Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

mauna loa detroit vintage s&p drum shakers on ebay

Pages: 1 4 replies

I have a mint condition pair of Mauna Loa Detroit drum S&P shakers out on ebay. Just search for Mauna Loa Detroit and they should come right up. I have a pair so I thought someone should enjoy the second. Thanks

Hey....Does anyone know if these were used strictly at the Mauna Loa in Detroit or also the other locations like in Canada or Mexico with the same name?? These S&P's are not marked Detroit like some of the mugs. Has anyone seen anything marked with the Canadian location of the same name out of Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, Canada? Or has anyone got a pair of these S&P's that actually say Detroit on them?? TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-02-19 06:22 ]

I could just be a show off and say because THESE...

...were given to me by Florian Gabriel, the man who had designed them for the Mauna Loa in Detroit!
But also, these do have it spelled out underneath:

Plus, of course, their logo type face is the Detroit one's

And I do believe that the Detroit one and the Mexico City one were a separate entity...though they seemed to have used the same menu artist.
But Mauna Loa was not a chain.

Nice shakers bigbro. I have never seen a set like that. Must have been a very early run. As far as I know the Mauna Loa in Detroit was the only place to use this design of shaker. Counting the ones you have I think there are now three variations of the same shaker for the Detroit location. Also the ones I have posted are from the Detroit location as the Mauna Loa font is a very distinctive font. And yes the Detroit location stood alone from the other same name establishments. Thanks

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-02-18 16:50 ]

T

Nice set Bigbrotiki! Shakers that is! Come on!!
I have not seen one marked with Detroit on them before. Quite the source I might add as well!

Okay, the Mauna Loa in Detroit was not a chain and had no connections to the other Restaurant's with the same name BUT the Mauna Loa in Mexico City and the Mauna Loa location here in Canada (of all places) were connected!! Does anyone have a matchbook that possibly has any information on it?? I do not.

In the early to mid 1960's both places were operating. Does anyone know where the Mauna Loa in Mexico City was actually located? I know it was on Hamburgo but was it in a Hotel or a seperate Restaurant?

Do we know for sure that there was no affiliation between the two? The menu design is quite the same. Were maybe the S&P's that were marked Detroit actually for the Detroit location and possibly the others another place? Probably not but just wondering a loud here. TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-02-18 20:31 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies