Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Old New Orleans Rum Company Tour

Pages: 1 1 replies

T

I recently went to tour the Old New Orleans Rum Co. It was kind of hard to locate it as the area is one of those that is struggling more so than others to come back in a post-Katrina world. They told me the place had eight feet of water from the hurricane.

Last time I have been in anything that was distilled was the Abita brewery on the Northshore. That’s another story for the Drunken/Free Beer/Frat Brother/Sister Central website.

When you enter the place, of course, the place smells like rum. Just that initial smell was very nice and enticing.

The tour they give is I think $10 and credited against a purchase. They provided me with a drink while I took the tour. Anyway they have all sorts of silvery things that help them make the rum. Here is a picture. The science of distilling is pretty boring but the end product is great. I don’t think they use this one but it’s a cool picture anyway.

They showed me other silvery things and explain the rum making business. I am still somewhat amazed at how anyone figured out how to make alcohol in the first place.

They also have a tiki bar I took a picture of it.

There are rum barrels. Here is a picture of some of them. For collectors I will take one of these filled over a ceramic mug thingy any day.

Anyway, we went back to the front bar and talked about New Orleans stuff and Gab explained a few things to me while we continue to sample some rum.

The company is owned by Michalopoulos. If you are not familiar with him, if you come to New Orleans, you will see his art everywhere (make sure if you purchase some it’s his and not some knock-off). His artwork is on the label on the back of the bottle but to truly appreciate it you need to drink the rum first.

I don’t know if there could be a better job description anywhere Artist/Rum Company Owner. Wait I just thought of it: god!

They’ve been around for 13 years (I feel like an idiot not knowing about this earlier even though there are posts about the company on this website) and have four types which are:

Crystal
Cajun Spiced
Old New Orleans Amber
10 Yr. Old

The spice has cayenne pepper in it so I am unsure of exactly what would match up with it. It might provide an extra kick for Bloody Mary’s but am unsure of what else. Something to research.

The tags on the bottles have recipes and there were postcards one I thought was great was “Chocolate City Martini”. An oldie but goodie for our illustrious mayor (being sarcastic).

The 10 yr old is pretty smooth and the bottles are numbered. I am thinking of hosting a blind taste test and put it straight up against Pyrate XO, Rhum Barbacourt, and Zaya. From my limited experience on drinking of the high end rums I think it could hold its own.

Anyway, if you are down here for whatever reason Tales of the Tiki Cocktail (http://www.talesofthecocktail.com), New Orleans French Quarter Festival (http://www.fqfi.org), Jazz Fest (http://www.nojazzfest.com), Mardi Gras etc.( http://www.neworleansonline.com) it might be worthwhile to take a tour. I know I enjoyed myself and I would be interested in what others have to say about the rum.

Oh yeah the Tales of the Tiki Cocktail is this Friday and I am so excited except I have to fly out to Pleasanton, CA at 10:00 the next morning. I posted the menu and some details somewhere else. That is going to be one long flight.

I've taken this tour twice. Once with my wife (before we were married), and again with friends during my NOLA bachelor party weekend. The tour was great and informative, although they didn't have a tiki bar when I went. They give you tastes of all their products. The 10 year aged rum supply had unfortunately run out by then, but they had something called Gingeroo which was quite interesting (dark and stormy lovers take note). Their cajun spiced rum is unlike anything I've tasted. At the time they weren't allowed to ship to Texas but I've just started seeing their products in stores so I'm glad they finally got that figured out and I can buy these without taking an 8 hour detour to NOLA. Although... I am overdo for a visit...

Pages: 1 1 replies