Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki kon VI ???

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

P

Anyone have information on the next Portland Oregon Tiki Kon??

I heard a rumor that there may not be a Kon this year.
There will be, however, a Tiki Happy Hour at 4:30 on the
third Tuesday of each month at the Teardrop Lounge:
1015 NW Everett St. in Portland's Pearl District.

I bet someone there may have a better idea of what's going on.

Another place for more info would be a subscription to the Northwest Territory Tiki Mailing List at:
http://nwtiki.com/mailman/listinfo/nwterritorymailinglist_nwtiki.com

(If in case, something does happen this year, but ends up being a double-secret, invitation-only event.)

Finally, if last year's organizers have other obligations this year,
that's not to say someone else couldn't decide to put something together.

P

thanks for the information. I'll subscribe to that list.

Hope they do one this year. I have wanted to go for the last couple, but haven't been able to get the time. Guess if nothing else,as you suggested, an informal weekend at that cool retro motel up there, can't recall its name, and an evening at the Alibi.

pax
paco

RB

I've also heard rumblings of no Tiki Kon this summer, though nothing official. BTW, popped in for a quick drink at the innaugural Tiki Tuesday at Teardrop Lounge. I had a "Nui Nui" and the wife a "Lei Lani Volcano"...good stuff! Looking forward to the next one.

T

On 2008-02-20 06:54, pacodoc wrote:
an informal weekend at that cool retro motel up there, can't recall its name, and an evening at the Alibi.

The Palms? (Across the street from the Alibi), or the Jupiter/Doug Fir? (Last year's location)
In any case, it sounds like the beginning of a plan for something to happen this year.

I just signed up for the NWTT mailing list. Tiki A. Moaikingbird & I were starting to plan our 2nd annual world tiki tour with Tiki Kon VI as its destination and we'd be very disappointed if it didn't happen this year.

P

I must have been thinking of the Jupiter. Although after looking at the website, It isn't as mid-century modern as I had thought it was. I don't know Portland that well, despite living in Oregon for 20 years now, but there must be some flea bag retro motel up there someplace. In any case, if nothing happens with Tiki Kon VI, a little informal gathering would be nice.

BTW... What is the name of that Tiki store up there? I went there last year and picked up a couple things. Hope they have been able to stay open.

pax
paco

What is the name of that Tiki store up there? I went there last year and picked up a couple things. Hope they have been able to stay open.

I think you're referring to the Freaky Tiki Retro Deck in Beaverton. Last I heard they were still open...I saw a small ad from them in a local paper a month or so ago.

ok. we need an event there. just so we can say Beaverton ~ a lot.
but i think it might just be a store

On 2008-02-20 10:53, pacodoc wrote:
there must be some flea bag retro motel up there someplace.

The Palms is definitely that...
(and conveniently located near the Alibi.)

http://www.palmsmotel.com/
http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8484839/portland_or/the_palms_motel.html

Well, It certainly looks like there is motivation to make some kind of event happen,
although perhaps not a full-blown Kon.

If there is some sort of event, I hope a home bar tour is on the agenda.

GASP!!!

No '08 Tiki Kon? WHAT THE...

There just has to be a Kon this year. There just HAS to..... sniff, snivel

Come on! Tiki-Kon is the one time a year the wife and haul our daughter to
an away form home Tiki Event! Last year I won the Coconut monkey mug by
Munktiki and it was the hioghlight of my life... Please Craig and Heather,
for the love of Rum Tiki-Kon must live on......

T

Still no word on a yes or no for the NW Tiki Kon?

M

Aloha everybody!

More news coming as it develops, but I can officially announce:

TIKI KON VI: Saturday, June 28, 2008.

Mark your calendars. Shine your Liver.

[ Edited by: Melintur 2008-04-09 16:40 ]

So - would you say this is a low (Ti)key event this year then compared to previous years? LOL!!

S

If this years TikiKON is really only one night, maybe some of us should think about booking rooms at The Palms and hanging out at The Alibi on Friday night.

We'd be up for that!!

Can we get an official word on whether this years Kon is only one day as suggested earlier? Come on folks, the calendar is filling up fast!

On 2008-05-12 08:44, seamus wrote:
If this years TikiKON is really only one night, maybe some of us should think about booking rooms at The Palms and hanging out at The Alibi on Friday night.

We'd be up for that!!

Can we get an official word on whether this years Kon is only one day as suggested earlier? Come on folks, the calendar is filling up fast!

Who are you again?????:
:P

[ Edited by: Maori_man 2008-05-12 10:04 ]

S

Even I forget sometimes. But I do know I like rum, crappy motels, The Alibi, and cheap dates!

On 2008-05-12 08:44, seamus wrote:

We'd be up for that!!

ONE DAY!?? How can you possibly do it all in one day? We can barely squeeze in everything in 2 or 3 days!

Gotta agree. The calendar is filling up and we need to make reservations and plans. There are a good number of us in the Seattle area who have to make some plans to attend.

One day only: June 28.

The focus this year will solely be on Cocktails, so the Tiki mixologists and liquorati will certainly want to attend.

This Friday the 16th, I'll have details up about the schedule and tickets and such. This will be a small, intimate event in comparison to other years.

cmh

S

So would anyone else like to extend the festivities and meet up at The Alibi on Friday night and get some rooms at The Palms across the street? The prices range from $50 to $60 and they do offer a group rate. We could even make it a mini crawl and start out at Thatch!
Anyone interested?????

M

As extra enticement, Heather and I now live 10 minutes walking (and MAXing) distance from the Alibi. :)

D

dibs on Budgie's dogbed!

T

On 2008-05-13 14:50, seamus wrote:
So would anyone else like to extend the festivities and meet up at The Alibi on Friday night and get some rooms at The Palms across the street? The prices range from $50 to $60 and they do offer a group rate. We could even make it a mini crawl and start out at Thatch!
Anyone interested?????

Since this will be my first NWTikiKon, my girlfriend and I would be up for meeting and greeting and extra day. We both haven't been to any of the tiki bars of Portland, so this would be an extra bonus.

Will there be any mugs available such as the last few years have offered?

S

OK, I've talked to a couple folks, and we're gonna do it!

I just booked our room at The Palms and created a group password so that if we book 7 or more rooms we get a few bucks off the price. They will also try to keep our group in adjacent rooms if possible. The password is........ TIKI.

I am planning on hanging at The Alibi for happy hour then hopping the MAX (no driving!) and touring some of the wonderful dive bars North Portland has to offer. We'll bring maps so you're free to wander or follow others. I've heard mention of The Dancin' Bare! We'll hit The Alibi again late for a nitecap and then back to The Palms for....did someone say room parties?

http://www.palmsmotel.com
503-287-5788
password- TIKI

Do a google image search for The Palms if you want a better look than the website offers.

See you there!!

S

Sorry folks, someone just got the jacuzzi room!

P

Smokey and I will be there!

so, is there a place to sign up for the actual Kon? I might have missed a post about it, but we would like to get our name on asap. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing pictures of all your cool Tiki bars and stuff.

pax

paco

On 2008-05-13 11:43, Melintur wrote:
One day only: June 28.

The focus this year will solely be on Cocktails, so the Tiki mixologists and liquorati will certainly want to attend.

This Friday the 16th, I'll have details up about the schedule and tickets and such. This will be a small, intimate event in comparison to other years.

cmh

Oh what a shame! The previous years have been so much fun getting to visit everyone's tiki bar set up and the excitement at the Jupiter.

What happened?

On 2008-05-14 14:10, seamus wrote:
Sorry folks, someone just got the jacuzzi room!

Hahahaha oh Seamus! Austin and I booked that room once and boy will you be impressed. Trust me...the key makes all the difference!

S

Sadly, It wasn't I who booked it. A friend grabbed it, but said he'd share...

T

I can't wait! Tiare and I both put our time off in at work, and it looks like we will be taking the Amtrack from Everett. So, even better when I don't have to drive down. For a bonus the train on the way back to Everett has a lounge car, but with drink to be had in Portland, I don't think I will have the opportunity let alone liver to test out their mixology.

S

Here's a map of N. Interstate Ave. with all the bars and The Palms flagged.
I doubt we'll be hitting them all, but we can certainly try!

Map Link

If you want to know the details of any of these places, many of them can be found on
http://www.barflymag.com

Here's some great pics of The Palms and a little light reaging to go along.

Link

Even if you're not crashing at The Palms, you're all welcome to meet up with us at any point in the evening.

This is not an official part of the Tiki Kon.
It's just a grassroots effort to give us all more time to hang out together.
And drink, of course! The more the merrier.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus 2008-05-16 13:36 ]

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten links - 2008-06-17 23:33 ]

Greetings all!

As you know, this year's Tiki Kon is going to be a small, one-day affair on Saturday, June 28, 2008.

We will be visiting the Alibi, Having an extended stay at Thatch which will include a small presentation about mixology and drink history, and hitting a home bar or two to wrap up the day.

The cost will be $25 per person (to cover gas for the bus), limit of 2 tickets per person('s email) - the seating this year is limited.

So here are the directions to get/reserve your tickets:

Send email to [email protected] -- include "Tiki Kon VI tickets" as the subject of the email

list names and email addresses of those who want tickets in the email and I will contact you back for reservation status.

Also, please keep in mind Seamus' great 'unofficial' start to the event! We might have an 'unofficial' Sunday morning brunch as well.

T

We're booked into the Palms, too. A fascinating room with one king size bed. I wonder what makes it fascinating?

Tolovana

The Monkey Skull is booked into the Palms. You have been warned.

S
seamus posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2008 2:35 PM

There won't be any vending, but if anyone is interested in any of my Tiki art and wants me to bring something, feel free to PM or Email me.

It won't be long now.... Yeehaa!

M

Bad News my little Irish friend - my dadburn band leader booked a Fucking show in Medford for the 27th (Friday). Hopefully I will be back in time to partake in the afternoons festivities! I mean really! What the hell?

I guess you will have to storm the North side without me.

I got my ticket!

A little something to get everyone in the mood!

Interstate neon documentary short...."Lighting the Past"
Palms, Alibi, Crown Motel and more! (I am the dork in the Citroen jacket)

http://www.npmtc.com/gallery/index.php

Looks like there are a couple Canadians coming down for a little Kon!! Looking forward to checking things out and seeing Thatch for the 1st. time!!

Feel free to PM me if anybody needs any maple syrup or anything else when I come!!
TabooDan

"maple syrup" = cuban rum?

On 2008-06-17 11:03, sputnikmoss wrote:
A little something to get everyone in the mood!

Interstate neon documentary short...."Lighting the Past"
Palms, Alibi, Crown Motel and more! (I am the dork in the Citroen jacket)

http://www.npmtc.com/gallery/index.php

Good for you guys and good luck with the Crown Motel Sign project. (The Nite Hawk is a good place to find a pool game if anyone is bringing a cue.) Thanks for sharing the video.

T

On 2008-06-17 23:16, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
"maple syrup" = cuban rum?

Hell yeh....but not too obvious now!!
You coming or does only BC represent Canada at this event??

Just booked at the Palms as well! The boys from Funhauser are probably coming also!!! Another Northern Tiki Invasion!!

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-06-18 22:14 ]

We just booked at The Palms ... yikes, more Canadians!

On 2008-06-18 21:55, TabooDan wrote:

Won't be able to make it due to the very bad luck of having to work. I know you Vancouver lot will be fine ambassadors of peace, goodwill and international blahblah. Tiki A. Moaikingbird and I will be visiting Seattle and Portland in early August. I don't think there are any events planned during that time so we'll just have to make something happen.

On 2008-06-19 15:53, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

On 2008-06-18 21:55, TabooDan wrote:

Won't be able to make it due to the very bad luck of having to work. I know you Vancouver lot will be fine ambassadors of peace, goodwill and international blahblah. Tiki A. Moaikingbird and I will be visiting Seattle and Portland in early August. I don't think there are any events planned during that time so we'll just have to make something happen.

Definitely let us know when you guys head out West and we'll get drunk in America... eh?

S

Yaaaaayyyy, the Canadians are coming! Friday night is shaping up better than we'd hoped for. I've been warming up with extra rations of rum each night just so I'll be ready for this wacky weekend of debauchery. Jauna and I can't wait to see you all!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies