Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica for the Uninitiated...

Pages: 1 9 replies

I need some suggestions. First of all, would you consider music playing in the background of a web site while viewing said web site, as long as there is a way to stop or pause the music, annoying or cool? That's quite the loaded question...

See, I'm in the process of creating an online version of my portfolio - graphic design, photography, and original music - and the entire web site has a simplified tiki/exotica theme - think 1950's hotel/lounge matchbook covers. Odd, I know but inspiration often springs forth from the strangest of places! That being said, it's too darn plain. I designed the site on the sparse side so the content would truly shine, but now it just needs that something extra - a bit of magic to set it apart from the masses, and I'm thinking I can achieve a multi-sensorial effect by adding some background music to it. I want visitors to my site to feel as though they've entered another realm, crossed a threshold into an exciting, new world and so exotica music would be the natural choice. However, to the uninitiated, it can be an acquired taste what with the bird calls and dissonant chords and everything. I, myself, can only take it in small doses. So if you were faced with a similar dilemma, what would you consider the most mood evoking exotica tracks that:

a) aren't sleepy
b) aren't too in your face (I want something mid-tempo)
c) wouldn't make the average non-tiki enthusiast chuckle at the absurdity of the music, and
d) does the best job of creating that quintessential "vibe" we all know and love?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Peace,
Peter

TB

I've got a few tunes you might find useful. And as I wrote them, I would gladly let a fellow tikiphile use them on a website.
Go to:

http://www.mindshaftmusic.com/exotica_project.htm

have a listen and let me know what you think.

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: tiki bill 2008-02-20 19:26 ]

Those are some sweet tunes, Tiki Bill! How did you get all those different sounds in there? Surely you don't play all those instruments! I tried writing some little ditty on an acoustic guitar for my web site, some quietly strummed chords and such, but it all ended up sounding pop/rock, not laid back Hawaiian at all! I'm still considering other tunes but I may include one of yours and if I do, I will surely provide a link and credit where it's due. :) Thanks!

So far, I'm thinking 3 or 4 songs rotating in the background will be sufficient. I'm currently considering:

1. Herbie Mann - "The Amazon River," from "Flautista! Herbie Mann Plays Afro-Cuban Jazz." I know it's not exotica per se, but the percussion is nice and savage-lite sounding. Even though the track is over eight minutes long, it does the job of evoking another time and place. Come to think of it, I may do a fade edit on the song just to keep it from going on too long.

2. Martin Denny - "Miserlou," from, though not originally, "Ultra-Lounge vol. 1: Mondo Exotica!"

Those two tracks are definite keepers. They're not so "out there" that the casual web surfer wouldn't be inclined to listen for at least half a minute before choosing to pause or stop the music player on my potential web site.

Peace,
Peter

TB

No I didn't play EVERYTHING on those tunes. A good bud Hiram Hazley played upright bass, and another friend, Joe Lala, the drummer from "Blues Experience", played bongos and congas. But the arangements and the rest of the instrumentation is all me.
Peace and good luck with your website,

Tiki Bill.

G

Tiki Bill ROCKS!! Well, okay, exotica music doesn't "rock", but you know what I mean... So where is that Super Audio exotica CD we are all so anxiously waiting for from you Bill? :wink:

TB

I'm working on it. Just have to get all the commercial crap that pays the bills done first. SOON, I promise. Ckeck out Tikiaki as well, good stuff!

Tiki Bill.

G

Ah... bills, schmills. YOU, my friend, need to get your priorities in order! O-kaaay, I guess I'll wait. :wink:

T

Bill, I feel your pain...I've been trying to get record # 2 on track for a while now, and just can't seem to find the time to really focus on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I wound up selecting a mix of 10 tracks, culled from exotica, bossa nova, and afro-cuban albums, both vocal and instrumental. In my constant tweakings over the past few days, the site evolved into a sophisticated tiki theme. I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go - all out jungle or Las Vegas-ified tiki and I think I reached a happy medium; Sophisticated Savage? Hmmm. It kind of reminds me of a 1050s nightclub. I have no idea why!

The songs I posted are just to get something up there for now (although they weren't chosen without consideration) and I'm sure they'll change. I'm seriously considering some of the tracks posted/recommended in this topic. The whole site is a MAJOR work in progress (I'll certainly be keeping busy during the next week!) but take a look at what I have so far and let me know what you think!

http://www.experiencedejavoodoo.com

Peace,
Peter

Pages: 1 9 replies