Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's Shanghai Closes Doors

Pages: 1 8 replies

Just heard from Tiki Al that the Shanghai Trader Vic's closed its doors for the last time this last week. I checked out the main Trader Vic's website and they haven't updated the change. However, I noticed that the Shanghai location opened December 29, 2006. So, they lasted a little over a year...

Al is coming back to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks. I'm sure he'll have some pictures to post. The Shaghai Trader Vic's was his little slice of home since he left town several months ago.

T

Too bad... it was on my "bucket" list

On 2008-02-18 17:59, Trader Tom wrote:
Just heard ... that the Shanghai Trader Vic's closed its doors ...

WHAT ???

this is a shame - the place looked great:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25361&forum=2

if they canĀ“t keep business going in a boomtown like shanghai
something is terrible wrong ...

M
  • tikigap wrote:

WTF! Arrrghhhh....

It was on my "April 24-27" list. Son of a ...

This really irks my craw.
midnite in the garden of peeved-offness

EDIT: You may wish to change the title of this topic, 'cause you're wrong! Shanghai Vic's did not close. BOTH China Trader Vic's locations closed.

No ticky before April, no Mai Tai for you, midnite!

I get back from a week away and read about Shanghai. Shit! So, I did some quick looksees at my expat Chinese websites and got the one-two to the solar plexes. This puts the ole kibosh on my drinking plans for April. To the drawing board!

There is a time and season for all things. For Chinese Trader Vic's...they barely outlive mayflies.

4Q, Shanghai Goldens Sand. 4Q!
midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-02-20 10:38 ]

M

Well, the above news put such a crease in my knickers but here's something to salvage the mood. A wee pick me up off the floor and have a 15% bone for future purchases, at their website, I suppose.

This 15% off coupon will likely last as long as a Chinese Trader Vic's

Fifteen million people in Shanghai and they cannot support a Vic's? Beijing lasts a couple of months. Crud! They probably got like 837 KentuckyMcStarbuckings, though. No Mai Tais? No Navy Grogs like my fave Dick Nixon enjoyed? Oh, the humanity. Looks like I will take up the opium again.

I keed I keed, I'll stick to black tar heroin...
midnite express

J

On 2008-02-19 21:22, midnite_tiki wrote:

• tikigap wrote:

WTF! Arrrghhhh....

It was on my "April 24-27" list. Son of a ...

This really irks my craw.
midnite in the garden of peeved-offness

I feel your pain Capt. Midnite! The BH Vic's was on my "May 18-21, 2007" list. When I called on April 30 to make dinner reservations, I learned the painful truth that I would never see the famed Beverly Hills Trader Vic's!

March issue of Harper's:
Number of South Koreans who work as on-call " replacement drivers" for customers too drunk to drive home : 83,000
Est. number of customers they serve each day : 700,000

Hello Trader Vics.. How's South Korean sound !!!

G

On 2008-02-20 11:25, JenTiki wrote:
The BH Vic's was on my "May 18-21, 2007" list. When I called on April 30 to make dinner reservations, I learned the painful truth that I would never see the famed Beverly Hills Trader Vic's!

It was on my June 3-15, 2007 list. I feel your pain Jen.

Trader Vic's better not be shutting anymore of its far east venues, I have my heart set on a mai tai in Bangkok Trader Vic's, on the third of March.

Pages: 1 8 replies