Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

steve crane-kon tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

does anyone know where all the carved wood on the interior of the Kon Tiki's came from? was it real original carving ,or reproductions of the real thing.a couple examples would be this panel

and this

i know the panel is from a NZ meeting house but is it real or repro?

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-02-21 13:56 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2008 2:15 PM

On 2008-02-21 13:54, TIKI DAVID wrote:

i know the panel is from a NZ meeting house but is it real or repro?

Definitely repro and pretty loosely interpreted too (but very cool regardless).

or these poles

or these panels

David, your best bet is to e-mail Oceanic Arts with that question, you can refer to this post, Bob does go on TC sometimes. If THEY did not make these, they might still know who did.

I learned he got some from James B. Casey of CA.

See: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=25091&forum=7&start=15

It is always heartening to see your stellar newspaper archive research again, pappy! I had the good fortune to have Tangaroa take me over to Jim Casey's house while he was still alive. I don't think any of the stuff that David shows here is by him.... but O.A. should be the final judge. They should look at your dug up articles and say how many of those guys they knew!

Mr. Casey passed away too? Did you ever get the feeling you started researching about ten years too late? I guess you can never start too early. I'd sure like to get to OA this year.

Pages: 1 7 replies