ha! true, but it's perfect in March!

Pages: 1 15 replies