Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sunshine pop

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

I'm on a "sunshine pop" kick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

Anyone else into this stuff? This station on live365 does a great job:
http://www.live365.com/stations/whyfidelity?tmx=1203488315290

The heavy California-identification (the ideal CA, not the nuts and bolts one), the touches of psychedelia and dreamy love utopianism...

I have rediscovered something that the world needs now. Because it's so, it's so ... NOW!

So they put Sunshine in a lollipop now?
Far Out!

T

I'm on a "sunshine pop" kick.
I said kick, not lick, you insensitive brute. This post was supposed to be pure, like rays of sunshine. Your joke is like a dark cloud, but I won't let it intrude on my positive, smiley fusion of baroque and psychelia on this sunny California day.

Then again, you posted this, so you must be O.K.:

On 2005-12-18 02:07, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2005-12-17 23:21, Thomas wrote:

On 2005-12-17 23:09, Rum Balls wrote:
For those still looking for a simple explanation: Mancow is ...

Oh, man! I was trying not to know. Like in high school when we had a computer science teacher (a new thing then) and her name was Mrs. Mo... something or other. My friend and I resolved to never learn her name. We called her "Mrs. Mahavishnu." Once in the rest room some other guys entered, discussing her class. I could tell they were about to mention her name, so I put my fingers in my ears and hummed. Even though this caused me to splatter my shoes a bit, it was worth it.

Curiously, though, in my adult life I've always been a laggard when it comes to computer skills. I blame society for this.

Thomas, I have no freakin' clue about what your talkin about, but yet I still found it interesting. :)
Damn Rum!

K

On 2008-02-19 22:36, Thomas wrote:
I'm on a "sunshine pop" kick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

Anyone else into this stuff? This station on live365 does a great job:
http://www.live365.com/stations/whyfidelity?tmx=1203488315290

The heavy California-identification (the ideal CA, not the nuts and bolts one), the touches of psychedelia and dreamy love utopianism...

I have rediscovered something that the world needs now. Because it's so, it's so ... NOW!

When I hear the term "sunshine pop" I think of Bread and Edison Lighthouse ...definitely late 60's early 70's flowery fluff...which isn't bad. I prefer the Live365 moniker "power pop" or "melodic rock" when people ask me what genre of rock I like best. Live365 is a great resource for this kind of stuff. That's where I discovered bands like the Merrymakers and Myracle Brah.

Something else you should check out is the Not Lame Podcast. Not Lame is a recording company that puts out a ton of indy power pop ..a lot of what you'll hear on Live365.

D

damn. i was hoping this was about soda.
cuz i'd love to be able to drink rays of light, especially in dreary seattle.

Huh. I had no idea this kinda pop had ever been designated as a genre. As it turns out I'm a big fan. I've loved the Mamas and the Papas and the Fifth Dimension since I was a kid (mom grooved on 'em) and the Association is a band (?) I considered a guilty pleasure. (I figgered anyone with supposed taste or rock-n-roll cred would turn a nose up at 'em.)

Of the current groups that might get tossed into the Sunshine Pop category Belle and Sebastian are one of all time favorite bands.

Fer anyone that digs this style of pop I'd suggest checkin' out Josh Rouse. His 2003 quasi-concept album 1972 is chock fulla Sunshine Pop sounds.

K

...or, if you're into super-fluff sweet candy chewy marble poppy-go-lucky bright sunshiny fresh powder puff pop music...you need to check out The Free Design.

Dallas Trader Vic's Overstock Sale

[ Edited by: Kenike 2008-02-28 17:13 ]

T

Excellent! Great to hear others are in to this too. Yeah, I hadn't known "it" had a name either. And the Free Design -- I've heard their "Kites Are Fun" on the live365 station I mention above. Too much!

I try to find ways to relate this stuff to tiki. The two don't quite embrace each other, but the "degrees of separation" aren't that far apart. Just the whole "California-ness" of it is a start, and I guess you could say the axis between them, sort of connecting the two, is Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, their stuff like Smile and Pet Sounds.

Just amateur musings right now, haven't delved into this too much yet, but definitely love it. I definitely go for the mellow dreamy stuff -- some bands seem to have focused on the confused, panicky side of psychedelia and I've got to think, who needs it? Life offers enough of that side of things as it is, no?

T

I'm totally into the 5th Dimension! We saw them (in their current incarnation) just a year or two ago in Laughlin -- they were great! There's some fine stuff of them on Youtube, as I discovered recently to my enjoyment.

By the way, one Sunshine Pop band, "Harpers Bizarre," was originally called "The Tikis." It didn't seem to go much beyond the name, though, and this discussion of it here was brief:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24960&forum=1

I never thought I would be linkin' to my bros from Chico, CA THE MOTHER HIPS here on TC... but since the topic has been brought up. The Hips music will always remind me of good times with close friends, living and traveling in golden California.

Greg Loiacono has been a favorite non surf guitarst of mine for years, Greg and Tim's harmonizing and song writing skill can be compared to some of the best.. Check em out for some modern sunshine pop.

"I try to find ways to relate this stuff to tiki." -thomas-

One could try and make strained connections but that'd kinda be like wonderin' which major appliance brand is "most Tiki" ("Frigidaire is too cold, but does Hotpoint seem too hot???")

When I hear this music, the original or modern takes on it, I am inclined to think of jugs of cheap wine and happily buzzed sunshiney afternoons. Or maybe Coca-Cola and teachin' the world to sing.

That said I think the Sunshine Pop major appliance brand would be Magic Chef.

Pages: 1 10 replies