Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

idea/question for the artists/carvers here...

Pages: 1 9 replies

has anyone done a tiki totem that includes a: Marq/png/cook/moai/Maori/Ku all one on top of another (totem style)? just curious, as Ive been working on ideas for a tattoo which would sleeve my forearm. i originally was thinking of getting them all side by side, but now thinking it may look better as a totem.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 5:38 PM

Great idea, i don't think there's enough tiki art that incorporates different tiki styles together. A while ago someone carved a multi-faced tiki, with like 3 or 4 different style tikis carved into it. No idea who it was or what they referred to it as, so I cant find the pics. It was pretty good though! Maybe someone else remembers it?

This is a bowl I designed along similar lines, I titled it the "The Keepers of the South Pacific". From the 4 corners of the South Pacific these tiki gods watch over the Ocean and all the life in it. The Eastern corner is represented by Easter Island (right), the South is New Zealand (top), the North is Hawaii (left) and the West is Papua New Guinea (middle). The rim of the bowl is shaped like the top of the waves, and engraved into the side are all manner of marine life from the South Pacific.

yes, thats what i mean, got the idea from an adrift png totem style shirt. i really enjoy all the different south pacific carving styles, so i can really just pick one for the tattoo.

let me know if you ever produce that bowl hewey, it looks great.

anyone else?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 7:04 PM

Have a look at congatiki's thread - he's done some really cool pieces with various styles mixed together in the same design (but maybe not 6-in-1!)

Ive checked out his stuff, but dont remember any totem style carvings with multiple styles, so ill have to go back thru the thread.....anyone else have any reference points for something like this? wouldnt matter if it was a drawing/painting/carving/etc.....just looking for ideas/inspiration, as I'm NOT an artist so its not like i can whip this up ....lol

Like this?

Buzzy Out!

Thanks for the referral Paipo!
I have done a couple two-figure totems...but nothing with six.
But hey...It's a heck of an idea and I might do it now that I have a
bunch of 8 footers in my yard.
I did one that is a mix of tiki and nw coast eagle....it's on page one
of my thread if anyone is interested.

buzzy, kinda sort of. at least that cut and paste gives me an idea of how it would look. i think the order in which they were totemed could really effect if it looked good or not.conga nice stuff,and if you do one, please post pics, would love to see it.

anyone else have any pics/thoughts/ideas on this?

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-02-23 12:38 ]

S

Hala,

Well, here is a tiki totem that I did on a swordfish bill. Doesn't necessarily represent the tiki styles that you mentioned. It was my first effort and I just sketched out a few different tikis from images I saw online. The more time I spend on here I see where I could have spent more time researching the actual tiki styles and some more time in the carving as well. Next one will be better.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26840&forum=7&2

looks good, any other thoughts/comments/suggestions/opinions?

Pages: 1 9 replies