Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New to Tiki central and first mug

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hi ya,
I'm new to the forums and actually new to ceramics, but I have a small collection of mugs and bowls. So I got bored the other day and bought some clay for a mug well the sculpting part anyway. But here it is kinda generic but its my first and its not finished.

Thanks

T

"Kinda generic" and also "Kinda cool" I like it.

Thanks, don't really know what im doing just need a hobb.

V

Great start!

I can't tell you how stoked I am to see this post - I LOVE the idea of someone so intrigued by Tiki style that they were compelled to make a mug! It is just like all those people sculpting Devils Tower in the Close Encounters film. Can't wait to see how the mug progresses. Will you be molding it, or is it a one-of-a-kind piece? There is a great step-by-step thread on molding and casting tiki mugs somewhere in the creating tiki forums. Welcome to TC!

Henrik

Wow, thanks for that. LOL like Close Encounters it just came to me when I was in AC Moore with my wife. I had been looking on Ooga Mooga and this forum a week or two before. I thought about molding it, well its pretty much just a solid chunk of clay and I wasn't looking forward to hollowing it out. I have actually looked at the molding and casting tutorial on this site by HMC I think it is. Probably make some for myself and some friends (they would get a kick out of it). Its really going to be a learning experience. When I first joined the air force my dorm room was done up as a Tiki bar, I got most my stuff from a thrift store. Well its cool to here the feedback from you guys so far, and i will keep posting its progress. Later

[ Edited by: Pirate6801 2008-02-18 14:56 ]

Well added a little more detail tonight, little unhappy with the eyes.

T

Oh, I like the eyes. You didn't even need eyes much like the popular Easter Island heads. Good simple mug. Nothing looks wrong or out of place. The next one you can go for more "depth".

T

Sweet mug! The only way it could be better is if it had tits for eyes! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

TT

Wow, that's very cool! Really sharp for a first time out.
I dig it the most! :)

Pages: 1 9 replies